Any SW Virginia riders here?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Any SW Virginia riders here?

Just wondering if we have an SW Va riders lurking around here? I'm down in the Wytheville area and do alot of riding here and around the Damascus area and was wondering if their was anyone out there from the area.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I'm a SWVA rider from further SW than Wytheville

Feb 2006
    I am in central VA but ride down that way often. I have a good friend who bikes and lives in Norton.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    We rode the creeper on Friday. We did it the lazy way by riding the shuttle from Abington to Whitetop. It was great weather, but the trail was extremely soft which made the first few miles the toughest instead of the fastest. We only saw 3 hikers and 4 bikers until we got near Abington. Where is some good singletrack around Damascus?

Hank, where does your buddy in Norton ride? I am over in KY and plan on riding in Wise sometime, but may try to ride some in Norton too...
    " No! try not, Do or do not. There is no try. "

www.justthebonnet.com
    Blacksburg, Va. Ride at Carvins cove, explorer park, fort lewis, etc..
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by atvsmurf
    We rode the creeper on Friday. We did it the lazy way by riding the shuttle from Abington to Whitetop. It was great weather, but the trail was extremely soft which made the first few miles the toughest instead of the fastest. We only saw 3 hikers and 4 bikers until we got near Abington. Where is some good singletrack around Damascus?
    The good singletrack around Damascus is on the Iron Mtn trail. Depending on what you like to ride, you can put together a loop for anything you want to do. One of my favorites leaves from the Beartree parking area and heads up toward Skulls Gap before heading back down Iron Mtn and to Beartree. This route is about 15 miles. If you want to make it a long, all day epic, you could ride Jerry's Creek and Rowland Creek too. That whole loop would be about 35 miles. I could go on and on about more loops to make around there.

Hank, where does your buddy in Norton ride? I am over in KY and plan on riding in Wise sometime, but may try to ride some in Norton too...
    I live in Wise. Riding in the Wise/Norton area is kinda dry. There is Guest River Gorge in Coeburn but for me its boring. It's alot like the Creeper Trail; an out and back ride, all downhill going out and all uphill coming back. Round trip is about 11.5 miles. It's easily done in under an hour. If you traveled to Damascus through St Paul you probably noticed some signs for Hiking/Biking Trails. Those are the Sugar Hill trails. They are fun for a quick ride. In the Norton area you could ride some gravel roads on High Knob or some of the Chief Benges Trail. I've ridden around Bark Camp lake; its about a 3.5 mile loop with no real climbing. It's probably my favorite after work mountain ride. Someone recommended that I ride around the High Knob recreation lake too but I haven't done that one yet. I'm familiar with some fire roads in the Wise area too that would be fun to ride if they haven't been taken over by loggers yet. If you're willing to drive a little past Wise, the trails at Warrior's Path State Park in Kingsport, TN are some great singletrack. The trails are built and maintained by the NTMBA so they are built by riders who know what other riders like. Let me know if you want to try riding some around here. I'm sure I could put together a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_hank
    The good singletrack around Damascus is on the Iron Mtn trail. Depending on what you like to ride, you can put together a loop for anything you want to do. One of my favorites leaves from the Beartree parking area and heads up toward Skulls Gap before heading back down Iron Mtn and to Beartree. This route is about 15 miles. If you want to make it a long, all day epic, you could ride Jerry's Creek and Rowland Creek too. That whole loop would be about 35 miles. I could go on and on about more loops to make around there.
    I try to ride that area about every other Sunday during the summer, I usually park at the bottom of Jerry's creek and head up Rowland then make my way up into the beartree area and hit a few of those trails and return back down Jerrys Creek... normally about a 30 mile loop.

...soon to be sith lord..
    Iron Mtn is an excellent place to ride! Well over 20 miles of trails with singletrack, double track, fire roads, whatever you need for a good epic ride. I live in Abingdon and get down there as often as possible. The next time you plan to come down to that area again, post it and we'll show you around, you won't be disappointed!
    Hillbilly Hank! I'm originally from Wise, just moved to Abingdon...do I know you?
    There is a fine line between control and catastrophe
    Northeast Tennessee Mountain Bike Association

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have a site wytheoutdoors.com that I post most of my rides own and anyone is free to join me. Normally my longer rides are done on Iron Mtn... either the Jerrys creek/ beartree area or in the Speedwell, VA area... the latter of the 2 has more horse traffic but is closer to me and has around 30 or so miles of riding available. It is possible to ride from Speedwell to Damascus using the Highlands Horse Trail and the Iron Mtn Trail. I'm guessing that would be around a 70 mile ride or so.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    uhh... yeah you do. It's Andy... my usual name was taken when I signed up here so I came up with this dumb name.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    Blacksburg, Va. Ride at Carvins cove, explorer park, fort lewis, etc..
    I rode at Carvins Cove over the weekend. It's a great place to ride. Saturday I rode alone and rode up Buck's Rut, down the Trough, up the Gauntlet, and down Hi-De-Ho. Sunday I had a riding partner and we stuck to the flatter sections near the lake.

