Any Delaware riders here- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Any Delaware riders here

Hi all,

New to the forum and currently researching to buy my first bike, but have no clue. I was wondering if there are any riders here who are in and around the newark, de area who would may be interested in helping out a newbie.

I don't want to start with something reasonably priced and I have a thread in the beginners corner, where folks have given some good advice. But also said that a bike store will able to help more.

1. I was wondering which local bike store do you use if any?
    2. Is there an local riding clubs that I can join to meet fellow riders.
    3. I most likely will to my local park to ride first, before I venture out riding trails.
    4. Would love to get some local riders advice on trails etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm in Newark and while I use all the local shops I prefer Henrys by a pretty big margin. Henry's Bicycle Shop | Newark, DE - Home Good gear and no hard sales pitch, pretty good chance you'll be dealing with the owner and he knows his stuff. If you have a bike brand preference you can usual find it somewhere.

Google the Delaware Trailspinners, they are more active on Facebook than their own site. They do a bunch of rides for all levels of experience, along with periodic skills classes and a couple larger events. Nice people and they do a lot of the local trail work.

What's your local park?

The trails around here (White Clay Creek and Middle Run) are a lot of fun and not very technical at all, so nothing for a new rider to be afraid of. I'm a pretty average rider and I can clear most everything on a rigid single speed. Iron Hill has a little more chunky stuff, Fair Hill in MD is close by with good riding but the place is huge. I'd recommend riding with someone who knows the place if you can just because of the size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    hey formula4speed, I am also in Newark, great to see someone for my areas here too. I did see the bike shop you mentioned name come up when I googled local bike shop. I will go and check them out, but to keep cost down I am thinking of buying online, in that case should I even go there?
    Do the bike shops charge you for repairs and maintenance, since I don't have the tools or the knowledge on how to do it. I have heard that if you buy a bike from REI, you can take it back there fro maintenance etc. Is it the same with the bike shop you recommended.

I think whiteclay creek is close enough, although being so new I was going to go to the Glasgow park first and ride there, before I go into the real trails, especially on my own.

Which bike do you have and what would you recommend for a beginner. I would use it occasionally, mostly with my family, riding in parks etc, but I do like the idea of the bike being capable enough to take to the trails if I wanted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sounds like you are new to the sport, in which case I'd really recommend buying local, if you want to save money look around to see if you can get a deal on something for last years model. A lot of times the only difference will be the paint scheme and you can get 20% just because the shops need to make space. It's hugely important to get a bike that fits you right, unless you are knowledgeable about bike geometry it's so much easier to do in person when you can actually get on the bike. Any decent bike shop will help you get the right size frame and get the basic fit setup for you.

If you buy locally (I've bought bikes from 4 or 5 local shops around here) you can generally expect the first tune up for free. After that expect to pay for any significant service, sometimes if it's super simple and you are friendly someone will hook you up for free. They will give you a price up front and you can shop it around if you want to. To the best of my knowledge REI works the same way, I haven't bought a bike there but I am a member there and shop there frequently. They are friendly and have good service in general so if they have something you like it's probably fine.

Glasgow park is paved and can be ridden on any bike, do yourself a favor and get a bell for Glasgow park because of the crowds there. For the local trails any decent hardtail will be fine, you'll see everything from $500 beginner bikes to $5,000 wonder bikes out there. What you get will largely depend on your budget and whatever bike feels the best when you test ride.

Join the Trailspinners for $30 something a year and they have clinics to teach basic MTB skills. Best investment you can make is learning how to ride, plus the money goes to maintaining the trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've had good experiences with all of the local shops. Bikeline, Henry's and Wooden Wheels. All will have sales coming up for spring in March.

Sounds like you want an entry level hardtail.

Depending on where you live, there are trails heading right out of Newark off of Creek Rd, and access to White Clay fair Hill Middle Run and Iron Hill. Once you have a bike, riding and getting lost for a while are part of the fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just a heads up Wooden Wheels is having their seasonal sale this weekend, Friday through Sunday (3/10 -3/12).

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thanks for the heads up. I will go check it out, although will be clueless as to what I would want.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just let them know what and where you plan to ride and how much you have to spend, they will point you in the right direction. Everyone I've talked to there rides this area and can give you a good idea of what you need. Jump on a few bikes and see what feels best.

mtbr member
    Since it hasn't been mentioned, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not, at least visit, Garrison's up in Wilmington/Greenville. They have great bikes and TOP NOTCH service.

