Another Hot Summer Blue Ridge Ride- Mtbr.com
    CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Another Hot Summer Blue Ridge Ride

A few weeks ago me and some buds did a Blue Ridge back country ride. Started near Montvale.

Rode up to the parkway on Bobletts Gap road. It is really a pretty technical jeep trail.

I think the climb was 3 – 4 miles, we were returning this way so I was looking forward to the downhill.
    Bobletts Gap

Off the west side of the Blue Ridge

About a mile downhill to hook onto the Glenwood Horse Trail
    The Mineshaft section of the GHT starts of with 1/8 mile of one of the steepest HAB sections around.

Once past the grunt, a sweet 6 milish section of old mining road awaits.

Lots of sticks from Dereckto, I don’t know how we didn’t loose a derailuer from one of our 4 bikes.

Some of the old iron mining pits from the turn of the century, 1900’s that is.

Just an occasional view this time of year

A piece of rail, must have been some type of mining cart

The trail rolls along a contour for 4 miles or so before it starts a technical descent

The tree in the background we took out with a hand saw. There was very little new blowdown from wind storm except for sticks.
    Also seemed like a good spot for a break before the descent.

And we are off

The new sign in the Pico Road trailhead parking lot near Buchanan. It has just as much useful information as the old sign they tore down.

On down Pico road and a loop around to Chair Rock – Bobletts Gap road for the last climb of the day.

It is a jeep road climb

Of course if you let vehicles in, some hillbilly will find a place to dunp their trash

Still a pretty nice climb

Passing the AT at the top.

Glad I did not find this the hard way

Back down Bobletts Gap on the Bedford county side for a fast fun final downhill.

The crew

I am the only one left with “Baby Wheels”

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the post and the pics!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    You're welcome Trail6. Taking pictures allows the old guy to stop more.

This old guy anyway, we are all post 50, one of the guys is 60.

spooge is gone!
    Im jealous. Your always out on an adventure Who maintains all these trails cause they always look to be in good shape
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cacapon View Post
    Im jealous. Your always out on an adventure Who maintains all these trails cause they always look to be in good shape
    Forest Service does a little, horse folks a little, mountain bikers a little more. Trails are in pretty good shape but could use some more love, always rolling over smaller stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm curious to see your route on a map...did you ride down spec mine?

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    I'm curious to see your route on a map...did you ride down spec mine?
    We did not ride Spec Mines on this loop. We started at the bottom of the map at a private residence, blue line is the route.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Love the new sign. Btw, I still roll 26er & Santa Cruz. Ain't no shame.
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fleetwood View Post
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Love the new sign. Btw, I still roll 26er & Santa Cruz. Ain't no shame.
    Hehe - theres a few of us left.

The sign there and at the parking lot on the same horse trail on the other side at Day Creek has always been a pet peeve for me. No map, no useful information regarding the trail whatsoever. They should always have a topo map for the trail and surrounding area. The Glenwood Horse Trail is underutilized because it is poorly marked and poorly mapped.

The new signs at Dragons Back however are excellent

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fleetwood View Post
    Btw, I still roll 26er & Santa Cruz. Ain't no shame.
    +1 on that brother!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I really enjoy your posts CCR. Forest Service rides through seldom used trails are what I did in Florida before moving here. Kids have kept me out of the woods for the last few years, but wanting to get back more. The Cove is nice ridding, just a little redundant, and not much adventure. So... Thanks.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the comments CrampandGoSlow. You get ready to ride some national forest land of perpetual fun and torture there is a dozen or so of us that ride that stuff pretty regular - PM me or post up.

I've always wanted to ride some national forest in Florida. Digging around I think I could only find one trail in the Ocala National Forest formally open to bikes. Seems like on the forums that most don't ride the national forest there, they all ride Santos, Markham, Alafia. Kind of like here I guess.

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    Awesome ride and pics! I need to get up there and ride with you guys. Would it be ok if a slow rider from Danville tagged along?
    2018 YT Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Doedrums I can out slow the best of em. PM me if you want to hook up. I am going to be busy with trail work and NMans race til October 7, but after that.......

Members who have read this thread: 0