Atten: West Virgina Riders. Need info please.- Mtbr.com

Jan 2006

Atten: West Virgina Riders. Need info please.

Hey I live in NC at the moment in Mt. Airy in an area called the Foothills, but in the next year I will be moving to the Charleston area,(St. Albens, Hurricane, Nitro) just around Charleston, just wanted to know about the trails in Charleston. I have been reading the reviews, but would really like to hear some more input etc. I ride singletrack now w/ roots and mild some rocks etc. I ride a 29'er hardtail bike. I like to ride XC but like the downhills as well, just nothing that would require a lot of travel on the bike etc. Just wondering if you guys could give me some input on the trails and maybe some pics etc., what to expect and how the terrain is(wet a lot, very tech, etc. etc.)

Also are there any good bike shops in that area. I work in a bike shop now and would like to get aquainted w/ a good shop there and possibly, maybe, work there in the future etc. Thanks a ton, Justin

Because I am !
    I'm not familiar at all with Kanawha State Forest, however it gets good reviews. It is just out of Charleston. There are so many trails a couple hours from there toward the east. Pocahontas County is the best. I live about 65 miles north of Charleston around Parkersburg and have a great place to ride locally at Mountwood Park. Charles Fork Lake near Spencer is a nice place if you ride there just after the race in May. There are a couple other places closer to Charleston, just check out the link below. I make numerous trips over to either the Davis / Canaan Valley area or Pocahontas County every year. Check out the photos, trail descriptors and trail maps on www.outdoortravels.com in the Biking section. They have some photos of Kanawha State Forest trails also, but check out Tea Creek trail, Gauley Mountain trail, Kennison Mountain trail and many more. Those I can help you with. My son and I are planning on hitting the trails at Kanawha State Forest this sping. Also check out http://singletrack.wirefire.com/default.htm
    he has some good photos of trails.

As for bike shops. There are a few in the Charleston area. I'm not that familiar with them but I'll post again to let you know the names of the ones that sponsor several events throughout the year. You'll like mountain biking in WV.

the unvarnished nonsense

just search for KANAWHAT?

OK, I don't know how to spell it for sure, but search "KSF" or "Kanawha" (I think) on this forum and you should be able to find the many threads with pics of KSF singletrack posted by LowCel and crashedandburned. Hecklerboy's website (the wirefire link above) has some pics and vids of the riding here in Pocahontas County, and the new and improved site looks great!

PS- Low, it was great to see you again, keep training hard, but take it easy on me on the trails, eh?
    Last edited by davis; 01-16-2006 at 06:17 AM.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Alright, let's ride!
    In my opinion one of the best places to ride anywhere is Kanawha State Forest. I just love riding there. Most of the riding is up and down, not too much flat riding at all. The downhills are pretty technical but can be ridden on a hardtail. You just have to pick your lines a little more carefully. I ride them regularly on both a hardtail and a full suspension. On a 29'er you will be fine.

About five miles from Charleston is Little Creek Park in South Charleston. It is more of a true "xc" course. It is a rolling course with great flow to it. About an hour away west is Barboursville, the trails there are supposed to be pretty nice but I've never taken time to ride them. An hour away north is Spencer. That is also more of a true "xc" style course. It is very fun though and fast. However as outdoornut mentioned there are only certain times of the year the course is really ridable. It isn't maintained much after the race.

Then you have Mountwood which is just about 90 minutes away and definately worth the drive. It is also more of a cross country type area with a few decent climbs with some fun, fast descents. Nothing extremely technical. I have been told that once you get away from the race course that there are some decent downhills, I've just never looked for them.

If you want to go a little further then their is always Pocahontas county. The riding there is amazing.

Also, if you are into racing here is the WVMBA (West Virginia Mountain Bike Association) schedule for 2006.

Here's the line up of WV Mountain Bike Association Point Series Races for 2006 - while I may not have the exact names of the races, the dates & locations are solid... you'll be able to get race details, contact, etc. on line at www.wvmba.com or www.iplayoutside.com in a week or so....

Anyway, this is a 13 race series - you have to do 5 races to qualify, and final ranking will be based upon the rider's best 6 scores plus the score from the final, championship race.

