Alternative to the muddy trails this weekend- Mtbr.com
    I am the owl

Idea! Alternative to the muddy trails this weekend

With nice weather forecasted for the weekend, we are all jonesing to ride our bikes. Let's face it, we all love the dirt, that's why we are on this forum. Unfortunately it's going to be a muddy mess on the trails this weekend, so how do you get your dirt fix?

How about some dirt road action? It turns road biking into an adventure. Skinny tires, high speeds, loose conditions, stream fords, low traffic and scenic woods riding while not tearing up the trails. Anything from your standard road bike to a cyclocross bike (my personal choice) to a mountain bike w/ some slicks or semi-slicks will do the trick. There's an ongoing project called the Dirt Road Database that has begun to catalog a lot of the dirt roads in the area on Google Maps. This is a great resource to start mapping a route. In MD it covers Frederick County as well as parts of Carroll, Montgomery and Washington counties. In VA there's a lot of great stuff in the northern and northwestern area that has been mapped.

I've got a bunch of these routes posted at Bikely.com at this link. Look for ones with "1903" in the name, descriptions that include the word "gravel" or ones tagged with "rough" or "off road". Quite a few have cue sheets as well. If the route starts in Frederick, it rolls from my house but nearby is the North Frederick Elementary school where you can park and pick up the routes easily.

It's great to see so many people on here realize that mud riding in these parts destroys our trails and means more time repairing trails instead of time spent building new trails. Keep educating your friends, a lot of people just don't realize the damage that gets done but once they do they spread the word too and it helps keep the trails in good shape for everyone.

Last edited by riderx; 03-06-2009 at 07:06 PM.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Good stuff . Thanks for the info and the alternative to the muddy trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0