bike rental/trail reccomendations around Baltimore?- Mtbr.com
    ESE
    viewer discretion advised
    Dec 2005

bike rental/trail reccomendations around Baltimore?

I'm spending another 3 day weekend on the East Coast from CA for work. I've done the NYC/Philly/DC tourist stuff many times. I brought my gear this trip for a few rides. Can anyone recommend a shop to rent a bike from or a trail to try (I'm staying in Edgewood,MD).

I was thinking of Patapsco since its close and Baltimore should have more shops that rent bikes. I'd rather not drive too far, since I have to drive 1+ hours each way from where I live in CA (but the trails are worth it) - just hoping for something close.

Thanks for any advice.

I am the owl
    Try calling Avalon Cycles, they are right next to Patapsco and good guys.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

ESE
    Dec 2005
    Thanks, I'll give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Try calling Avalon Cycles, they are right next to Patapsco and good guys.

mtbr member
    I believe light street rents cannondale hardtails, only place around I know of that rents rather than demo or rents but says it's not a rental or whatever...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eemerson
    I'm spending another 3 day weekend on the East Coast from CA for work. I've done the NYC/Philly/DC tourist stuff many times. I brought my gear this trip for a few rides. Can anyone recommend a shop to rent a bike from or a trail to try (I'm staying in Edgewood,MD).

I was thinking of Patapsco since its close and Baltimore should have more shops that rent bikes. I'd rather not drive too far, since I have to drive 1+ hours each way from where I live in CA (but the trails are worth it) - just hoping for something close.

Thanks for any advice.
    You're 50-60 minutes from 30 miles of sweet singletrack at Middle Run/White Clay Creek State Park in Delaware and 45 minutes from Bike Line in Newark where you can rent a bike (and it's right on the way).

http://bikeline.com/page.cfm?pageID=80

These times are accurate (I work at Edgewood and live 0.25 miles from Middle Run). It will take you less time to get from Edgewood to Newark than it will to get from Edgewood to Patapsco (usually) due to traffic around Baltimore.

Shoot me an e-mail if you need more specific info.

Tim S

ESE
    Dec 2005

Thanks for the info everyone

I had a good ride today at White Clay/Middle Run on a Fisher 29er from Bike Line. Would have been better if I knew the trails or had someone with me who knew them. I was getting pretty lost at one point, even with the map. I may try Patapsco tomorrow. FYI, Avalon Cycles doesn't rent, but Race Pace does (I'll probably try them, much better phone service than Light Street).

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by eemerson
    FYI, Avalon Cycles doesn't rent, but Race Pace does (I'll probably try them, much better phone service than Light Street).
    Hey eemerson, glad you had a good ride. Glad I read this post. I'll be in Baltimore the
    middle of next month for a convention, however I will do my best to sneak away one of
    the 4 days I'll be there and get in a ride. I'll likely do Patapsco since I may be able to
    get a friend from around DC, who knows those trails, to meet me there and show me
    around.

Thanks for putting this information out there.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

ESE
    Dec 2005
    Two things to mention:

If you go with Race Pace they are only open 12-5 on Sundays, so plan accordingly.

If your guide for Patapsco may not work out, start planning now - information seems pretty limited on the Internet. There are multiple entry points to the park that range from down by BWI up to Ellicott City. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoornut
    Hey eemerson, glad you had a good ride. Glad I read this post. I'll be in Baltimore the
    middle of next month for a convention, however I will do my best to sneak away one of
    the 4 days I'll be there and get in a ride. I'll likely do Patapsco since I may be able to
    get a friend from around DC, who knows those trails, to meet me there and show me
    around.

Thanks for putting this information out there.

ODN

Members who have read this thread: 0