As for riding, I often say: I ride a Brandywine to get better and ride at White Clay to have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Since it hasn't been mentioned, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not, at least visit, Garrison's up in Wilmington/Greenville. They have great bikes and TOP NOTCH service.

As for riding, I often say: I ride a Brandywine to get better and ride at White Clay to have fun!
    This x10

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm a garrison's customer and have been buying from him since 95. Great guy and so is everyone else in his shop. I work in newark and ride white clay. If your that green to the scene then local is the way to go. You can gain so much knowledge from a local shop in regards to trails and bike maintenance.

Any time your up for a ride post it here and people will let you know the details. Trails should be drying up now and it's getting perfect to ride. I'm always up for ride to show people around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by schlava View Post
    I'm a garrison's customer and have been buying from him since 95. Great guy and so is everyone else in his shop. I work in newark and ride white clay. If your that green to the scene then local is the way to go. You can gain so much knowledge from a local shop in regards to trails and bike maintenance.

Any time your up for a ride post it here and people will let you know the details. Trails should be drying up now and it's getting perfect to ride. I'm always up for ride to show people around.
    Watch out for this guy. I went riding with him once. Guy is blasting trails in a spandex bib with no helmet on a Huffy Trailmaster. He kept trying to pop wheelies every five minutes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Garrison's is awesome for sure, top notch service and gear, I only failed to mention them because the OP is in Newark. Spoiled with choices around here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Any places to rent a bike? I'm at Dover for two weeks and would like to run up to Brandywine while I'm here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I was just in Brandywine Bike’s in Branmar Plaza. They have some nice Demo bikes. I saw a couple of Giant Trances and a Kona Big Honzo. They said $50 if you return it the same day and $75 if you keep it overnight. Let me know if you need help on where to park and where to ride at Brandywine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Awesome, thank you. I couldn't find any info on their website about demos. Where to park would be a big help too. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Park behind the Courtyard Marriot Brandywine. https://www.trailforks.com/poi/2642/
    Hopefully that link works. You can access the trails from there and head towards Brandywine Creek trails or the First State (Old Woodlawn) trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks again. If you ever make it to MN let me know and I can return the favor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpilot View Post
    Park behind the Courtyard Marriot Brandywine. https://www.trailforks.com/poi/2642/
    Hopefully that link works. You can access the trails from there and head towards Brandywine Creek trails or the First State (Old Woodlawn) trails.
    Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Brandywine Creek State Park Map and it only shows two trails for Mountain Bikes. I thought Brandywine was supposed to have a ton of trails, but it looks like the majority of them are for hiking. Is that correct or is the map out of date?
    2020 Ibis Ripley (Incoming)

2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jn24uk View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Brandywine Creek State Park Map and it only shows two trails for Mountain Bikes. I thought Brandywine was supposed to have a ton of trails, but it looks like the majority of them are for hiking. Is that correct or is the map out of date?
    I just went to the website and I'd say the Trailforks one is pretty accurate. There are, however, a bunch of "offshoots" that you can take off the main trails...most of them were created by the endur-bros and have some jumps, drops, and ledges.

I'd also say that most stuff north of Ramsey Road is longer/faster/smoother. Everything south is ROCKY...and rocky.

Just poke around...Brandywine has some pretty cool stuff.

mtbr member
    +1 for Garrisons...they have a Santa Cruz Demo day this Sunday, June 3rd. If you are looking for a HT that Chameleon looks sweet-runs both 29ers and 27.5 plus.
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I just went to the website and I'd say the Trailforks one is pretty accurate. There are, however, a bunch of "offshoots" that you can take off the main trails...most of them were created by the endur-bros and have some jumps, drops, and ledges.

I'd also say that most stuff north of Ramsey Road is longer/faster/smoother. Everything south is ROCKY...and rocky.

Just poke around...Brandywine has some pretty cool stuff.
    I've been riding Brandywine for thirty years and can still get lost out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Garrisons is my home shop, it literally sits a half mile from my office one way and my house the other. They have stellar service and are hands down the best shop in the area. I've also recently built a relationship with Bikeline Of Middletown, because they are a Specialized dealer and have nothing but great things to say about them. Both great, successsful, busy local bike shops.