Bruceton Mills, WV & Snowshoe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bruceton Mills, WV & Snowshoe

We are heading to Bruceton Mills and probably Snowshoe at the beginning of June. What the 'must ride' trails around Bruceton? Where should we buy groceries or go out to dinner? Hang out? Any good wine bars? How will the trail conditions be?

Same info requested for Snowshoe unless you can recommend a better place in the general vicinity.

We live in Greenville, SC and usually ride Pisgah and DuPont. We are looking for similar trails, but something different.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Bruceton Mills - Big Bear Lake

Snowshoe - Gauley Mtn (Slatyfork) & Cranberry

Dinners - On your own

Weather is unpredictable

mtbr member
    Thanks Pisgah, I will look into those trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The terrain is every bit as unforgiving as Pisgah, in some places moreso (especially Snowshoe area). Gauley is the obvious place near snowshoe. Cranberry is pretty far away. Snowshoe itself has good trails, but not as remote. Big Bear is a no-brainer.

mtbr member
    This is our plan for now, subject to weather and my hip:

Have the car packed Thursday night and leave home Friday morning
    Short ride at Douthat or Carvins Cove
    Stop in Fayetteville for the night
    Saturday- hike in Gauley Valley
    Sunday- arrive in Bruceton Mills, afternoon ride
    Monday- run/hike (RAGNAR recon-hip dependent)
    Tuesday- ride Big Bear
    Wednesday- ride Big Bear again then head to Snowshoe. Shoot skeet and maybe dune buggy in afternoon.
    Thursday and Friday- ride Snowshoe and/or Tea Creek
    Saturday- leave for home and ride Douthat, Poverty Creek or Carvins Cove if time and energy levels allow.
    Sunday- buy lottery tickets so we can do this every week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you mean Fayetteville WV then you should ride some of the trails just outside of town.
    Several stacked loops with nice flowy terrain and a smattering of tech.
    Also near Bruceton Mills is Coopers Rock which has some decent single track. On your way to Snowshoe you could stop in Davis where there is some extraordinary single track.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

the best riding in the bruceton mills area is at Quebec run

I used to live in 26525

you really owe to yourself to get up to Quebec run- just north of the Pa/wv line when i lived there i felt it was the best place in the region.

from rt 26 cross bridge into bruceton mills, take 1st right compressor station road becomes skyline drive (the top of QR is along skyline but i would suggest continuing , turning right on mud pike-quebec rd and use parking lot on right half way down the hill).

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8013839/quebec-run

Quote Originally Posted by Dougr View Post
    If you mean Fayetteville WV then you should ride some of the trails just outside of town.
    Several stacked loops with nice flowy terrain and a smattering of tech.
    Also near Bruceton Mills is Coopers Rock which has some decent single track. On your way to Snowshoe you could stop in Davis where there is some extraordinary single track.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hit up Big Bear. You won't be disappointed. If you can, download the Maplets app on your phone and look up the trailmap for Big Bear. It's a great app that will show you your location via GPS and uses the official Big Bear trail map that they'll give you at the entrance. Big Bear is private so it's a pay-to-play location. I heard that the price is $10 now but IDK since I have a season pass. IM me if you are looking for a trailguide. I may be able to do it.

Coopers Rock State Forest is another fun place and is about 10 minutes from Big Bear. Bruceton is inbetween Big Bear and Coopers.

As far as groceries, diner, etc...most of us go to Cheat Lake or M'Town. There's a truck-stop restaurant called "Little Sandy" in Bruceton. Typical greasy diner. Aside from the local BFS (convince store chain) that has a Subways, the only place to groceries is a Family Dollar. In M'town, Black Bear makes some killer wraps. If you like the sports bar thing, Kelgers in the center of town has my vote. And for breakfast, head to Tudors Biscuit World. I doubt you'll be disappointed. Of course, there's a couple Wal-Marts, 3 Krogers and a Shop-n-Save.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ride Quebec run!

