Anyone looking to ride Loch Raven- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm Anyone looking to ride Loch Raven

Hey,
    Just joined this site. I ride Loch Raven Reservoir all the time. Just looking to ride with some people. Anyone up for riding. Maybe a day during the week or next weekend?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd be happy to go riding with you. My usual riding partner went to Basic Training last week, so my last few rides have been solo. When the weather's nice I go for an occasional weekday morning ride for an hour or so. On the weekend I try to go for a 2hr, 10-12mile ride, though I'm looking to up my mileage a bit. I've been riding Seminary for the past 6 months, and am eager to try out the Dulaney/Warren loop. Post back here or send me a PM to arrange something.
    Ryan

Masher
    Me!

But I can only really ride on the weekends during the winter. Post a time on a Saturday or Sunday a few days in advance and I am in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rmccully
    I'd be happy to go riding with you. My usual riding partner went to Basic Training last week, so my last few rides have been solo. When the weather's nice I go for an occasional weekday morning ride for an hour or so. On the weekend I try to go for a 2hr, 10-12mile ride, though I'm looking to up my mileage a bit. I've been riding Seminary for the past 6 months, and am eager to try out the Dulaney/Warren loop. Post back here or send me a PM to arrange something.
    Ryan
    I can ride pretty much any morning this week tuesday wednesday or thursday. i can ride friday. and of course on the weekend. when can u ride this week?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I checked the weather and it looks like Thursday won't be excessively cold. I have to be back at the car no later than 9, but 8:30-8:45 would be a better finishing time. I'd like to start at 7:30 if possible. There's plenty of light by then and it's starting to warm up around then too. Let me know what time is good. I drive a white Nissan Maxima and park on the road in front of the church.
    The weather this weekend looks good so I'd like to try to ride then too.
    Ryan

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i can ride thursday at 730. just meet on the road in front of the church? i usually park in the church. so i will be looking for u

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i usually ride with other people on the weekend. would you want to ride with that group that i ride with? it is usually around 930 or 11. jsut letting you know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm in for Saturday mornings. I think it will be cold and icy tomorrow morning, but I'm still in if you want to go.

Masher
    I'm in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC
    I'm in.
    In for Thursday morning, or Saturdays? I take it you mean Saturdays based on your earlier post, but maybe you changed your mind? I probably won't ride solo tomorrow, but will go with someone else. I need that extra motivator when it's only supposed to be 22 degrees out.

Tcapri87, definitely in for Thursday?

Masher
    I am a definite for Saturday. Time and place and I'll be there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Trying to psyche myself up into getting into riding again. Stopped at summers end. Not in great shape, but looking to do something on Friday after work. Plus I have never been to Loch Raven. Can get somewhere in the Loch Raven area around 3:45- 4pm ish if somebody wants to meet up and go for a short (probably 30-45 min) ride. I am coming down from Edgewood.

Sweeper
    MisterC and all,

I am game for a Satruday ride. Weather is suppose to be nice and Patapsco will be a thawed Mud pit.

Just let me know time and place.

Masher
    ugh, hate to say it but I deplore the mud. I'm in and I'll ride Patapsco if nobody is riding Loch Raven but a change of scenery would be nice.

Sweeper
    MisterC,

What time you want to ride Saturday? Do any other members in this thread want to ride LochRaven this Satuday?

Masher
    I'd like to go early and hopefully the trails will still be nice and hard. Like 9ish.

But later works just as easily schedule wise.

Sweeper
    Early is fine with me. From others accounts of the trails there..... They do not become anywhere as mucky as Patapsco when a thaw takes place.

Masher
    Is anyone else still active in this thread/is anyone else riding Saturday?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As much as I hate being non-committal, I'm a maybe for Saturday. If my cold gets worse I probably won't ride, and based on what my wife and son have, I'd says that's fairly likely. 9:00 works fine for me though.

I did make it out there this morning and went for a very brief ride before my hands got painfully cold and I turned back. It was 17 degrees when I left my house, which is a good 10-12 degrees colder than my winter rides thus far. I've just been wearing standard full-finger gloves up until now, which have been fine near freezing. I'll have to pick up some proper winter gloves tonight. Sorry you couldn't make it tcapri87. Maybe another time?

Masher
    I'm working on a cold right now as well, I'm just counting on it being gone by Saturday.

If it isn't...Dayquil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm in for Saturday BUT I'm definitely out of shape as I don't get to ride much even when the weather was warm.

But I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy, Garmin 305, assuming it comes in before then.

Masher
    9:00 looks liek the time. Good suggestion on where to meet? I know the area somewhat but not the park area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think Seminary Rd opposite the Church.

Sep 2008
    so are we riding? is so is it agreed 9 at the church?

Masher
    Sounds good. I'll be there.

I heard you swear...
    I'll be there pending a ride with ol' smitDOG!

Sweeper
    Quote Originally Posted by sandersbigbike
    I'll be there pending a ride with ol' smitDOG!
    w00t!!! Sander is In!

Masher
    Does anybody have the address of that church or something nearby I can punch in to my GPS?

Just to be safe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC
    Does anybody have the address of that church or something nearby I can punch in to my GPS?

Just to be safe.
    I don't have an address, but it's the corner of Dulaney Valley Rd and Seminary Ave in Timonium. It's about a mile or so north of 695 on Dulaney Valley (exit 27?). Coming from the beltway on Dulaney Valley, take a left onto Seminary and park at the side of the road on your immediate right. I tried to embed a map and couldn't get it to work. Here's a link instead.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...b25e8e37834694

I've decided that I'm going to have to man up and come out for this ride, despite feeling like azz. Are most of you guys regular Patapsco riders making the trip up?

