"Blue Balls" the new trail off of the top of Knuckle Buster- Mtbr.com
    Need Sleep

"Blue Balls" the new trail off of the top of Knuckle Buster

New Trail off to the left at the top of Knuckle Buster is close to linking up with other trail networks, try it out and keep it beat down!
    Go buy a Pizza

My little friends
    Does it connect with KB? If so, not sure how I missed it !
    Last edited by EABiker; 09-02-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Need Sleep
    Yes the Trail head is just off of KB up on the Hamburg Rd parking end.
    Go buy a Pizza

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Blue Balls is meant to be a single track connector to the Drop Trails/Little Canaan area. It is close to finished. There are two sections that need connected (less than 50 yards from connecting) and then it will be rideable from the top of Knucklebuster to a fire road close to the Little Canaan area. There will still be a short piece to add after that to get all the way to the Drop Trails. The current trail is close to 1.5 miles long and is definitely worth riding. It is twisty with some short ups and downs and some occasional rock moves thrown in. It is fairly similar to Knucklebuster.

bikeboatbrewski
    I thought BB stands for broken bottles.

My little friends
    I checked it out Monday morning in the dark mist... lotsa fun! Nice layout, those climbs were a cool feature to break things up. Rode it to Fishing Creek Rd, then up to the second part of Knuckle Buster for a quick loop. Great Job!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! The trail is now connected and complete to the fire road just off Fishing Creek Road. The entrance off Knucklebuster has been raked too so it is easily noticeable. I told several riders about the trail while I was out today so hopefully it saw some action. The final section to the Drop Trails will probably be another couple weeks until finished. I'm hoping BB gets tracked in before the leaves fall!

bikeboatbrewski
    Blue Balls sounds like a sausage fest or my last GF. Better wear some protection.

Nice job on the trail, BM told us about it last year and we rode some of the upper stuff. Have to get out on it to help wear it in. Maybe next week. What say you cocksmithers?

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Awesome! No more having to take the washed out Blue to the Drop Trails.... looking forward to giving it a ride.

My little friends
    ...Now if there was just an easy way to get back to the top!

Need Sleep
    Give me a" heads" up Scotty, I can maybe muster some energy after work one day.
    Go buy a Pizza

bikeboatbrewski
    Quote Originally Posted by cocksmith View Post
    Give me a" heads" up Scotty, I can maybe muster some energy after work one day.
    10-4, I will be at CONDO this Friday/Saturday, back at home base on Sunday for the big RUSH concert but Monday/Tuesday could be open for trail mayhem.

mtbr member
    sounds fun! Looking forward to checkin' R' out!!
    "Stay Upright!"

Need Sleep
    Rode down and back with Scotty today, Leaves are falling!! keep beating that thing up !
    Go buy a Pizza

My little friends
    Rode it again today; cleared a few pointy branches away from the trail. Was that deer skull there last week? Missed it if it was! This time took the fire road downhill to the blue for a change. Breaking in my new fork, so that was a nice combo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    1100 10111 ....
    Last edited by jabrabu; 09-27-2012 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

new section

I was out riding the other evening on BB and came to the normal fire road ending. As I was riding down toward Fishing Creek Road, I noticed a trail going over a boulder to my left going into the woods. I followed it and, much to my pleasure, I was rewarded with a new section of awesome flowy single track. This led to an area of boulders. When I got to the boulders, the vegetation got thick but I followed a faint trail to the left that connected to a more obvious trail that continued to wind around through several fun boulder moves. This eventually dumped me out at the double track near the top of the Drop Trails. Awesome section! It needs tracked in and the boulder section has pretty soft dirt and moss that will improve as it gets worn down. It is challenging and overall is a great ending to a sweet new trail!

Need Sleep
    I heard the Deer are doing a great Job this season on forming this Trail, cant wait to see what they have tracked in now !
    Go buy a Pizza

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm so glad this trail was put in because without it, you couldnt get from Hamburg to the Drop Trails without riding on the road.....and now you can! I can't wait to buy a rake at Home Depot and build my OWN trail at the Frederick VVatershed! Maybe I'll make one parallel in between the Blue trail and this new blue balls trail for people that dont want to take existing functional trails! Maybe before much longer we could have 8 or 10 more trails in that area, you know-- braiding in and out of each other and criss crossing and stuff-- that would be awesome!

