C and O to W & OD- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

C and O to W & OD

I am planning on doing a bike packing trip from DC to White's Ferry to Leesburg and back down to DC. What are the lodging options on the W & OD portion? This will be a 3 night, 4 day trip with 2 young children. More particularly, We are looking to ride approx 20 miles a day.

Also, what fun activities are on the W & OD portion?

Thanks for any help.

I am the owl
    Not sure on suggestions for the W&OD portion, but from White's Ferry to Leesburg where you will pick up the W&OD, it is pretty busy roads for a couple of miles. Shoulder is pretty wide as I recall and most cyclists would be OK, but since you'll have young children I figured you may want a heads up.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thank you. I read the Hampton Inn in Leesburg with shuttle you back and forth to the C and O so I figured we would try that. You are right though, we won't be road riding on busy roads with the children so if there is no shuttle then we aren't doing it. It's really the stretch from Leesburg to Arlington that I was wondering about lodging. We can always go out and back on the C and O, but I prefer a loop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jski View Post
    Thank you. I read the Hampton Inn in Leesburg with shuttle you back and forth to the C and O so I figured we would try that. You are right though, we won't be road riding on busy roads with the children so if there is no shuttle then we aren't doing it. It's really the stretch from Leesburg to Arlington that I was wondering about lodging. We can always go out and back on the C and O, but I prefer a loop.
    If you spend the night in Leesburg, it's only 15 miles from there to Herndon, where I live, which I consider the western edge of civilization :-) As such, there are an unlimited number of places to stay in the Herndon/Reston stretch of the WOD, which would give you another full day of riding back to Arlington. I'd consult your favorite Internet search engine for additional details.

Members who have read this thread: 0