Any good trails up in Deep Creek?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Any good trails up in Deep Creek?

I will be spending a few days up in Deep Creek in February. I realize it's ski season, but I was also hoping to get some riding in. Anyone familiar with Deep Creek and its' mountain bike trails?

Cereal Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperClyde
    I will be spending a few days up in Deep Creek in February. I realize it's ski season, but I was also hoping to get some riding in. Anyone familiar with Deep Creek and its' mountain bike trails?
    There's one trail called Accident (the town is called Accident also) that's only a few minutes away from Deep Creek. If you go to High Mountain Sports in Deep Creek they can give you directions. I think it's more for snoe-mobiles in the winter, so it might be better riding conditions than the skiing trails. There's more, but that's the only one in the area that I've actually rode. Really nice trail system.

Mar 2004
    Thanks. I think I rode that system once a few years ago - it's built above a natural gas reservoir, if I'm not mistaken. A guy named Josh from the bike shop you mentioned gave us a guided tour. Some decent log piles, too.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I'm actually thinking of buying a small mountain-cabin style house up there as a 2nd home, something cheap. Doesn't have to be near the lake, in fact I'd prefer it to be adjacent to some good trails.

Professional Slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by chadmeeh
    There's one trail called Accident (the town is called Accident also) that's only a few minutes away from Deep Creek. If you go to High Mountain Sports in Deep Creek they can give you directions. I think it's more for snoe-mobiles in the winter, so it might be better riding conditions than the skiing trails. There's more, but that's the only one in the area that I've actually rode. Really nice trail system.
    Chad...where are you again ? Accident is a great trail system. Probably the best singletrack around. Well... its practically the only singletrack in Garrett Co. The guys at High Mountain Sports and the Garrett Co. Crew in general have done a great job. I need to get out there more this spring. There's not really much snow on the ground although they're calling for an inch or so today but I imagine its quite ridable.
    Last edited by chili; 01-31-2006 at 06:07 AM.
    Procastinators...Our Leaders of Tomorrow!

Professional Slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperClyde
    Thanks. I think I rode that system once a few years ago - it's built above a natural gas reservoir, if I'm not mistaken. A guy named Josh from the bike shop you mentioned gave us a guided tour. Some decent log piles, too.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I'm actually thinking of buying a small mountain-cabin style house up there as a 2nd home, something cheap. Doesn't have to be near the lake, in fact I'd prefer it to be adjacent to some good trails.
    Damn Clyde..

25 years old and buying a second house at the lake? wtf do you do for a living ? where do you live now ?

Where did I go wrong... I just turned 30 and because of 'the Lake' and the over inflated costs of real estate that it has cuased, I can't afford to buy a house anywhere in Garrett Co. !

Ok.. all jealousy aside. When and if you move out this way drop me a line. There is a bunch of riding in the area, not necessarily around the lake though. Although I'm sure there are similar trails out that way too. There are miles and miles trails outside of Frostburg and the surrounding towns. There is hardly any singletrack as most are old mining and logging roads turned into 4 wheeler trails, but many are quite technical with lots of climbing. All are on private property so you won't find any maps of them. Your best bet would be to befriend somebody local with a 4 wheeler and have them show you around.

Chad is right though, Accident does rock. It is only 9-10 miles but it has a little bit of everything.
    Last edited by chili; 01-31-2006 at 06:18 AM.

Cereal Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by chili
    Chad...where are you again ? Accident is a great trail system. Probably the best singletrack around. Well... its practically the only singletrack in Garrett Co. The guys at High Mountain Sports and the Garrett Co. Crew in general have done a great job. I need to get out there more this spring. There's not really much snow on the ground although they're calling for an inch or so today but I imagine its quite ridable.
    I was in Frostburg for a while. At the moment, I'm living in Atlanta, GA, but getting ready to move back. Sorry for not keeping in touch. I was working a butt load at Hites Bike shop, and then he all the sudden closes up, and I'm out of a job. Had to come here to Atlanta temorarily (sp). But I think I have a decent job lined up back there. So I'll be back there in a week or two.

Accident is a great trail system. But for me, it lived up to it's name. Almost every time I went out there, I was having some kind of a mechanical problem. One of them made me wreck and fall on my side, with my feet still clipped in! From the position I was laying at, it literally took me about 4 minutes to unclip from my pedals! I was starting to think I was going to die out there with my feet still clipped in. haha Another good trail to ride is at Rocky Gap. It's not too hard, but there are a few good trails that shoot off from the main one. It's maybe 10 minutes from the once you get through Cumberland. So it's maybe 45 minutes from Deep Creek.

Professional Slacker
    That's right. We've probably met at the shop then. I'm a part time potter and work in the Gallery at Canal Place from time to time. I came into the shop quite a few times in its short existence. It sounds like that was a good deal gone bad quick. That shop was incredible. The inventory was amazing. I was sad to see it go.

So..where do you think you might have landed a job ?

Rocky Gap is great too. WesternMD (the poster on here) has done a lot to maintain and build new trails there. He's actually been working on them the past couple of weekeknds. I really need to get out and ride more this year. My riding last year was pretty much limited to pulling my little girl behind me on the Highlands trail. When you make it back up here we'll have to hook up for a ride.

