Anyone do Huckleberry Trail in the last year?- Mtbr.com
    Because I am !

Anyone do Huckleberry Trail in the last year?

The one off the top of Spruce Knob, WV that brings you out on Seneca Creek Trail.
    I've got some vacation time next week and was going to hit a few trails I haven't
    been on before or at least not in years. Just wondered how Huckleberry was
    looking..

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

Because I am !
    Well, no replies, looks like this might be an adventure in itself !

Map ! (check), Compass ! (check), GPS ! (check), Extra parts ! (check)
    Beer ! (whoops, not yet).......... Gotta get through there first.....

If I don't post again by early next week please send someone out there to find Scott24
    and I.

If I make it out of there in one piece I'll post some pics.

ODN

Apr 2006

Seneca Rocks area trails

Hey, I am looking for trails in the same area. I will be staying there for a weekend in Oct & I need trail advice.
    I couldn't find anything definite, so I figured I would have to drive to Davis or Slatyfork.
    Let me know how the trails are.

Because I am !
    Well this idea went down the tubes. My five day trip was cut to three days before I even
    hit the road. Have to be at a funeral on Saturday so Scott24 and I had to leave camp on
    Friday.

The original plan was to hit Huckleberry on Saturday so we had plenty of time.
    Well, the plan was modified, pull up camp in Pocahontas County on Friday morning,
    get to Spruce Knob and get the ride in on Friday. Well, the monsoon season had hit
    the mountains and has rained on us some every day.

We did get in a great ride on Thursday over near Rimel, WV on Two Lick trail. It then
    rained hard all night Thursday night and was mighty cloudy all morning. We stopped
    by Elk River Touring Center to say hello to "davis" and look at the new Maverick ML-8.
    What a sweet ride !!!! Stop in and check it out. Think I'll rent one for a day and try it
    out on those crazy trails around Tea Creek.

Anyway, within no time we were back on the road it started raining lightly in a couple
    places on the way to Spruce Knob. As we were climbing to the parking area on Spruce Knob, the weather started getting worse. We were nearly at the top and all he!!
    broke loose. 50 to 60 mph winds, really scary lightning, and widow makers flying
    everywhere. Scott24 and I didn't have a lenthy discussion about doing this ride today.
    We could see the sky to the east and there was no end in sight. It was more like, lets
    get off this mountain while we still can. It rained on us the rest of the way to Elkins
    and then on and off all the way home.

TRUSS : Hopefully I'll get to do this ride soon and I'll keep you in mind when I do. I'll
    post something so anyone interested will have somewhat of an idea how the trails are.
    It will only take me 3 hours to drive there so I'll just wait till I see a good weekend and
    hit the road early. I do know there are several trails in that immediate area. There is
    Allegheny Mtn. Trail, Seneca Creek Trail and Lumberjack trail all running off the main
    road up on Spruce and they have connector trails between them. Of course the only
    one I haven't been on in over 6 years is Huckleberry so I can't tell you about that one
    at all. The others I rode about three years ago and they were a bunch of fun. Hope
    to give you more info soon.

ODN

Apr 2006
    Sorry about the bad weather! Thanks for the info. I tested a Maverick at Big Bear once, real nice!

Because I am !
    Finally got to ride Huckleberry. See the Passion Post "Ride Report - Spruce
    Knob in WV or the link under WV as Ride Report Huckleberry (X-Post).

TRUSS, I have a topo map of our Huckleberry ride, PDF format. It will print 11 X 17,
    shows our route and has tic marks with degree and UTM coordinates. Lists several
    other trails in that area as well if you are interested.

ODN

Apr 2006
    ODN, I am real interested in the map, it will save lots of time trying to locate trails. I also get lost easily and the map may save me!

Members who have read this thread: 0