BRO's Best MTB Trail? - Tea Creek Mt. Trl.- Mtbr.com
    the unvarnished nonsense

BRO's Best MTB Trail? - Tea Creek Mt. Trl.

The Novemeber '08 Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine is a "best of" issue. They named Slatyfork's Tea Creek Mountain Trail as the best MTB trail in the southeast. I haven't ridden every trail in the southeast, but I agree that Tea Creek Mt is a hoot.

I do wonder about some of their picks, though. In the snowsport section, they named Snowshoe's Sawmill Glades as the best ski run in the region. Interesting choice since it was open for like all of three days last season (its first year). It's touted as a western-style tree run. Here's the real deal on Sawmill Glades: It only came into existence because Snowshoe ran out of time to cut trees. Due to the flying squirrel, Snowshoe only had so many days to clear trees for the 2 new planned runs that opened last season. Realizing they wouldn't get Sawmill completed, the workers started cutting "most" trees instead of all of the trees. If they had time, they would go back and finish the job. They didn't, so the resort touted a new third run, Sawmill Glades. When the Glades finally opened, it didn't have sufficient coverage and people were tearing up their decks and skis at an alarming rate. And just like that, it was closed.

How could BRO name this the best ski run? I doubt that anyone at the mag even got to take a trip through Sawmill Galdes. I wonder if Snowshoe's advertising money had any influence?
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Sawmill Glades is an interesting choice for best ski run in the Southeast. I don't ski Snowshoe; however, one of the biggest gripes I hear about the place is the lack of any "legal" tree runs plus the rigorous crackdown on out-of-bounds skiing there. This choice is especially odd given Timberline's well-established reputation for tree skiing with both sanctioned an unofficial runs across the mountain. Still, last season was awful for tree skiing everywhere in the Mid-Atlantic (at least for weekend riders like myself). The best tree runs at Timberline had sparse cover most of the season, and I don't recall skiing the trees at all last year.

I predict the tree runs at Tline will be better than ever this year - thanks to all the trail work done for the downhill mountain biking there. A lot of the glades have been cleared of dead-fall, and there are plenty of nice lines where the DH trails and ATV tracks were cut. Need some maps? Check out -http://www.damaps.net/wv/area/timberline

Now we just need to hope for the big snows to return to the WV Highlands this season.

Repo

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Davis I also have to wonder how BRO did their picks. By vote? One example, Carvins Cove I think was voted the best hiking area - but not even a mention of it as the awesome MTB area that it is. You will see 10 mountain bikes to every hiker out there - excepting the AT stretch on top that is barely accessible from the Cove area. Go figure.

song of the saw-whet owl
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman
    Sawmill Glades is an interesting choice for best ski run in the Southeast.
    hey repo! yeah very interesting choice... we just cleared "sawmill glades" this weekend tho and I must say it is sweet and steep! altho Whitegrass is in the mid-atl, not southeast

altho speaking of biking.. I must hit tea creek next year with the slaty crew damnit!
    just another piece of chaga

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider
    Davis I also have to wonder how BRO did their picks.
    Who knows. Some seem reasonable, some seem questionable. Just another opinion I suppose. Next year, they'll all be different. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike BRO. Its a fine publication for the region. I just don't care for "best of" editions. Also, bringing attention to a trail like Tea Creek Mt. may bring many more riders. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is a trail that could bring about some scary results for riders not prepared for such a steep, technical descent. I've seen some bad things happen up there when bikes leave the trail.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

www.justthebonnet.com
    Why would anyone want to to ride in WV anyway? Nothing there but blowdown trees.
    If people were smart they'd stay in PA or NJ where they came from
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

Members who have read this thread: 0