Bike wrench moving to Shepherdstown area.- Mtbr.com

Mar 2005

Bike wrench moving to Shepherdstown area.

Is there any interest for a small service only shop in the Shepherdstown area? My wife and I will be moving there towards the end of the summer.

I am the owl
    The C&O canal is right across the river and Shepardstown is one of the best (and few) places for food stops. If you get the word out to Canal travelers they could probably be a big source of business for 1/2 of the year for a service shop.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Jun 2005
    Like riderx said the C&O is literally a minute from Shepherdstown plus I'm sure lots of students from the college there ride bikes. The Antietam Battlefield is also just up the road a few miles too & lots of cyclists ride there as well. Greenbrier State Park isn't very far away either with tons of good xc trails so it's not a bad area to be in I guess. I dunno if there will be enough business in the area to make it worthwhile though, but it's worth a shot. There aren't that many bike shops around here: Hub City up in Hagerstown and a few in Frederick (Under the Sun for example) all of which are a bit of drive. Good luck with the move though as this is a great area

she keep you buying rats

You'll likely have plenty of work...

<font face=verdana size=2>...as far as I know there is no bike shop doing service and/or sales for that matter in Sheperdstown.

7 or 8 miles west in Martinsburg, the town's only bike shop closed last year. So folks that live in the panhandle now need to haul their bikes all the way to Winchester, Hagerstown or Charles Town.

You'll be pretty near the middle of that area... you should be able to take in all the work you want. Even if you wanted to go crazy and open a storefront and do sales too, I don't see any reason why that couldn't succeed.

The WV panhandle is currently under-served when it comes to bikes.

;-)

Aug 2005
    there's a outfitters in town who might be able to steer business your way, although they don't sell bikes. lotsa cyclists in the area, though, so good luck.

Mar 2005
    Are you local Lodown? Is Greenbrier and Gambrill it for local mountain riding? Gimme the low down Lodown.

Aug 2005

That's pretty much it

Quote Originally Posted by WV Hippy
    Are you local Lodown? Is Greenbrier and Gambrill it for local mountain riding? Gimme the low down Lodown.
    Hippy - Yeah, I'm in Shepherdstown and the only places I've ridden locally (within a half-hour) are Gambrill and Greenbrier. Haven't yet done the Watershed or Catoctin trail. I've heard of some trails out toward Martinsburg, but it sounded like a lot of fire road. Then there's Elizabeth Furnace down by Front Royal, VA, and Michaux up around Gettysburg, PA -- both about an hour away.

Are you wrenching yet in the area?

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WV Hippy
    Yeah, as Lowdown said that's really about it within a short drive as far as "real" mountain riding is concerned. I'll probably hit up Gambrill or Greenbrier tomorrow or at least sometime this weekend. Shaffer Farms isn't toooo terribly far down the road in the Gaithersburg/Germantown area although I have yet to go there. Oh, and I think Whitetail Ski resort opens up their trails for biking during the warmer months, but I haven't looked into that too much either. That place isn't too far up the road just over the boarder in PA.

Mar 2005
    Not wrenching yet, still trying to get the house unpacked. I moved from Winchester so I'm familiar with the Furnace. Based on what on what I've seen of the local stuff I'm really gonna miss it. I've only been to Gambril once and it's not to bad, but from what I hear it get's pretty crowded. I like technical trails that I can spend hours in.

For all you local guys looking for a wrench, I'm UBI certified in mechanics, as well as wheel building, and suspension work. I hope to be up and running soon. I'll be doing service only out of the garage for a little while, but I hope to have a retail location if it looks like there's the buisiness to support it.