Bike shop in MD/DC area??- Mtbr.com

Oct 2008

Bike shop in MD/DC area??

Greetings,
    I am currently stationed overseas, however I will be attending a school in Gaithersburg, MD for about 2 weeks in the January timeframe. Was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction for a good bike shop with plenty of products. Particularly looking for a shop that might carry Mavic wheels or I9 hubs, etc.... Let me know! Thanks in advance!

Woody

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Revolution Cycles in Rockville carries Mavic wheels.
    http://revolutioncycles.com/itemlist.cfm?category=93
    2009 Trek 6700D

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Sorry, but Revolution Cycles is a rip off. I'd try Germantown Cycles or All American Cyles I get most of my special order stuff from them. All American is pretty honest about their prices, I can go through their wholesale catalog and they'll usually charge double the wholesale price (which is reasonable) and I can pick it up in a week. The guy at revolution tried to charge me 3 times wholesale thinking I didn't know any better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    LBS you don't pay shippiing.
    i ordered some bontrager tubeless rim strips from them earleir this week, and they tried to charge me shipping. i flat out said i wasn't going to pay it. the guy said "he would let it slide this time". today i went in to pick up the rim strips, and i needed a new disc rotor. they wanted to charge me $50. i went down to REI, and i got it for $30

i will NEVER shop at revolution again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    Sorry, but Revolution Cycles is a rip off. I'd try Germantown Cycles or All American Cyles I get most of my special order stuff from them. All American is pretty honest about their prices, I can go through their wholesale catalog and they'll usually charge double the wholesale price (which is reasonable) and I can pick it up in a week. The guy at revolution tried to charge me 3 times wholesale thinking I didn't know any better.

Thats BS, I have never had any issues with Revolution. They are always helpful and they charge reasonable prices. I call complete BS that they tried to charge 3 times wholesale. I have been in there many times and never been charged any outrageous prices, plus their service is second to none!!

They are a pretty small mom and pop opperation so cant charge super low prices like a performance or online shop can but thats to be expected since they most likely pay more for the stuff.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Duff Man
    Thats BS, I have never had any issues with Revolution. They are always helpful and they charge reasonable prices. I call complete BS that they tried to charge 3 times wholesale. I have been in there many times and never been charged any outrageous prices, plus their service is second to none!!

They are a pretty small mom and pop opperation so cant charge super low prices like a performance or online shop can but thats to be expected since they most likely pay more for the stuff.
    Why is my experience ********? I pointed out two other shops that were not performance bikes that gave me good service. Do you have friends at revolution cycles? I've been around a while, revolution caters to the casual biker and yes they're a small outfit so I got the feeling the guys I talked to thought I was clueless. I asked for tires I could use at Gambrill, the guy came out with wire bead semi slicks.

Then there was the time I needed a classic fork rebuilt for a 1997 trek I was restoring for a friend. The shop guy said it would be cheaper to buy a new one and tried to sell me a RS Dart for $200. I managed to finally get the fork fixed somewhere else for $35

offroader
    Dec 2008
    And yes the guy quoted me 3x QBP price for a special order part for which I knew the wholesale and Internet prices. Every other shop I've been I let me look at the QBP catalogue and charge double the wholesale price. Internet store usually list their stuff at double wholesale then mark them down. LBS you don't pay shippiing.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Got my brakes fixed today thanks to some help from the guys at Germantown Cycles. I went in thinking I needed a bleed. (Checked other places including Performance bike and they had the cheapest rate for a complete front and rear bleed)
    When I went in I was told my pads were contaminated with brake fluid. I got some advice from the forums here to fix the problem, but I managed to break the mounting springs on the back of one of the pads *Doh!. So I picked up a set of pads from Germantown Cycles again because they were the only store in the area that had them in stock, and were cheaper than ordering online..

Members who have read this thread: 0