mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Business trip to Ashburn VA, looking for trails

Hey guys, I may be taking a month-long trip to Ashburn, VA in May. I live on Long Island, NY, so I'm used to LI's XC trails. Asked on my local group's FB page and multiple people suggested Fountainhead. Watched some videos and that place looks like a lot of fun. Any other suggestions? I ride a Titus RX-1, 4" travel front and rear XC bike on 26" wheels. Thanks in advance.

-Steve.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    There's a ton of buff, flow-style (at least mostly) trails across the river in Montgomery County Maryland. I'd definitely check that out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice, thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I usually ride at Lake Fairfax and the Cross County Trail, which is a few miles south and east of Ashburn (I think Lake Fairfax is in Reston if that helps orient you). They're fun local trails. Probably not destination-worthy, but fun enough if you're there with a bike.

I also really like Fountainhead. I guess that is around 60 minutes driving about directly south of Ashburn.

I am the owl
    Since you'll be there for a month, I suggest venturing further out on the weekends. Roughly the same distance as Fountainhead, you'll find Gambrill State Park and the Frederick Watershed to the north. More rocky and technical than anything else you'll find close by. Montgomery County trails are plenty fun too.

Just beware, week day traffic is a nightmare.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks riderx. I don't yet know where my training facility will be in regards to the hotel, hoping traffic won't be too big of an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    wakefield park is not that far from ashburn and right off of the 495 for a quick fix
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx View Post
    Since you'll be there for a month, I suggest venturing further out on the weekends. Roughly the same distance as Fountainhead, you'll find Gambrill State Park and the Frederick Watershed to the north. More rocky and technical than anything else you'll find close by. Montgomery County trails are plenty fun too.

Just beware, week day traffic is a nightmare.
    This, Also Freedom Center in Lovesville right before the bridge into Maryland if you like really twisty trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well, guys, I'm packing my stuff and heading to VA later on today. Turns out the information I had originally wasn't entirely accurate. My stay will be 3 weeks, not 4. I'll be staying at the National Conference Center in Leesburg and training at a different facility in Ashburn. So, really, I'll have just two weekends to play around and have fun. Not sure if I'll have the chance/enough time to get out and ride on a weekday afternoon but maybe. There are a few other places I'd love to visit while I'm in the area, hiking trails, Smithsonian Air & Space museum, NRA museum, maybe see the sights around DC.

I'll post again when I'm able to get out for a ride, in hopes of meeting some locals on the trail. I try not to ride alone very often, if at all - especially in a place I've never been before. Thanks for all the advice. See you in Virginia!
    -Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by straycatkid View Post
    Well, guys, I'm packing my stuff and heading to VA later on today. Turns out the information I had originally wasn't entirely accurate. My stay will be 3 weeks, not 4. I'll be staying at the National Conference Center in Leesburg and training at a different facility in Ashburn. So, really, I'll have just two weekends to play around and have fun. Not sure if I'll have the chance/enough time to get out and ride on a weekday afternoon but maybe. There are a few other places I'd love to visit while I'm in the area, hiking trails, Smithsonian Air & Space museum, NRA museum, maybe see the sights around DC.

I'll post again when I'm able to get out for a ride, in hopes of meeting some locals on the trail. I try not to ride alone very often, if at all - especially in a place I've never been before. Thanks for all the advice. See you in Virginia!
    -Steve
    I'm local and ride both Wakefield and Fountainhead. If you're around this weekend riding just shoot me a message. Have a good trip

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I did an xc race at a place called Freedom center in Leesburg a couple years ago. I thought it was pretty fun. Definitely XC type trails and a pretty short loop (5ish miles).
    I think it's open to ride any time and even allows night riding one evening during the week.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Since you're in Leesburg definitely check out Lake Fairfax, Fountainhead in VA, and Gambril and SRT (Seneca Ridge Trail) in Maryland. Wakefield is fun, but with traffic and drive time you're better off going to Lake Fairfax at that point.

Gambril is rocky, but it's a ton of fun to ride and definitely worth it. SRT, sounds up your alley with flow buff single track. Also a fun ride, but I'd check these two out on the weekend.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by james.stoup View Post
    Gambril is rocky, but it's a ton of fun to ride and definitely worth it.
    I recently loaded a Gambrill route to MTB Project. It's a figure 8 that maximizes the best downhills.
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7025048
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx View Post
    I recently loaded a Gambrill route to MTB Project. It's a figure 8 that maximizes the best downhills.
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7025048
    That's the only way to ride yellow!