Best Place to Live in DC and bike?- Mtbr.com
    Bike to have fun.

Best Place to Live in DC and bike?

So I'm a college student who is almost through college.
    I live in Ashburn Virginia (Dulles Airport Area), when I am home with my parents on breaks and what not
    When I am at school, I am in wonderful Richmond Virginia.

In Richmond I am spoiled with tons of trails allover the James River within riding distance from where I live downtown.
    Here in Nova I luckily have a car that parents have lent out to me during the breaks and I can drive to all the spots.

My dilemma is that I love DC, but I love being able to bike to the trails, and bike/walk to the bars and clubs.

After I graduate, where can I live that gives me both?
    Ideally live in Washington DC and be able to bike to some sweet trails or at least car-free.
    (Goose Creek, Mike Faraday, and Wakefield are my spots I drive to).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you plan on living in the city, there really isn't anywhere you can ride to ecept Fort Dupont Park

http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5553

Everywhere else requires driving. I seem to remember hearing about one or two parks in VA close to metro, but you can't always take your bike on metro and they really don't like dirty bikes on the trains or in the stations.

Bike to have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny301
    If you plan on living in the city, there really isn't anywhere you can ride to ecept Fort Dupont Park

http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5553

Everywhere else requires driving. I seem to remember hearing about one or two parks in VA close to metro, but you can't always take your bike on metro and they really don't like dirty bikes on the trains or in the stations.
    Wakefield is metro possibility. Little bit of a bike, but I did bike 6 miles just to get to a trail from a friends place. Not bad, except when your riding singlespeed 36x20. I've never known about fort dupont, I gotta check that out.

Thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

For road biking only

If I was going to live inside DC, I would live near Rock Creek Park. Easy access to Georgetown, Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan. Most of Rock Creek is closed on weekends, and you have the whole road to use for riding (although there is no mtbiking). In a very peaceful setting.

Mtbiking....you are screwed. Sorry.

Bike to have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by micky
    If I was going to live inside DC, I would live near Rock Creek Park. Easy access to Georgetown, Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan. Most of Rock Creek is closed on weekends, and you have the whole road to use for riding (although there is no mtbiking). In a very peaceful setting.

Mtbiking....you are screwed. Sorry.
    I mostly figured that. Damn, so I'm gonna have to buy a car...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by grantheppes
    I mostly figured that. Damn, so I'm gonna have to buy a car...

You could always do zipcar and get a pickup truck for the day

http://www.zipcar.com/dc/find-cars

Bike to have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny301
    You could always do zipcar and get a pickup truck for the day

http://www.zipcar.com/dc/find-cars
    Not if I want to ride at least once every weekend. a few times during the week. But good point.

I am the owl
    Personally I'd live close to the trails and bike or find other means to public transportation (metro, bus MARC) to get into the city.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Bike to have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Personally I'd live close to the trails and bike or find other means to public transportation (metro, bus MARC) to get into the city.
    Def a good point, but I gotta be in city limits, just love city life too much. I have just come back to reality and understand that I am spoiled in Richmond with trailheads less than a mile away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by grantheppes
    Def a good point, but I gotta be in city limits, just love city life too much. I have just come back to reality and understand that I am spoiled in Richmond with trailheads less than a mile away.
    Give NW DC near the park a look, something like Chevy Chase. There is a lot of road riding on beach drive, including a super fast training ride at 6:00 PM on Tues and Thurs during the warm months. Also, there is a 7:00 AM and a 10:00 AM training ride every Sat that starts from beach drive, as well as a 8:30 AM and 10:00 AM training ride every Sun that starts from beach drive.

As far a mountain, NW DC will put you within about 1 hour from Shaeffer Farms, and maybe 1:20 from Gambrill/Watershed.

I think it's a good compromise.

featherweight clydesdale
    Everyone I know in DC/NOVA is there for the job. They'd bail at the first opportunity to make decent money somewhere else. Every city has bars. Why not dial the job in first, see what's available, then pick your city/job.

Sounds like you'd have fun if you stayed in Richmond?

Bike to have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly
    Sounds like you'd have fun if you stayed in Richmond?
    Yeah, Richmond is awesome. If anyone is looking to move to a new place, its great. Houses near downtown are all early 1900's victorian sorta style, pretty cool. And of course, trails trails trails, and I can think of at least 5 bike shops just downtown that are a quick zip to.

Only thing is, for me, Richmond is my "college town" and I'm looking for a bigger city.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would like to suggest the Ballston\Clarendon corridor of Arlington. Your only minutes from DC yet in my opinion has a much better quality of living. There are several metro stops and the Custis Trial is right there for easy biking into Georgetown, Rosslyn and downtown DC. From my condo in Ballston I could bike to my old office near Kennedy Center in less than 25 minutes. You would still have to drive to off road trails, but it is a great place to live, especially just out of college.

Bike to have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTV8
    I would like to suggest the Ballston\Clarendon corridor of Arlington. Your only minutes from DC yet in my opinion has a much better quality of living. There are several metro stops and the Custis Trial is right there for easy biking into Georgetown, Rosslyn and downtown DC. From my condo in Ballston I could bike to my old office near Kennedy Center in less than 25 minutes. You would still have to drive to off road trails, but it is a great place to live, especially just out of college.
    It is a great area, I went to High School in Arlington (O'Connell) so I know the area.

Members who have read this thread: 0