Back in NH
    Jan 2005

Try some cross training....

Why don't you drag your back side down to Rocky Gap and give me a hand????
    I plan to get out there Saturday and do some more work. We are making some good progress and I am hoping to make it more user friendly by summer with better maps and marking of many of the new trails. We will start cutting some brand new trails this week. All of which are SS friendly and I am trying to maximize flow as the terrain is not terribly technical.

I imagine I will be doing some rail trail towing by the fall as well. We are due for our first in a week or so. The trails are damp but will be very ridable with some above freezing temps and no rain. I am always willing to drag the lights out this time of year at either RG or the highlands trail. Just let me know when chili....just starting to get on the bike after a very restful (read lazy) fall and holidays...
    J

Cereal Killer
    Yeah, Hites was a great shop. It was fun working there for the most part. Took all of us off gaurd when he told us he was closing. And the messed up thing was, he didn't tell any of the customers or anyone else. Just open one day, closed for good the next. Chili, I'm sure I've met you, but I don't remember. I actually came down here to Atlanta, and am working at a bike shop here, but they focus mostly on high-end road bikes. Nice stuff, but I'd rather work on a mountain bike. But it just isn't paying enough to pay for gas, rent and bills. Anyway, I might be getting a job driving tractor/trailers locally. I'll definitely make more money, but I don't think it will be as exciting. O'well, gotta do what you gotta do.

Jamie, how's things been going? So you guys have been doing a lot of work on the trails out there, huh? Are you talking about the ones right above the usual parking lot? I'll have to check it out when I get back. Depending on how things work out with the job situation, i'll come out and give you all a hand. See ya soon.

Chad

Professional Slacker
    Why don't you drag your back side down to Rocky Gap and give me a hand????
    I already had previous plans the last two Sundays....as I already do this Saturday as well, depending on what time you're going. I do want to come give you a hand eventually. Thanks for all you've done and been doing.

I imagine I will be doing some rail trail towing by the fall as well.
    CONGRATS !

I should've bought a double wide trailer myself.
    Last edited by chili; 01-31-2006 at 01:41 PM.

Back in NH
    Jan 2005

Just bustin your balls

Would love help when it works out for ya. I will be out in the pm Saturday.

Chad. We will be cutting into the area above the parking lot this week.
    Hope all works out for you. You could check into Adventure Sports in Frostburg. I seem to have remembered a help wanted sign in the window some time ago.
    J

Mar 2004
    LOL...I'm glad my thread turned into a reunion!

BTW - my birthdate is wrong in my bio. Yes, I'm looking for a 2nd home, but I'm 34 not 25!

Cereal Killer
    LOL, sorry about that. You know how it goes when you reconnect with someone. Even at 34, buying your second home, especially around Deep Creek area, is a sure sign you're doing something right. Wish I could be doing that good! I'm having a hard enough time finding a job to pay the bills! Anyway, hope we helped out a little bit.

mtbr member
    don't mean to hijack, but you mentioned dragging out the lights.

is night riding legal at rocky gap? I've never been out there as it's such a hike for me, but there are so few places where it is (as in one, only on certain days of the week and you have to be out by 10:00). Thinking of doing a weekend-type trip sometime in the spring, and the possibility of nightriding somewhere new (where there aren't a zillion other riders out every night) would be a good enticement.

Back in NH
    Jan 2005

well, this is what I can tell ya....

I have not asked the question directly, and do not plan to. However, RG is a state park but unlike those that you refer to does not have the business and number of users that requires strict regulation and patroling. Most SPs close at a certain time and everyone is booted. With a lack of patrols, the campground, and the yuppie lodge there are people around at all hours. Any given night might have a half dozen boats on the lake fishing with lights. This does not happen at other parks. There is not one magic gate to access the park that is guarded.
    I have done a number of night rides there. Always just after dark and never terribly late, until 10 or so. I am respectful and curteous to all in areas such as the campground. Usually it is early or late in the year or I am gearing up for a 24 hr race. Most times the place is dead.
    I do know that they will boot or fine people acting inappropriately and being loud, drinking, or swimming at night in the day use area.
    With a little discretion and common sense it has been tolerated. The manager at the park is very pro user and pro bike and is very tolerant of respectful use. I would be very suprised if they even had a clue that anyone did any night riding at the park.

You are 100 percent good to ride at Green Ridge State Forest at night. GR is only a few miles to the east and has a fast and aerobically challenging 12 mile loop built and maintained for biking and even has camping at the trailhead. A great destination that few utilize. It could be a great stop on an adventure heading west to somewhere such as Davis, WV where the trails are real interesting.

Either way I am always up for night or day rides in this area and eager to get out.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    don't mean to hijack, but you mentioned dragging out the lights.

is night riding legal at rocky gap? I've never been out there as it's such a hike for me, but there are so few places where it is (as in one, only on certain days of the week and you have to be out by 10:00). Thinking of doing a weekend-type trip sometime in the spring, and the possibility of nightriding somewhere new (where there aren't a zillion other riders out every night) would be a good enticement.

Members who have read this thread: 0