Beginner's Trail b/t Raleigh, NC & Bryce Bike Park?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Beginner's Trail b/t Raleigh, NC & Bryce Bike Park?

I am planning a surprise bike trip for my wife's upcoming birthday. The plan is to ride trail 1 day, then hit up Bryce Bike Park for a 2nd day.

She is a beginner. I am hoping to get some input for a good trail to ride for the 1st day (Probably 10 miles). She has ridden some of Dupont in NC, FATS in SC... so I am looking for something similiar.

I have attached a map of our driving route to Bryce. I am hoping to detour less than 1 hr from the route.

Does anybody have any trail recommendations?
    Anything near Charlottesville?

Thanks for your time
    ~Kirby

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I can't speak for Charlottesville, but Harrisonburg is a pretty good destination for any biker, beginners included. There are many trails within Rockingham County within 10-15 minutes of town. Hillandale Park has a great trail system within city limits that is VERY accommodating for beginners.

If you're interested, Harrisonburg has also been named Virginia's first "Culinary District"...or something along those lines. Point being, there are many good watering holes and places to find good chow here as well. Shenandoah Bicycle Company is downtown as well....within walking distance to many good places to dine.

Check out SBC's website for more information on local trails.

Shenandoah Bicycle Company Harrisonburg Virginia Shenandoah Valley Rockingham County Trek Surly Ibis Turner Salsa Bontrager

Maybe I'll see you at Bryce...I'll be one of the guys in a red shirt with the white cross.

it's....
    Walnut Creek park is right on your route too, just south of C-ville off 29.
    And Candler MT trails in Lynchburg.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tomson75 View Post
    Harrisonburg is a pretty good
    Sounds promising. Any recommended tent camping spots, with facilities?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirby258 View Post
    Sounds promising. Any recommended tent camping spots, with facilities?
    Natural Chimneys is pretty awesome. Located about 30 minutes outside of Harrisonburg, and coincidentally located very near some awesome trails. Sherando Lake is located about halfway between Charlottesville and Harrisonburg about 45 minutes away. Also very good. The local KOA's are just OK....but we have National Parks surrounding the valley as well....tent camping without the accoutrements.

trailmaster
    Dec 2005
    Not sure if you have already made your trip or not. But if you take the Hwy 15 North route thru Farmville you can take her out on the High Bridge Trail and get in a lap or two on the MTB trails. The rails trail to the Bridge and some really nice single track make for good ride.

Good road and nice drive from Oxford NC to Farmville Va. Going 15 also lines you up to hit up Lynchburg, Charlottesville or the I 81 Corridor rides like Staunton and Harrisonburg. Though many of those are not easy to access or ride for an outing with the wife with the exception of Reddy Creek near Charlottesville and Peak's View in Lynchburg. It is actually worth it to take some time and get in multiple ride following you route North. Even if that means extending your trip a couple days.

Enjoy your time in Va.

As a volunteer for the State Parks I built the trails and you may find some similarity to the old Tar River trails North of Raleigh. (Minus the Free Ride)