Bikes/dogs/RV. Where to go in VA or WV?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Bikes/dogs/RV. Where to go in VA or WV?

I'm from PA. I have Thanksgiving week off. The lady wants to rent an RV and do some biking/exploring in other areas. What would be a good place to park an RV and bike for a few days?

the unvarnished nonsense
    In WV, I'd park that RV in either Canaan Valley (Canaan Valley State Park or Blackwater Falls State Park) or near Slatyfork (Tea Creek Nat'l Forest Campground). In VA, I'd head for Douthat State Park. But that's just me. Of course, you might need XC skis or snowshoes to see those trails by late November.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the info. Is beer ok in state parks in WV or NC? Dogs leashed?

the unvarnished nonsense
    Beer is OK *everywhere* in my book. But seriously, I believe it is technically not permitted in all 4 places I mentioned. However, I have drank beer openly in all four places many times (ok, every time I've been there) and never had a problem.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Check out the GW outside of Harrisonburg also.

North River Campground is in the Nat'l Forest, and situated in the heart of the Shenandoah 100 loop. No RV hook ups that I'm aware of, it's primative camping, but there is a dump station along the way and I've seen plenty of RV camper type thangs along the roads there in the summer. There might, might, be RV type sites at a couple of the other camp/recreation spots, like Elkhorn Lake or HoneQuarry. The crew at SBC can fill you in with more details.

No real regulations to worry about, other than common sense, do unto others, etc...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Just a reminder. Thanksgiving week is usually prime rifle / deer season in Virginia. Not sure about West Virginia. Some parts of the National Forest are pretty heavily hunted then. Douthat has a controlled hunt for 3 days each of the 2 weeks before Thanksgiving, but no hunting Thanksgiving week. Not sure about the situtation in WV state parks or National Forest.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider
    Just a reminder. Thanksgiving week is usually prime rifle / deer season in Virginia. Not sure about West Virginia. Some parts of the National Forest are pretty heavily hunted then. Douthat has a controlled hunt for 3 days each of the 2 weeks before Thanksgiving, but no hunting Thanksgiving week. Not sure about the situtation in WV state parks or National Forest.
    Thanks, I'll have to think about that. I used to hunt, but in PA, rifle season comes in after Thanksgiving.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    No hunting in VA on Sundays, either.

Members who have read this thread: 0