Need Sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by Not1 View Post
    I'm so glad this trail was put in because without it, you couldnt get from Hamburg to the Drop Trails without riding on the road.....and now you can! I can't wait to buy a rake at Home Depot and build my OWN trail at the Frederick VVatershed! Maybe I'll make one parallel in between the Blue trail and this new blue balls trail for people that dont want to take existing functional trails! Maybe before much longer we could have 8 or 10 more trails in that area, you know-- braiding in and out of each other and criss crossing and stuff-- that would be awesome!
    That sounds really cool! Home Depot has a nice Rake selection, keep us posted on your progress
    Go buy a Pizza

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cocksmith View Post
    That sounds really cool! Home Depot has a nice Rake selection, keep us posted on your progress
    I'll definitely let the World know all about it here on this forum-- you know since the owners and managers of this Land can be kept abreast of my illegal activities on their property! ....and so that any numb-nut with a saw and the forethought of a middle-schooler will get the idea that people can just do whatever they want up there!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    is there a google maps link for this trail?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The whole world doesn't revolve around MORE and I would imagine that probably at least 50% of the riders in the mid-Atlantic never saw that post because they don't want to associate with them or their hypocrisy. I know they had a thread denouncing BB and below that was a thread with specific directions to Hairway to Steven where the poster was commended for providing such useful information. Sure, they'll whine about trailbuilding and act holier than thou but they are the same people who will show up in groups of 20 to ride those same "illegal" trails.
    I personally enjoy riding BB very much. It has good variety with some fun twisty sections and some good rock moves. Plus, it connects Hamburg to the Drop Trails, providing a fun way to get there instead of the washed out fire road that used to be your only option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    people have been using their hatred for MORE to justify their irresponsible behaviors for years. Its a smoke screen--- this has nothing at all to do with MORE--- it has everything to do with DNR being really pissed off about the massive trail sprawl and carefree illegal activity on the property which is seen (and in many recent cases, accurately so) as egregious and destructive, not to mention ugly.

Middle-schoolers are self-absorbed....they think the World revolves around them...they never consider the lasting impacts of their behaviors...they act impulsively....and when they get in trouble, they blame other people instead of taking responsibility for their actions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish24 View Post
    The whole world doesn't revolve around MORE and I would imagine that probably at least 50% of the riders in the mid-Atlantic never saw that post because they don't want to associate with them or their hypocrisy. I know they had a thread denouncing BB and below that was a thread with specific directions to Hairway to Steven where the poster was commended for providing such useful information. Sure, they'll whine about trailbuilding and act holier than thou but they are the same people who will show up in groups of 20 to ride those same "illegal" trails.
    I personally enjoy riding BB very much. It has good variety with some fun twisty sections and some good rock moves. Plus, it connects Hamburg to the Drop Trails, providing a fun way to get there instead of the washed out fire road that used to be your only option.
    You're missing the point. Trail access is not guaranteed at the watershed, it's not a "right", and squatter's rights won't mean anything. Look at Loch Raven as a prime example of how trail access can be taken away from MTBers (see Save The Raven - Loch Raven Reservoir information on ranger enforcement of Mountain Biking, Hiking, Bird Watching, Running, and Equestrian Activities for more information if you're not familiar). If they decided to close the trails, then they would start ticketing trail users, ticketing cars, whatever they have to do to make life difficult.

MORE is working with land managers, DNR, etc. to open up and/or ensure trail access for MTBers across the mid-atlantic including the watershed and loch raven. They are an advocacy organization, and you should be thankful to have such an organization on your side (despite your venom). There were times when you couldn't ride a lot of the trails in the area, and times when you couldn't ride at night, and MORE has done well for us to develop good relations with trail managers and owners and open up these trails for us.

mtbr member
    Whatever your opinion of MORE (I'm personally lukewarm on them at best), giving that thread a read is a good idea for anyone thinking of digging up there (or promoting their work publicly). The Shed has always been a weird place, legally, and I don't think people realize how easily we could lose riding privileges up there if things get out of hand. You have two management agencies (the city of frederick, who own the land, and MD DNR, who manage it for them), and neither are all that enthusiastic about mountainbiking, and the both definitely do not want it being a recreation destination.

Keeping things on the down low as much as possible is the smart thing to do.

Members who have read this thread: 0