CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Anyone riding the Creature at Carvin's Cove?

https://www.facebook.com/xxcva/?hc_r...MELINE&fref=nf

If so, say hello (early). I will be pulling up the rear.

mtbr member
    CCR, looking forward to riding this with you and catching up! Do you know of a link to the actual course map? Also, self-supported or aid stations?
    If you Google "Judy Butter" to reminisce on the good ole days, do NOT click on images...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSlowBusa View Post
    CCR, looking forward to riding this with you and catching up! Do you know of a link to the actual course map? Also, self-supported or aid stations?
    Creature from Carvins Cove XXC XC Mountain Bike RaceRoanoke Parks and Recreation
    Some information in the link above. I think I have the loop pretty well figured out. The only trail I do not know well there is Araminta, I have only been there once.

The written description might be worthwhile to print out, I don't know if maps are going to be available or not. I think the finish on Rattling Run might be brutal about that time of the day.

I look forward to it as well.

Also, it looks like the aid stations are at Timberview and Bennett Springs parking lots.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just decided last minute that I might race the xxc tomorrow. Any idea how wet the trails are after all the rain this week?

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    I saw a FB post this morning that said the trails were in excellent shape. My guess is the uppers are all great, the lowers probably may still be wet (they usually are).

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    I saw a FB post this morning that said the trails were in excellent shape. My guess is the uppers are all great, the lowers may still be wet (they usually are).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks. The trails were in great shape except one small section that was tight and slick. Don't know the name of it. What a great day, and tough.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    Thanks. The trails were in great shape except one small section that was tight and slick. Don't know the name of it. What a great day, and tough.
    The trails were in great shape. I think the tight slick trail was the second section of Enchanted Forest that we did. I was fully expecting to get soaked on the creek crossings but they were low too. The course is physically difficult, it might be a while before I do another one. Hiking the Rattling Run rock gardens after 30 or so miles was hard on this old guy. All in all it was a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    The trails were in great shape. I think the tight slick trail was the second section of Enchanted Forest that we did. I was fully expecting to get soaked on the creek crossings but they were low too. The course is physically difficult, it might be a while before I do another one. Hiking the Rattling Run rock gardens after 30 or so miles was hard on this old guy. All in all it was a lot of fun.
    Rattlin Run was rough. I've ridden it once before, but in the other direction. I walked a lot more of it yesterday than previously. It's truly technical and has consequences for mistakes.