Attention Danville, Lynchburg, & surrounding area riders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Attention Danville, Lynchburg, & surrounding area riders

I live in Gretna which is a small town right in the middle of Danville and Lynchburg. Every year in October our town has an "Old Timer's Jubilee" which is basically just a fall festival with some arts & crafts, vendors set up, music, baby contest, and other stuff for kids and such. Last week I rode my bike at the school's cross country running trail. So I came up with the idea to present it to the committee of the Jubilee to have a race or ride at the trail. The head person liked the idea so I was wanting to see if there was any interest from people here. The trail is nothing difficult at all; it's mainly just riding through a nicely cut field. Which is why I thought it would make for a good ride for kids to come out and ride with or without family members. So keep in mind that if it is a race it will not be some competitive XC race. I just didn't want someone coming out and expecting some technical type trail or something. I suggested have a men's category, women's category, and then just a ride for kids and people who just want to take their time and go for a ride. I won't get fancy by offering different classes since basically the trail is so easy. All skill levels will race against each other.

Anyone interested in something like this?

Escape Artist
    Sep 2012
    This sounds like a good idea. I'd be in for a ride, not so much for a "race". Set it up right and my wife and kids would join me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the reply JR11. Where are you from? What I was hoping to do if I got enough interest is to start with a men's race, then after about 10 to 15 minutes we'd start the women's race, and then after all had completed, we'd just do a "free-for-all" ride at your own pace type of ride; ride the trail as many times around as you wanted for the people who didn't want to race or just ride with the family or the people who raced could ride again with their kids or family. I have some pictures of the trail; if you'd like I can send them to you. It shouldn't be hard for anyone who can pedal and has good balance. The hardest thing would be some of the hills for some kids depending on their strength or pedaling ability. For wives who just like to ride but are afraid of "woods-y" trails this would be perfect.

The Jubilee in town might be something you'd want to check out while there too. They will have facepainting for kids as well as other stuff. If you're a car guy they will have old cars there too.

Escape Artist
    Sep 2012
    I'm from Waynesboro. I like your idea regarding different start times for the event, and the free-for-all ride would be great. Yes; send some pics of the trail...would be neat to see them. My kids ride single speed bmx bikes, but they are young and strong and enjoy trail riding. My wife is a beginner, but she's willing to hit the easy trails. Again, this sounds like a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Got your message - yes I could see people going for a low key kind of event. Post it up and see what happens. If you're on Facebook, hunt for RIMBA group and post there as well. Also head over the GLOC website and/or Facebook pages for Blackwater Bike Shop and Bikes Unlimited. The more you put it out there, the more likely people will come. =) Good luck!
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

Members who have read this thread: 0