Can someone show me around?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Can someone show me around?

I am coming to McDowell, VA at the end of the month and was wondering if there would be anyone willing to show me around out there, Im not sure yet which days I will be able to ride, I'm just gauging whether i should bring my Specialized Pitch or not. I had mentioned to my Mother-in-Law that I would like to ride while we are there for her family reunion, and she went out and bought me a Bones bike rack, so im on the hunt to find some trails. I just don't want to be lost in the mountains for a few days
    For those that are interested, I can handle it all, Climbs, steep technical descents, etc.

mtbr member
    Had to google McDowell as I have no idea where it was. You may have better luck trying to find somebody in Staunton or Harrisonburg.

If all else fails, call James at Black Dog Bikes. He runs some rides almost every weekend.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

I am the owl
    Lots of great riding not far from where you will be. Google "Southern Traverse IMBA Epic" and "SM 100 race". Check in with Shenandoah Mountain Touring if you want a personal guide. Or pick up the National Geographic map of the area and do some exploring if you can't find a guide.

Southern Traverse by sso, on Flickr
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx View Post
    Or pick up the National Geographic map of the area and do some exploring if you can't find a guide.
    Lots of great riding for sure, I wouldn't recommend going at it alone though. These trails can be very remote and if you get lost, or fall, nobody would find you as cell service is very spotty throughout the area.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    These trails can be very remote and if you get lost, or fall, nobody would find you as cell service is very spotty throughout the area.
    Agree it is better to have a local guide, but if you can't get one, I (personally) would be comfortable about riding out there alone rather than not riding at all. It is really about the rider and their comfort level. Good practices and preparation go a long way (letting someone know your route, when you'll return, have the right gear with you, etc.). But you need to know what you are in for and if you are comfortable with it. And good point about the cell phone, too many people depend on them and out there you'd be better off with a flint and steel to make smoke signals
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.