April 23 - Challenge at Mountwood, Mountwwod Park, Waverly WV
    April 30 - Big Bear, Hazelton, WV (this is the same venue as Granny Gear's 24 Hours at Big Bear June 11)
    May 7 - Henry Clay 40K,Cooper's Rock Sate Park, WV
    May 14 - Tour of Tomilson, Tomilson State Park, WV
    May 21 - Tour de Lake, Charles Fork Park, Spenser, WV
    May 28 - Race the Trace, Little Creek Park, South Charleston, WV
    June 17 & 18 - Appalachian Classic, Grantsville, WV
    July 30 - Little Beaver State Park, Beaver, WV
    Aug 6 - Lake Hope, near Athens, OH
    Aug 27 - New River Bike Fest, Ace Adventure Center, Oak Hill, WV
    Sept 10 - Free Wheeling, Winterplace Resort, Flattop WV
    Sept 24 - Black Bear, Kanawha State Forest, Charleston WV
    Oct 1 - Dirt Derby, Barboursville Park, Barboursville, WV

There are a couple of other WVMBA sanctioned rides as well:
    June 4 - Revenge of the Rattlesnake, Davis, WV
    Aug 12 - Wild 100 BackCountry, Slatyfork, WV
    Sept 3 - Shenandoah Mtn 100, VA?
    Sept 16 - Cheat Mtn 100K - Cheat Mtn, WV
    Oct 7 - Tour de Lilly, Davis, WV (more of a ride than a race)

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    PS- Low, it was great to see you again, keep training hard, but take it easy on me on the trails, eh?
    What???? I don't know what you are talking about. The only reason I'm doing all of this training is so that I can keep up with you.

Oh, and check this out. They did an article on Pez Cycling about the training camp in Marlinton. They even got a picture of me while I was on the computrainer.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3707

www.justthebonnet.com
    Hey davis check your pm.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

Not sure what to type?
    You definetly won't be disappointed with the riding here in WV. We have great trails from Coopers Rock in Morgantown to Slatyfork in Pocahontas County. The Kanawha State Forest is right in your area and offers some awesome riding. Plus if you want some freeriding you can check out Snowshoe Resort. They've been working hard on building a Whistler style park for the east coast.
    Be sure to make plans to join us at the Slatyfork Shuffle this year.
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    Hey davis check your pm.
    Got it...talk at ya soon.

the unvarnished nonsense

Somebody call Capt_Phun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LowCel

Oh, and check this out. They did an article on Pez Cycling about the training camp in Marlinton. They even got a picture of me while I was on the computrainer.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3707

I think LowCel swiped his "Spongebob" jersey at the last Shuffle!

Dec 2004

About Barbourville Park & Beech Fork State Park Nearby...

I rode Barboursville Park back in August. It was pretty nice but I wasn't truely impressed by it. It's a fun ride but wouldn't go out of my way for it. It begins with a small climb from the parking area, acsends to a powerline/ old ATV type trail, then drops into some single track on a not-to-technical but sketchy double track where you then cross a railroad. From there you ride a railroad grade for a few miles with some neat jumps and banking corners. You can then come out near the lake or climb an old ATV trail up a nearby ridge to finish with a brief downhill through a grass field.

Also, rode Beech Fork in August. It has an amazing trail system. Very fun. BUT, is now in need of some major trail maintenance. Expect to get extremely wet and covered in mud anytime of the year, drought or no drought. Of course, I guess we are supposed to get muddy, mountain bikers...duh?!

...with that said, like Lowcel says, Kanawha State Forest is one of the best places to ride. Kind of a little gem not many outsiders know about when it comes to actually riding there. Though many have heard of it!

Those of the Slatyfork Shuffle: After two years of planning to go and missing, I'm finally going to get to go this year!

Alright, let's ride!
    I think LowCel swiped his "Spongebob" jersey at the last Shuffle!
    Christmas gift from my brother-in-law this year.

Jan 2006
    Thanks guys for the info, it is truly helpful. I will look into those places. I am not a true XC rider, but I am not a free rider either, I fall right in the middle, so it sounds like the riding in the area will be fun. Thanks again for replying. J

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    KSF!,KSF!,KSF!,KSF!,KSF!,KSF!,KSF!......

You WON'T be disappointed. Tea Creek, Coopers, New River are all also great places to ride. Lowcel, I'm sure, wouldn't mind showing you around when you move to the area. Heck, let me know when I'll try to make it to town for that ride.

Here's a link to one of our rides. Just make sure you fuel up at Tutor's Biscuit World!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...hlight=kanawha

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...hlight=kanawha (the only pics on the page)

Davis: A campout at Douthat sometime this yr? Would LOVE to explore there. Got just a taste of the place last summer!!!

Dec 2004

Unrelated to this board but...