Praying for rain!
    Jan 2006
    Well I'm from Penninton Gap, and just started riding again after about ten years off, so maybe I will see some of you "local" boys around.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I just noticed your reply KayakGuy. We'll have to get this group of locals together for a ride sometime. We were thinking about a trip to Tsali this weekend but I think that died from lack of interest. Maybe a ride at Iron Mtn would get more people to go.

Praying for rain!
    Jan 2006
    Around here I have really only ridden at Warriors Path, mainly I am just riding around the house. Summer will dry the rivers up and expand my mountain biking range. Tsali is defintely on my list though.

We're riding Iron Mountain on Sunday if any of you fellas wanna join us..

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    We'll meet at the caboose in Damascus at 9am. I'm feeling a bit sadistic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Wish I could make it but I'm on baby watch for the next few weeks. Once the new addition gets here I'll try to make it down for one of the rides.

Congrats caboverpete!

Mar 2006
    Doh! Just started a thread like this. Guess I should have scrolled down a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakguy
    Well I'm from Penninton Gap, and just started riding again after about ten years off, so maybe I will see some of you "local" boys around.
    that town has grown a lot in the last ten years...I was out there working St.Charles from '89 untill '93
    didn't ride any bikes but rode some four-wheelers on Powell mtn coals properties...
    " No! try not, Do or do not. There is no try. "

Apr 2006
    I live in Wise. Riding in the Wise/Norton area is kinda dry. There is Guest River Gorge in Coeburn but for me its boring. It's alot like the Creeper Trail; an out and back ride, all downhill going out and all uphill coming back. Round trip is about 11.5 miles. It's easily done in under an hour. If you traveled to Damascus through St Paul you probably noticed some signs for Hiking/Biking Trails. Those are the Sugar Hill trails. They are fun for a quick ride. In the Norton area you could ride some gravel roads on High Knob or some of the Chief Benges Trail. I've ridden around Bark Camp lake; its about a 3.5 mile loop with no real climbing. It's probably my favorite after work mountain ride. Someone recommended that I ride around the High Knob recreation lake too but I haven't done that one yet. I'm familiar with some fire roads in the Wise area too that would be fun to ride if they haven't been taken over by loggers yet. If you're willing to drive a little past Wise, the trails at Warrior's Path State Park in Kingsport, TN are some great singletrack. The trails are built and maintained by the NTMBA so they are built by riders who know what other riders like. Let me know if you want to try riding some around here. I'm sure I could put together a fun ride.
    I rode Sugar Hill last year. It's a fun ride, but kinda short. Where is the Guest River Gorge in Coeburn? I may have to check out some of the riding around High Knob too.

There are some good trails at Steele Creek Park in Bristol, TN. Here's a link to the maps:

http://www.friendsofsteelecreek.org/maps.htm

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I've ridden at Steele Creek a couple of times. The trails there are fun, I need to ride there more. Another place I want to check out is Hungry Mother State Park. The Guest River Gorge trailhead is about 4 miles south of Coeburn, off VA 72. Look for a sign for a left turn to the parking lot. The drive from 72 to the parking area is about 1.5 miles. The trail is rails to trails stuff that is pretty easy. It's much like the Creeper Trail. It is out and back, downhill on the way out, uphill on the way back. We're going scouting some trails on High Knob tomorrow that have potential to be some sweet single track.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've ridden at Steele Creek a couple of times. The trails there are fun, I need to ride there more. Another place I want to check out is Hungry Mother State Park. The Guest River Gorge trailhead is about 4 miles south of Coeburn, off VA 72. Look for a sign for a left turn to the parking lot. The drive from 72 to the parking area is about 1.5 miles. The trail is rails to trails stuff that is pretty easy. It's much like the Creeper Trail. It is out and back, downhill on the way out, uphill on the way back. We're going scouting some trails on High Knob tomorrow that have potential to be some sweet single track.
    I wouldnt go too far out of my way to hit up Hungry Mother... the race they have in the fall is fun but besides that there isnt a whole lot there. If its part of a larger trip it might be worth dropping by though.

Apr 2006
    Does anyone here every do any night riding? I am thinking about checking that out when it gets a little warmer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    I'm here in roanoke/salem...

spots: carvins cove, ft. lewis, north mtn, brush/gap mtn snowshoe in the summer

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

I'll be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by caboverpete
    Just wondering if we have an SW Va riders lurking around here? I'm down in the Wytheville area and do alot of riding here and around the Damascus area and was wondering if their was anyone out there from the area.
    I'm in CA right now, but I'm likely moving back to the Roanoke/Blackburg area this summer. I lived in the Roanoke area for 10 years and that's where I learned to ride. I've been gone for 5 years now. I cannot tell you how stoked I am to come back and ride at Carvin's Cove and Douthat again. I'll be looking to hook up with anyone who wants to ride in the Blacksburg/Roanoke area.

Apr 2004
    Live in Roanoke, work in Salem. We ride Carvin's Cove pretty regularly. Occasional trip to Pandapas and some of the others around here. We go to Damascus about once a month to ride the Creeper Trail with the wives/girlfriends. I have a friend who lives in Marion, so I'm down there a lot...

Members who have read this thread: 0