Campgrounds near carvin's cove?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Campgrounds near carvin's cove?

Wife and I want to come up from NC in a couple of weeks and get some riding in around Roanoke. We have looked at all of the info on carvin's cove and like what we see. We want to bring our small camper up and spend a few nights.

What if any campgrounds are open till the end of November around Roanoke? Also other than carvin's cove what else close to the area would be a good place to get some good mileage in (the more singletrack the better) Thanks for any help, we have searched alot, but since we have never been there its tough to sort it out.

mtbr member
    Well, if you have never been to the Noke then I would recommend biking up Mill Mountain. Home to Roanokes "star". Great ride, tough, but very rewarding because you get to over look the whole city at the top. Not sure about campgrounds...I would call Just the Right Gear (they are located right before you get to the Cove, and where you can get your passes) and ask....Steve, the owner, is very knowledgeable of the area.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Theres a campground near Dixie Caverns more of a RV park
    Dixie Caverns and Pottery Shop provides tours of the only caverns in southwest Virginia and includes a store full of pottery, rocks, minerals, Christmas items and souvenirs. Woops, couldn't bring the URL over without getting the advertisement.

Not much around really for camping - a couple of spots near Buchanan. North Creek campground (primitive) and Jellystone (I think, showers and stuff - but not sure of open dates)

Carvins Cove is great, because of all the climbs it will take you 2 days to ride most of it.

Mill Mountain is good, more of an afternoon ride but locals can squeeze 2 - 2.5 hours out of it. Trail layout is tricky - I ride there all the time PM me if you want a tour.
    Explore Park is in pretty good shape right off of the Parkway 12 miles or so.

Highly recommend Douthat State Park too, 1 hr 15 min north. Camping is good there too. Pandapas Pond has good trails too, near Blacksburg.

If you are into techy stuff with punishing climbs there is Dragons Back near Catawba in the national forest. Lots of stuff in the national forest, but I would recommend riding that with a local. Dragons Back is well signed though, most of the other national forest stuff is not.
    Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I second the Dixie Caverns campground. Also, I second the Explore Park for riding, next to Carvins Cove, that is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've stayed at Dixie before, but wondering if anyone has stayed at Breeden's up in Buchanan.

Home Page
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

mtbr member
    I wouldn't want to drive that far... I hate I-81 though. From what I can find with Google, sounds pretty simple though.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...