camping near showshoe- Mtbr.com

Oct 2004

camping near showshoe

ANyone know a place to camp near snowshoe? I am going there at the end of the month and I am not having much luck finding a campground

Not sure what to type?

Tea Creek Campground...

Quote Originally Posted by fatespendulum
    ANyone know a place to camp near snowshoe? I am going there at the end of the month and I am not having much luck finding a campground
    Not sure how close your wanting to Snowshoe, but Tea Creek Campground is really nice and smack dab in the middle of the Slatyfork trail system. It's about 15 minutes from Snowhoe.

Here's the link: Tea Creek Campground
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

the unvarnished nonsense
    Whitaker Campground lies off of Route #66 between Snowshoe and the town of Cass. Never stayed there, can't tell you anything about what they offer. Tea Creek is probably closer to 30 minutes from the top of Snowshoe Mtn. Lots of primitive camping available throughout the National Forest.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Yeah, I'm a n00b
    I stayed at Whitaker a few years back. The campground sits next to part of the Cass Scenic Railroad. That'll wake you up in the morning if you decide to sleep in. If I remember, it wasn't much on facilities - it had a bath house, and I think the guy sold firewood, but stuff just didn't look very well-kept. Whitaker is probably a 15-20 minute drive to the top of the mountain itself. About 10 to the bottom if you're going to take the shuttle.
    2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara.
    Totally McStock.

Oct 2004

Whitaker

I tried calling whitaker 5 times and jsut got an answering machine. Left my name and never got a call back. I found out though that there is no driving to the lift that you have to ride in or get shuttled and they say they can't take bikes. That sucks

May 2005
    Are there any campgrounds close to Snowshoe that would NOT classify as roughin' it? Ya know, like with nice clean bathrooms and showers? When I camp I like to basically feel like I'm in my backyard.

Oct 2004

roughing it

I like to rough it but it is really just one night. The biggest thing is i like to grill out and bring a cooler with me. I am not carring all this stuff down a mile of trail at snowshoe. When i camp near Mountain Creek I just pull my truck into a spot open up the tailgate unload my grill rollout a sleeping bag in the truck bed grabb a beer out of the cooler and I am camping so i guess I am not quite roughing it. Anyone riding snowshoe this weekend I might just roll down early Sunday ride all day adn drive back to MD since all my friends bailed on me.

[QUOTE=Hot Butter Topping]Are there any campgrounds close to Snowshoe that would NOT classify as roughin' it? Ya know, like with nice clean bathrooms and showers? When I camp I like to basically feel like I'm in my backyard.[/QUOTE/]

May 2005
    True true, if it's just one night i can certainly go without a shower.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fatespendulum
    You can camp in the Silvercreek parking lot for free. Do a search on Ridemonkey for Snowshoe camping for more info as there are many threads over there on the subject.