any trails near Summersville lake, / new river gorge- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

any trails near Summersville lake, / new river gorge

my rock climbing buddy is going up to this area this weekend, and i was wondering if there are some trails in the area worth riding.

i'm coming from raleigh, NC, so i want to make sure there's some stuff to ride if i'm going to drag my bike up there.

any help is appreciated.

the unvarnished nonsense

Define "some"...

Summersville Dam is like 30 minutes from Pocahontas County and the Monongahela Nat'l Forest. Kennison Mt. Trail, Pocahontas Trail, South Mt. Trail, Cow Pasture Trail, Tea Creek Mt. Trail, Gauley Mt. Trail, Frosty Gap Trail, Bear Pen Trail, Red Run Trail, Bannock Shoals Trail, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

You'll have a better time than your buddy. I didn't even scratch the surface.

There may be some stuff closer, but HecklerBoy would be in a better position to confirm or deny that. You won't be disappointed. Let us know when you're coming. Maybe we can all get hooked up.

HB, howz you and BallBat been doin'? Haven't heard from you guys since the Shuffle. Still have your hammer. Will try not to forget it next time we meet to ride....
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    There are definitely trails in the New River Gorge. Most of the whitewater rafting outfitters also offer mountain bike excursions.

I've rafted the New River Gorge a few times...it's simply stunning. I imagine it must be a real kick to ride it. You have 800' of elevation from river bottom to the top of the Gorge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    Summersville Dam is like 30 minutes from Pocahontas County and the Monongahela Nat'l Forest. Kennison Mt. Trail, Pocahontas Trail, South Mt. Trail, Cow Pasture Trail, Tea Creek Mt. Trail, Gauley Mt. Trail, Frosty Gap Trail, Bear Pen Trail, Red Run Trail, Bannock Shoals Trail, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

You'll have a better time than your buddy. I didn't even scratch the surface.

There may be some stuff closer, but HecklerBoy would be in a better position to confirm or deny that. You won't be disappointed. Let us know when you're coming. Maybe we can all get hooked up.

HB, howz you and BallBat been doin'? Haven't heard from you guys since the Shuffle. Still have your hammer. Will try not to forget it next time we meet to ride....

cool man, thanks for the info. i'm coming for all of labor day weekend. no idea where we're camping. it's somewhere close to lake summersville, maybe 10 miles south.

Because I am !
    ACE Adventure Center has numerous mountain bike trails. Think they even have a race coming up there this month. There would be a fee there.

However, davis said it. Pocahontas County ! ! That's where it's at..... and no fee's. At least for most. I usually pay in blood....

Gotta love it !
    Last edited by outdoornut; 09-01-2005 at 09:20 PM.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoornut
    However, davis said it. Pocahontas County ! ! That's where it's at....!
    Thanks for backing me up there. I know there's stuff at the gorge but I've never ridden there, so I couldn't tell you whats what down there. Pokey County IS where its at though....including some damn fine Damson Plum moonshine..I think anyone that was at the Slatyfork Shuffle this year will back me on THAT one too....if they remember Friday night, that is!

Not sure what to type?

Trails around Summersville...

There are a few of "legal" trails at Summersville Lake you can ride. Salmon Run, Battle Run, and Long Point Trails. However they are pretty tame. The wife and I hike the Salmon Run trail when we feel like mixing our walk up. I've attached a map of the trails for you.
    Your best bet would be to ride in Fayetteville or over here in the National Forest.
    In Fayetteville, try the Kaymor to Cunard trail. It's not as tame as the trails at the lake and has some nice scenary of the New River. You can also ride the Cunard to Thurmond trail that runs along the New River. Then checkout the old train station at Thurmond.

Like the others said, Pocahontas county is where it's at. Some of the best trails on the east coast. You can check out some pictures and descriptions of the trails on my website if you like. Just click on the link at the bottom of this post.
    Have fun and drop me a line if you want some company riding in the National Forest.

Davis, JR and I are doing great. Haven't got to ride much since the gathering. Been out of town for work. We should try to ride this weekend if your not partying too much.
    Oh yeah, sorry but Summersville is more like an hour from Kennison Mtn trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    solid.

you have certainly given me a lot of options. depending on how things turn out w/ the climbing. i may be able to make it over to the forest. i wont know til i get there.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecklerboy
    Oh yeah, sorry but Summersville is more like an hour from Kennison Mtn trail.
    An hour? Really? I can make Charleston in just over two hours,but that's with *me* driving....takes Amy a little over 3....OK, you're better of with HB's estimate....

I've been busy as sin. And the doc put me off of the bike for at least a week. I didn't tell her about the little road ride yesterday, but I feel it today. Seems I had a touch of mono. Maybe that explains the weak riding at the Shuffle? Any excuse will do, I guess. So for now, its canning, canning, canning. I'm getting ready to just plow the damned stuff under rather than deal with it anymore. At least the zucchini and cukes have died off. Now if I can just do something with those 100+ pepper plants and same number of tomatoes...and the beets....and all of those potatoes...and onions....and scallions....and Hubbard squash....and cabbage....and salsify....and carrots...

HB, if you want any of the above mentioned produce, call me, I might be coming over to Craigsville next week, that is, if we can afford the gas money to get there...

white boy extraordinaire

How far is Kanawha?

Planning a similarly minded trip next year but figured I's ask while the gettin is good.

Is KSF far from summersville?

Also, what is the approx. time from Elk River Touring Company, ERTC, to summersville? Any best route to take? The reason I ask is I've made the trip before and it took almost two hours, so I think I may have gone the wrong way.

Thanks,

CMW
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

Not sure what to type?

Let's see...

Quote Originally Posted by cmweldon
    Planning a similarly minded trip next year but figured I's ask while the gettin is good.

Is KSF far from summersville?

Also, what is the approx. time from Elk River Touring Company, ERTC, to summersville? Any best route to take? The reason I ask is I've made the trip before and it took almost two hours, so I think I may have gone the wrong way.

Thanks,

CMW
    From Summersville to KSF it's about and hour and 15 minutes.
    From Summersville to ERTC it's about an hour.
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!