Blacksburg help- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Blacksburg help

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    937

    Blacksburg help

    Hey!

    I was originally looking at moving from Atlanta, GA to Asheville, NC. Now Blacksburg may be an option as I may be going to school there. I'm looking for the best area to live in and need some help. In priority sequence: I want to be able to ride to the trails (ideally), have a house (rent), and be near campus. Also, is there a local website that's good for searching house rentals?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,878
    Quote Originally Posted by namrita
    Hey!

    I was originally looking at moving from Atlanta, GA to Asheville, NC. Now Blacksburg may be an option as I may be going to school there. I'm looking for the best area to live in and need some help. In priority sequence: I want to be able to ride to the trails (ideally), have a house (rent), and be near campus. Also, is there a local website that's good for searching house rentals?

    Thanks!
    The main trail system is the pandapas Pond area aka poverty creek / gap/brush mountain. The closest access to ride to it is via the Gateway trail aka Old farm. Otherwise it is a fairly short drive to the main parking lot at Pandapas pond off rt. 460

    maps are here:
    http://www.eastcoasters.com/maps/maps.htm

    You can ride to Old farm from anywhere near downtown and the Northern end of town in 10-15mins. If you live at the southern end towards Christiansburg it gets a little longer to ride to.

  3. #3
    www.justthebonnet.com
    Reputation: Capt_phun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Hey ashwinearl, you ride there regularly? I went for my first time this past weekend. Climbed up Snake Root and came down Jacobs Ladder, WHHHEEEE fun! Let me if you want to meet up to ride and have post ride drink beers afterwards. I might be hitting it up saturday if my trip to WV falls through.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

    I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl
    The main trail system is the pandapas Pond area aka poverty creek / gap/brush mountain. The closest access to ride to it is via the Gateway trail aka Old farm. Otherwise it is a fairly short drive to the main parking lot at Pandapas pond off rt. 460

    maps are here:
    http://www.eastcoasters.com/maps/maps.htm

    You can ride to Old farm from anywhere near downtown and the Northern end of town in 10-15mins. If you live at the southern end towards Christiansburg it gets a little longer to ride to.
    I'm from Roanoke, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area, but how do you ride to Pandapas from town? Where is the Gateway trail? A good friend lives right off campus, and we ride Pandapas a lot. But if we could ride to the trail from his condo, that would be even sweeter.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,878
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmCosmo
    I'm from Roanoke, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area, but how do you ride to Pandapas from town? Where is the Gateway trail? A good friend lives right off campus, and we ride Pandapas a lot. But if we could ride to the trail from his condo, that would be even sweeter.
    To get to the gateway trail go on Glade road near the Universtiy Blvd Kroger. It is the road that is between the Kroger and the University Blvd Mall.

    Take a right down Shadow Lake road
    At the bottom take a left on Meadowbrook (which is also Tom's Creek road)

    Within 50yards you'll see a paved path on the right that takes you to the Gateway trail AKA old farm.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/54586434/" title="Photo Sharing"><img src="https://static.flickr.com/28/54586434_88be7563d0.jpg" width="500" height="403" alt="mapimage" /></a>

    Take it to the top and it puts you on the Brush mountain jeep road right about the beast (Jacob's ladder) and just below Snake Root.

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    537
    Ahh. Cool. Thanks for the info...

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.