There's going to be a Pisgah Gathering in March/ April. Here's the link to the posting:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=157124

www.justthebonnet.com
    Hey Lowcel, what you doin? Stealing my jersey?! I know, everyone wants to be like the Captain. Only I can pull off the good looks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:

www.justthebonnet.com
    Got it...talk at ya soon.
    Cool, give me a call and we can get all "good"
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Lowcel, what you doin? Stealing my jersey?! I know, everyone wants to be like the Captain. Only I can pull off the good looks.

Dude, the ONLY time I look like that is on the throne!

the unvarnished nonsense

Have you forgotten?

Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    Dude, the ONLY time I look like that is on the throne!
    You sir, are prohibited from discussing or otherwise even mentioning anything that could be closely construed to "bathroom talk" after that story you told about your ex-wife when we took a break on Bear Pen Trail. (For those of you who were there and had to hear the story, I apologize for bringing it to your mind once again.)

the unvarnished nonsense
    Nice truck.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by Futurepath
    Those of the Slatyfork Shuffle: After two years of planning to go and missing, I'm finally going to get to go this year!
    Good deal. Hopefully the slackers "responsible" (and I use the term loosely) for the Shuffle will put out an announcement with this year's dates soon. But I'm guessing they'll probably put it off until February.

the unvarnished nonsense

Davis: A campout at Douthat sometime this yr? Would LOVE to explore there. Got just a taste of the place last summer!!!
    It's already being planned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You sir, are prohibited from discussing or otherwise even mentioning anything that could be closely construed to "bathroom talk" after that story you told about your ex-wife when we took a break on Bear Pen Trail. (For those of you who were there and had to hear the story, I apologize for bringing it to your mind once again.)

Oh darn!, I was REALLY hoping to tell ya all about her OTHER bathroom fetishes.

Remind me to tell you all how bad the apt was when I had to go in and clean it up AFTER she had moved out (we seperated). You'll WISH for a story as mild as the one I told you guys! (bwahahahahha.....) *evil laugh*

Alright, let's ride!
    What can I say, I just want to be more like the constipated looking guy in the picture.

Alright, let's ride!
    Oh darn!, I was REALLY hoping to tell ya all about her OTHER bathroom fetishes.

Remind me to tell you all how bad the apt was when I had to go in and clean it up AFTER she had moved out (we seperated). You'll WISH for a story as mild as the one I told you guys! (bwahahahahha.....) *evil laugh*

If you ever even think about telling another story like that while in the same zip code as me I strongly suggest that you lose my phone number, e-mail, physical address, and any other contact information you may have. I have no desire to EVER hear another story like that. I will never be able to get that mental image (and smell) out of my head.

the unvarnished nonsense

Remind me to tell you all how bad the apt was when I had to go in and clean it up AFTER she had moved out (we seperated).
    Yeah, we're all very anxious to hear that one.

Hmmm, do I see a spot opening up on the "People to Invite to the Douthat Gathering" list?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    holy cow! Well, since it seems that I'll be hung, drawn and quartered , I'll refrain from telling any stories about the ex-wife!

Alright, let's ride!
    holy cow! Well, since it seems that I'll be hung, drawn and quartered , I'll refrain from telling any stories about the ex-wife!
    Best news I've heard all week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Best news I've heard all week.

Of course, ex-girlfriends are a whole different *ahem* story.

Alright, let's ride!
    I'm still amazed you were actually able to get someone to marry you!

Dec 2004

Hmm

Since I'll get to make it this year...you'll have to retell those stories!!! hahaha

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Futurepath
    Since I'll get to make it this year...you'll have to retell those stories!!! hahaha
    Better be careful saying things like that. I would hate for you to accidentally schedule the wrong dates.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Better be careful saying things like that. I would hate for you to accidentally schedule the wrong dates.
    Now, now, Low, that's not very neighborly is it? Besides, if GR Rider can't make it down from Michigan, we'll need someone to share a campsite with you-know-who! And hey, he's asking to hear 'em....

I better make sure there's gonna be enough of that corn juice to ease all of the verbal trauma...

Not sure what to type?
    Ahh, corn juice.
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

Dec 2004

Oh Yeah...CrashedandBurned...

