Best WV trails near Roanoke VA.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Best WV trails near Roanoke VA.

Since the forest fires have done a number on my beloved Carvins Cove (trails are closed), I need new trails to ride. Would our WV brothers have insight into the nearest cool trails to Roanoke? I'm trying not to drive too far, as I have limited riding time. Thanks to all that can help!

Hangumhigh
    Mean Gene Rides Again!

mtbr member
    Go ride here:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/easternd...ty_creek.shtml

about 40min from Roanoke, just outside Blacksburg

Jul 2007
    +1 to Pandapas Pond. Definitely some fun trials.

I keep hearing really good things about Douthat as well but I haven't had a chance to get up there and ride yet.

Any word on when Carvins Cove will reopen? That was my favorite place to ride around here.

I like Monkeys
    Come on over to Candler's mountain in Lynchburg as well. Lots of old and new trails, should keep you busy for an afternoon at the least. From moderate to very challenging rocky climbs and descents.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

www.justthebonnet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by SWVA-Rider
    +1 to Pandapas Pond. Definitely some fun trials.

I keep hearing really good things about Douthat as well but I haven't had a chance to get up there and ride yet.

Any word on when Carvins Cove will reopen? That was my favorite place to ride around here.
    You owe it to yourself to make the trip to Douthat, fast smooth trails & lots of them!
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    You owe it to yourself to make the trip to Douthat, fast smooth trails & lots of them!
    Yeah, I'm waiting for a nice weekend when friends are available for a group ride up there. Any good route recommendations?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah, I'm waiting for a nice weekend when friends are available for a group ride up there. Any good route recommendations?
    https://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/...va_douthat.gif

brushy hollow is a awesome downhill. try and check out tuscarora overlook for a killer view and then down stony run

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

This sounds more complicated than it is, but this is my favorite route on the Middle Mountain side: Park at Park Headquarters or across the street. Beards Gap Hollow ->Locust Gap->up Stoney Run (ouch) ->Tuscarora Trail (and Overlook - a must see) -> Middle Mountain->Salt Stump ->Pine Tree -> Beards Gap Hollow

My favorite route on Beards Mountain side is:

Ross Camp or Guest Lodge road (steep trail or can take the road) ->Mountain Side -> Brushy Hollow.

Lots and lots of cool stuff on the national forest surrounding the park once you have burnt all those trails up. Middle Mountain is great out both ends. Fore Mountain is awesome but one end is still plugged with blowdowns.

Matt I see you are testing that new bike out in the right places.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I rode at Pandapas this past weekend and enjoyed it. Now I think I'll try CraigCreek Rider's suggested route at Douthat. Once again, Thanks.

Hangumhigh
    Mean Gene Rides Again!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891
    https://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/...va_douthat.gif

brushy hollow is a awesome downhill. try and check out tuscarora overlook for a killer view and then down stony run
    Yeah, what he said. Good link.

My favorite route is to make two big loops. Park somewhere along the road going through the park (such as at the main office), go to the north end of the park (via Wilson's Creek or the road) and up Ross Camp Hollow and Mountain Side trail to the very north end of Mountain Top Trail (north-most end in the park. that is). South along Mountain Top until it runs into (or turns into) Brushy Hollow Trail which, as mentioned, is an awesome long downhill.

For the second loop go back towards the north end of the park (either by the road or via some of the trails that go above the lake if I'm feeling particularly strong and/or masochistic that day) and pick up Salt Stump and climb that up to Middle Mountain Trail. This is a pretty long climb. I follow Middle Mountain south. You can either follow it to Stoney Run, or take the indicated detour to the Tuscarora Overlook. Actually, you MUST go to the Tuscarora Overlook, it is just amazing. There is an old one-room shelter with a porch and the most amazing view. It would be a crime to visit Douthat and not go there. Finish the day with a 4 mile downhill on Stoney Run. If you still want more you can get on Locust Gap trail towards the bottom of Stoney Run and take it over to Beards Gap Hollow or Blue Suck Falls Trail and finish your descent on one of those.

The ride I described is, I believe, in the neighborhood of 20 miles, but around 3,500' of climbing (and descending, woo-hoo!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider

Matt I see you are testing that new bike out in the right places.
    well, i havent taken the new rig up there yet. went back in the summer with kapusta on my kikapu

when the cove opens back up i think we should attempt to have a MTBR meet/greet and shred some singletrack.

i know jeff will be down

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891
    well, i havent taken the new rig up there yet. went back in the summer with kapusta on my kikapu

when the cove opens back up i think we should attempt to have a MTBR meet/greet and shred some singletrack.

i know jeff will be down

yeah, I'm down

mtbr member
    Count me in too.
    Mean Gene Rides Again!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    If you all can tolerate an old and somewhat slow guy, then count me in too.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider
    If you all can tolerate an old and somewhat slow guy, then count me in too.
    Sure, if you can tolerate a middle-aged and somewhat slow guy.

I like Monkeys
    I'm in as well. I saw some pictures on the Roanoke news lately. It may be a while before they are reopened. There are other great places for an MTBR meet&greet. We had a great ride at Sherando last spring.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

Members who have read this thread: 0