Canaan vs Douthat?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Canaan vs Douthat?

The reason i ask is simple,never ridden Canaan.

Four of us are planning several spring camping trips to various mtnbike destinations.
    We already have Pipestem,Kanawha reserved and are now debating over Douthat and Canaan.
    I know......why don't we do both....we have families.
    I've been to Douthat 25-30 times and would like to try Canaan and i'm in-charge of convincing the others.

My question to those that have ridden both,can we expect the same kind of riding at Canaan as we get at Douthat,we like long XC riding not endless rock gardens.
    We all ride 4-5" travel full squish XC bikes.

Thanks

www.justthebonnet.com
    Hmm, you can find some smooth trails in Canaan/Davis area, but they will be lotz more rocky than anything at Douthat. Canaan is great riding, not as much elevation changes as Douthat since you are already on top of the mtn at Davis. Great technical trails like Plantation, CVI Trails, some absurb Rocky Knob trail we rode last year, but they are littered with rocks, roots, bog mud, etc.

Douthat, since you've been there is very tame in terms of rocks, roots, etc. The Douthat trails are well groomed, fast & fun with lots of elevation change. Flowing is the simple one word definition.

I think you should at least check out Canaan area, its a great place to ride (my 2nd favorite in the area after Slatyfork), the CVI trails are not as rocky. Its just a fun place to visit & ride. Real chill town with good burritos, a brew pub, etc to chill at after a ride vs. just the campsite at Douthat.

Change is good!
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

spooge is gone!
    I'd say skip Pipestem & Kanawah and do Canaan twice. More options=More fun.
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yes, please stay away from Kanawha. No riding there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    I hate to say any negative about a local area to me,but,Pipestem is very limited in rides.Just a few hours and the horses turn a lot of it in spring to a muddy-poop soup.
    The park has a lot going for it,and the rides is ok-but latter in the dry is better.
    Go Cannan-or Slatey Fork/Tea Creek-or DragonsBack in Va
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

the unvarnished nonsense
    I'll ditto what Capt. Phun said; Douthat is aerobically challenging but not really technical. Canaan is absurdly tech riding, although there are some sweet flowy trails here and there. Since you haven't been to Canaan, go there over Douthat and cancel the Pipestem reservation and hit up Slatyfork.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just what i was looking for,
    will skip Pipestem " -$10 res fee" and pencil in Canaan and Slaty fork.

I can do Douthat anytime as i only live 1hr away on the WV line but half the fun is staying at unequalled WV state parks.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird
    The reason i ask is simple,never ridden Canaan.

Four of us are planning several spring camping trips to various mtnbike destinations.
    We already have Pipestem,Kanawha reserved and are now debating over Douthat and Canaan.
    I know......why don't we do both....we have families.
    I've been to Douthat 25-30 times and would like to try Canaan and i'm in-charge of convincing the others.

My question to those that have ridden both,can we expect the same kind of riding at Canaan as we get at Douthat,we like long XC riding not endless rock gardens.
    We all ride 4-5" travel full squish XC bikes.

Thanks
    Bird, Canaan is on my short list too. Would have done by now, if it weren't so far. Davis is a cool town, I ski there probably once a year and always enjoy it.

Where do you live in WV? Can you take Davis's place as the most local Slatyfork Shuffle resident?

For long XC riding, the trails outside the park at Douthat are good stuff. Lasso Loop off the North end of Middle Mountain is good (Middle Mountain race XXC course). My favorite is Middle Mountain South into Fore Mountain trail. A little rough, but not too bad (gets better where it becomes Fore Mountain trail). Can take that one all the way to Covington if you so desired. Some other trails are currently being built connecting with Fore Mountain Trail on the Covington end. All good.

www.justthebonnet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider
    Can you take Davis's place as the most local Slatyfork Shuffle resident?
    BLASPHEMY!!!!

No one could ever replace davis.
    Kneel before the empty bottle of shine & pool of vomit & beg for forgiveness!
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey CCR,
    I won't de-throne Davis regarding Slaty.
    I'm actually a VA resident but only live 15 mins from Perry WV,ever heard of Wolf Gap.

I've been riding and camping in WV for many years and have yet to ride Canaan or Slaty fork.
    I spend most of my time around Trout run valley and also Marlington "Watoga,Cranberry Glades&river" and have ridden as far west as Stonewall.

As far as Douthat,i like the whole outside loop.
    I go up Ross camp and come down Brushy hollow then up Stoney Run and down Salt stump to Backway hollow.
    I always do everything clockwise at Douthat.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    BLASPHEMY!!!!

I beg I beg; ah really just checking to see if the Shuffle crew is paying attention. Broke the mold with Davis; King of wing cooking, story telling, and funny jokes. Iím glad I donít own any stock in any Marlington beer stores.

Davis, I hope you can make the Shuffle this year. I am going to try and make it again.

song of the saw-whet owl
    good choice on canaan! hit me up if you want a tour guide or to map out some great ridin for ya.
    just another piece of chaga

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    BLASPHEMY!!!!

<sniff> You really know how to make a guy feel special, Captain.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Because I am !
    Bird,

definately hit up oldnoob as a tour guide. I thought I knew the trails around Davis pretty
    well until we started riding with oldnoob last year. He can show you some spectacular
    riding up there, especially if you like the rocky stuff.

We have lots of posts with pics on here. Just search Davis, WV and you should get
    several. You can also check out the trails section on singletracks.com I find it easier
    to post new trails on there.

When you get to Davis, do not miss the opportunity to hit up Hellbender Buritos and
    Sirianis and sample the local brew.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    Let me know when you are around cause I will come join for some riding, kive outside Elkins so Davis/Canaan is 35 mins. There is some extra trails to ride you can get the GPS from JR Petsko. Oldnoob, send the link, I can't find it.

I fifth your choice to skip P&K and go to Davis. Get a campsite at Blackwater or take a crap bucket and squatter a spot on Camp 70 road. Stop in to Blackwater Bikes for some BS and directions from Roger. It would not be complete without this.
    Can you hook that up to your car?.......

Members who have read this thread: 0