Yep, I'll have to tell the story of the super buttery cornhole, and the one about the prisoner with oily anal discharge.

mtbr member

More trail info

Hey JC2niner, just saw your inquiry and wanted to add a couple cents. I have ridden XC, DH, BMX all over my beloved West Virginia. I'm a free rider if I had to label myself, but whatever. I live in Morgantown, 3 hours or so out of Charleston. You will find it worth the drive to visit our trails (Baker's Ridge is a little known hot spot). I've lived all over the country and have never seen a riding scene that even compares to Morgantown's. That said. I've ridden much in WV. The guy above from Parkersburg mentioned Mountwood SP which is very cool (I have helped build trails there - part of the racecourse), but basically the only excellent trails around P-burg. Coopers Rock is Beautiful and has miles of trails, but (this may anger some-sorry) the riding is over-rated. This is my bottom line, forget everything else: Charles Fork Lake, Spencer, WV IS THE BEST XC IN THE STATE!!! There is a trail there called Trevors Challenge - it's marked by a sign. Come into it from the dam side and get ready! I promise you will love it! If you're ever coming up to Mo-town for a weekend ride get in touch and I can help you out with directions or contacts. Enjoy, hope it helped.

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheeliedon
    Charles Fork Lake, Spencer, WV IS THE BEST XC IN THE STATE!!! There is a trail there called Trevors Challenge - it's marked by a sign. Come into it from the dam side and get ready! I promise you will love it!
    Have you ridden there lately? They do absolutely no trail maintenance except right before the race now. A bunch of my friends have gone there over the past six months and hated it. Said it was overgrown and there was nothing but briars and spider webs. I agree that when it is in good condition it is a great place to ride. However a few weeks after the race until a few weeks before the race it isn't worth riding.

Jan 2006
    That sounds like goodtimes. I will probably try to make it to those trails this year. I want to hit up KSF being that it will be close to my relocation(if it happens.), but I am only 3 hrs away from it now so I could make it a day easy. My wife's family is from Buckhannon, and California Pennsylvania(outskirts of Pitt.) and that is only 45-50 mins from Morgantown, and I am a huge WVU football fan. Even though I am from NC. hahaha. I also like the Steelers(way to go last night). I would fit in fine there hahaha. Thanks for all the info guys. It is really appreciated!!! JC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheeliedon
    Charles Fork Lake, Spencer, WV IS THE BEST XC IN THE STATE!!!
    You're kidding right? No, really......you've GOT to be kidding me? I've rode there once and it was alright BUT I can think of MUCH better places to ride. Coopers being one of them. New River Gorge is another, but SPENCERS? I like your sense of humor.

mtbr member

maybe "BEST" is too strong a term

After I read your reply I began to reconsider the strength of the word-choice BEST. I have ridden some killer XC in Greenbriar and Pocohantas counties but I couldn't begin to tell you where they were. And in remembering my rides at Charles Fork, well, it was the times as much as the trails - I had good bros to ride with back then and you know who you're riding with can make as much difference as where. I will stand by having said that Trevors Callenge is a rip-roaring good flow yeehaw trail. But yes, I'm sure there are better trails. I'm not too much into XC anymore anyhow. Here in Mo-town we have decent dirt jumps at White Park, several good 15-30 (or more if you wish?) foot drops around town, and the downtown campus has several good urban spots. That's what I ride.

And I haven't ridden at Mountwood since the summer of, gee whiz...03. The trails were in fine shape then. I have always stayed mostly on the east side of the park. I go in by the maintenance building across the road from the res. The trails I built are on that side, like between the northshore-style built trails on top of the hill and the nasty-ass race course hill climb. I mentioned Mountwood to JC2niner just so I wouldn't have to say there ain't sh1t to ride in Parkersburg (no offense - I used to live there). Morgantown's riding scene just blows everything else away.

One other thing JC2niner: North Bend SP Rail Trail is very cool! Many tunnels and re-decked bridges. If you start in Parkersburg and head east the first tunnel you come to (that the trail is routed through) is Eaton tunnel. Almost 3/8 mile long and it curves! As you roll in, the ambient light fades and you just aim at this little dot of light which is the other end of the tunnel which is actually an opening about 20' tall. Many diversions along the way. The Rail Trails up around Motown are also cool, but no tunnels. Deckers Creek RT here in Motown is a real joy. Check 'em out!

Jul 2004
    I swear... if somebody misspells GreenbriEr one more time...

Anyways, as far as shops in Charleston, your best bet is Charleston Bike in Kanawha City (it's across the Avenue from Southern Kitchen, and if you can't find out where that is, you're pathetic). They'll have the most information on the area, esp. since Outdoor Extremes closed (ah, that place used to be my "second-home").

For riding purposes, you'll enjoy the trails at KSF more than Little Creek Park, however, don't let the one area limit your exposure to riding. There are several clandestine trails around Charleston.

Members who have read this thread: 0