Masher
    I believe there are three of us coming up from Patapsco area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i dont think i can make it. i have had a nasty cold since tuesday and it is getting worst. probably from riding on the weekend when it was so freaking cold. anyways, have a good ride, ill post maybe for a ride next week or next weekend.

Masher
    A faithful trail report now says its too wet so I thought I would shout it out.

No ride.

Has sad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    MisterC, your informant let you down. The conditions were great out there today. It may have been muddy yesterday, but it was still largely frozen today, and the areas that weren't were pretty dry. Loch Raven dries really quickly.
    I met up with TJ (iridexc) and Wally (tahj33) for a ride of about 1:40. There were tons of other riders riders out there today, and maybe a couple of you Patapsco riders were among them. We waited about 10 minutes before we set off, so sorry if we missed any of you. Hit up this thread again if you want to make this trip some other time. I plan on going out Sunday morning at 9 to meet up with another group that I found out about today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    anyone maybe looking to ride early in the morning this week? around 8 or so? maybe next weekend?

Masher
    Yeah, I actually broke down and went out at about 12. Yesterday.

Got there at 12:30ish and hooked up with a group of about 7 very cool guys and did the out and back to the hill.

As for the mud, it was really muddy, but rideable enough. I can see how some might call that un-rideable. My bike was totally caked when I got back to my car.

I went out by myself at first, hit the mud, and came back. I was going to leave when the guys assured me it was only that bad near the start.

I like the trails a lot but it is next to impossible for me to get out during the week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I went out this morning at 9 and saw lots of frozen tire tracks from yesterday, so I guess it did get muddy after the thaw. Glad you ended having a good ride in the end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    anyone riding Loch Raven tomorrow morning?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I can ride as long as we can finish by 8:30 or so. 7am start? It doesn't look like we're getting any real rain tonight so the trail conditions should be decent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yeah i can ride at 7am. thatd be perfect. u usually ride from the church?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yep, I ride from the church. I drive a white Nissan Maxima, so you can look out for me. I'll PM you my contact info. Let me know if your plans change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just got back home after having waited 15 minutes. My best guess is that you woke up, saw the fog, and decided it was too wet. Maybe you're right, but a call would have been nice I'm gonna go hit the trainer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Anyone looking to ride early tomorrow morning?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How do you get to the trail from the church? Are you allowed to park in the church parking lot?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek950
    How do you get to the trail from the church? Are you allowed to park in the church parking lot?
    Go east on Seminary about 200 yards, and the trail drops in on the left (North) side of the street. I remember another thread that stated parking in the church lot is welcome every day of the week EXCEPT for Sunday, when they need the lot for their parishioners. I just park on the side of the street though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Stupid rain! I wanted to ride today. Rode mmans loop on monday and it was awesome.

Would anybody on here be down to have a workday on the trails, like we'll ride through and fix up some of the really badly designed logramps, put in some jumps, work on trouble spots, clear brush out from eye-level, that kinda stuff.

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid Hollister
    Stupid rain! I wanted to ride today. Rode mmans loop on monday and it was awesome.

Would anybody on here be down to have a workday on the trails, like we'll ride through and fix up some of the really badly designed logramps, put in some jumps, work on trouble spots, clear brush out from eye-level, that kinda stuff.
    If anyone is interested in participating in a work day at Loch Raven, shoot me a PM and I will add your e-mail to the official MORE workdays for the reservoir. We perform four workdays each year to help keep this amazing resource open for biking.

I would warn against running a workday that isn't sanctioned by the City for the obvious reasons regarding mountain biking's often imperiled relationship around this municipal water supply. Jumps, trail building, and riding when muddy only serve to endanger our relationship with the City and could result in the unthinkable.

I apologize if this comes off as condescending, it is meant more in terms of elucidating what is potentially unknown to most trail users at Loch Raven. I do appreciate that some of you are interested in helping out with the trails and hope to see you at some of our trail days.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I mean most of the trail we ride on out there is illegal anyways, unless you stay purely on the fire road, so i wasn't too worried about notifying the city or anything. I didn't know there were official workdays though. Was there one this monday because while I was out I saw a LOT of trash picked up in bags.

Mar 2004
    I was thinking of going tomorrow Sunday morning. Should be sunny until about noon. Anyone going? How do the trails look? Is it real muddy? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was out for a couple of hours this afternoon. The trails were pretty dry in most places, but there were a fair number of puddles still drying out. Definitely rideable. I may try to go out early, like by 9 or so. I really won't decide until I get up and figure out if I can get away from the wife and kid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    was night riding last tuesday by myself, and ran into a group of 8 other riders riding at night. just wondering if it was anyone from here?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

yes they are

Hi,

There are group rides on multiple days at Seminary. Tuesday is Race Pace, Wed is Lutherville bike shop, and Thursdays are Joes Bikes Shop. I think this is the scedule. For more info call the individual shops and ask them what times and days they ride. Lutherville is every Wed at 6 leaving from the shop, dont know about the others.

See You there

G

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    do they ride at night at all tho?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

ummmm...

Last I checked, 6 is considered night time. As for later rides, most people have to get back to there families. During the winter we ride at 6 and it has been dark for an hour. For most of us 6 months of dark riding is more than enough. Call the shops if you have specific questions, most of these guys are really nice and just looking to get out and ride like you.

G

Members who have read this thread: 0