Can anyone tell me about Patapsco- Mtbr.com
    And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

Can anyone tell me about Patapsco

i'm thinking of taking a road trip the first weekend in march and I've heard that Patapsco is a good place to ride. I'm looking for technical single track to be ridden on a hard tail. i was wondering if anyone could tell me about it and if anyone has pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Good job!

I live right near patapsico. Definitily bring your bike its an awsome place to ride. TheProphet has some pics i think. They have a little of everything there you can find crazzy steep downhills and long uphills. Definitly bring your bike when you come down and meet up with some people on here to ride. Its a great place to ride and it has something for riders of every level.

mtbr member

Awfully wet in March...

Quote Originally Posted by guava
    i'm thinking of taking a road trip the first weekend in march and I've heard that Patapsco is a good place to ride. I'm looking for technical single track to be ridden on a hard tail. i was wondering if anyone could tell me about it and if anyone has pics.
    Patapsco does not dry out very well this time of year.
    I would suggest going up to Gambrill State Park in Frederick, MD. Check it out in the review section of mtbr.
    Last edited by RetroG; 01-30-2006 at 07:05 AM.

Unit 91
    Yes, Patapsco has problems drying. I would say when you come, if it has rained in the past 48 hours, dont go. But yes, it has something for everyone. Shoot me a PM when you are in the area or are going to be here soon and I will organize a ride for you and show you around. Its a fun park, you just have to know which trails to ride and which way to take them. I will be glad to show you around if the weather is good and I am sure bballboy388 wouldnt mind coming.

Here is a cool steeper than it looks downhill that is at the bottom of this really fun desent.
    Bikes

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004
    Thanks , I'll check out Gambrill State Park.From every thing I've read about patapsco , is that it's a fun ride but the drainage situation seems to be a problem.

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

Gambrill or Patapaco

I see that both are nice places to ride and not too far from where I live. I'm looking for difficult/ technical trails, mainly single track, are either of these two place like that. I'm also wondering about the cold/snow factor, (it's snowing up here in ny).

Unit 91
    Weather wise....it was 63 yesterday, then rained today and the temperature dropped to about 45. Supposed to be high 40's tomorrow with no snow in sight. Which is a huge bummer. I'd say go Patapsco.
    Bikes

another bozo on the bus
    id say go to gambrill/ watershed. always gambrill except on thanksgiving when everyone goes to patapsco. i just really prefer gambrill. i feel as a whole its more tech and there is more to ride. i have done 8 hour rides there and know there are trails that go way out which would be a camping trip.

gray hair in my shammy

Check trail conditions first

Quote Originally Posted by RetroG
    Patapsco does not dry out very well this time of year.
    I would suggest going up to Gambrill State Park in Frederick, MD. Check it out in the review section of mtbr.
    Agree with Retro, Unless We get a hard freeze, or a stretch of dry sunny weather, Patapsco will stay pretty wet through the spring. Check here for trail conditions.

http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showth...0759#post20759
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"

Feb 2006
    gambril / the watershed is a great place to ride it drains very well because it is so rocky and it is very tech, i love the place. there is nothing wrong with avalon its just not as tech in general and like everyone else said unless its frozen it is generally a mucky mess in the winter/spring

Members who have read this thread: 0