Also, skip Carvins and ride Dragons Back. Park at the Dragon's tooth trailhead off 311, ride up north mountain trail and go down Turkey, then ride the FS road and climb Grouse and back down North Mtn back to your car. Real mountain biking at its best!

On your way back, you should ride Pandapas (poverty creek) next to Blacksburg. Park in the lower Heritage Park next to town, ride up the gateway trail, do a loop (anything is good) and back down gateway to your car.

mtbr member
    Work has been busy the last couple of weeks so I have not had much time for final trip planning, but I am finally getting to it.

Friday: leave Greenville, SC and head to Abingdon. Ride Warriors Path or Sugar Hollow. Stay in Abington for the night.

Saturday: hike Gauley area. Stay in Fayetteville fro the night

Sunday: drive to Bruceton Mills, Ride Big Bear. Scout trails for RAGNAR.
    Monday: ride Quebec City
    Tuesday: ride Coopers or trail run

Wednesday: drive to Snowshoe, ride
    Thursday: possible rest day and be a tourist (skeet and quad riding)
    Friday: ride Slaty or Snowshoe

Saturday: head home, possibly stop for the night somewhere.

We will be taking a lot of our food with us but will try Tudors Biscuit World, Black Bear, and Tin202. We will do additional shopping as needed and available.

How are most of the planned trails after a rain? I saw some pictures on FB of Snowshoe this past weekend and Jay was covered in mud. I am not adverse to mud, but hate to destroy two new drive trains.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ru-tang View Post
    Ride Quebec run!

Also, skip Carvins and ride Dragons Back. Park at the Dragon's tooth trailhead off 311, ride up north mountain trail and go down Turkey, then ride the FS road and climb Grouse and back down North Mtn back to your car. Real mountain biking at its best!

On your way back, you should ride Pandapas (poverty creek) next to Blacksburg. Park in the lower Heritage Park next to town, ride up the gateway trail, do a loop (anything is good) and back down gateway to your car.
    Looks like the Roanoke stop may have been dropped but just for the record, I would not say drop Carvin's Cove for Dragon's Back without a strong caveat... Carvin's Cove is a huge, super fun system with a lot of variety, whereas Dragon's back is a crazy punishing trail that has a couple different ways to run it all of which are super tough. I'd agree Dragon's Back is the more 'epic' of the two, but you have to be in the mood for it. Carvin's is always just plain old fun.

mtbr member
    The trip started out great, we rode at Warrior Path Friday, Arrowood on Saturday, and Bear Creek on Sunday. Then the fun stopped. I had a slow speed crash and dislocated my left shoulder. It popped back in and was able to ride out, that was the last trail I rode, three days into a nine day trip. I was able to do some great trail runs and rode on the Greenbrier Trail and Great Allehgeny Passage, but no single track. The shoulder is still sore and will be another two or three weeks before I can trail ride again. My PT told me I should not have been doing as long of runs as I did, so now I have to keep those short too. Boo hoo.
    Last edited by mtpisgah; 06-15-2017 at 09:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtpisgah View Post
    The trip started out great, we rode at Warrior Path Friday, Arrowood on Saturday, and Bear Creek on Sunday. Then the fun stopped. I had a slow speed crash and dislocated my left shoulder. It popped back in and was able to ride out, that was the last trail I rode, three days into a nine day trip. I was able to do some great trail runs and rode on the Greenbrier Trail and Great Allehgeny Passage, but no single track. The shoulder is still sore and will be another two or three weeks before I can trail ride again. My PT told me I should have been doing as long of runs as I did, so now I have to keep those short too. Boo hoo.
    If you rode Gauley Mtn, none of this would have happened...Just joking. I feel your shoulder pain. If it's stable, work it. You don't want a frozen shoulder.

And there's no crying in mountain biking.

mtbr member
    I would have ridden anything else if I thought it would have mattered. It wasn't even one of those wrecks you can brag about. I was creeping along because I had to make a sharp left turn, and just fell over.

It is stable and I am using it, just being careful. I swim and lift weights three times a week so that probably helped, but it's sucks that I Have to take it easy for a few weeks.