An adventure ~ Davis Thomas 93E- Mtbr.com
    Thank a Soldier Today

An adventure ~ Davis Thomas 93E

Just wanted to share a story.

I ventured up to Thomas - Davis, WV for the first time yesterday after reading here and speaking with friends about all the fantastic rides in that area.

I went up to Blackwater Falls State Park first but with only a few trails allowing bicyclists, I decided to head into the town of Davis to get recommendations and a map.

I stopped by the Blackwater Bike shop meeting Matt (sorry, last name escapes me). Matt gave me a nice map, recommending the Cannaan Valley trail system near by (out past the Shop and Save grocery). Off I go...

The trails were well maintained and marked pretty well. I started in and around the middle of the map area with the intent to hit the "XX" expert/intermediate marked trails on the far right of the map (moving counterclockwise if you are familiar).

For awhile, I did pretty good. Manageable technical terrain with some great scenery along the way. I made it partly around the large XX loop where the "moon rocks" were (if you haven't rode this before, the moon rocks was pretty awesome. You must find the right line or your walking), but somewhere past there and a swamp I went through, I lost the trail.

Now, I think I was going the reverse direction of what was intended for the trail. The trail markers were red/orange diamonds but I would only catch those when I looked behind me. No problem I thought because in large, the trail was obvious. The trail also seemed to be marked with orange/pink ribbon (tied on tree limbs). I eventually lost track of the diamonds and mistakenly, I began to follow the ribbons almost solely (while looking for diamonds but none to be found). I kept going, no stress/worries, because I knew I could easily back track.

So, finally I came to a highway. At the bottom of the dirt road I was traveling to the highway, I see that I somehow ventured into a membership only hunters club reservation. A couple of vehicles were at a parallel gravel road so I rode over to ask which direction on the road would get me back to Davis. But instead of a friendly greeting, the men in the vehicles jumped out the truck asking me in a not so friendly manner "Do you have membership to be on this land (I wanted to say yea because I was obviously there - geared for hunting, lol). They obviously seen me come down over the hill. I stated I had no intent to ride on their land and was simply lost looking for directions back to Davis. With directions, off I go down the highway..

I was about 4 miles down 93E when I ran into the hunters. Down the highway, I ran into the Davis Welcome / Thomas Welcome sign (same sign, back to back Welcomes).

Back to Davis, all is well. I stopped back to the bike shop hoping to share my ride story with Matt and to find out how I lost my way but the shop was closed by the time I got back.

Next time, I hope to meet up with some local folks and get a guided tour of the great rides in area.

One of the things I love best about mountain biking is I always have a new adventure and story to share every time I go. Love this sport!

I will post pictures later ~ you gotta see the moon rocks!

"Named must your fear be before banish it you can." -Yoda
    08 GF X-Cal
    08 GF Superfly (A Fisher called Wanda Su)

song of the saw-whet owl
    clockwise is your friend on that "expert" loop going to moonrock and hoodoo rock. also keep an eye out for red/orange/pink tape hanging from trees if you think you have lost the trail. damn now im jonsin' to go ride it!
    just another piece of chaga

Because I am !
    Sorry you got lost on that outer loop. That's probably the toughest portion to find your
    way through. Once you crossed the stream at the bottom of Moonrocks ( the direction
    you were traveling ) keep going to the top of the hill ( Mt. Strip Mine ). When you see
    the view of the valley below, stay to the left and follow the wide trail down off the hill.
    When you come to another fork in the trail stay left and within 100 yards go left again up
    a slight cinder / coal looking grade ( ribbons marking it ). When you decend off that short
    steep hill you will be back on CVI property and can see the trail well there.

Hope your next visit is more fun. The Moonrock area is habit forming as most who ride it
    find. Post up next time you are going and maybe someone who is in the area often could
    show you around.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

the unvarnished nonsense
    There weren't any shots fired? The guys in the trucks must have been tourists...
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    It's still bow season. He just didn't hear the rounds.
    FrankNbike

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
    Fun Places To Bike In West Virginia

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    At any point during your conversation with the hunters did they tell you, "squeal like a pig boy!?"

Thank a Soldier Today
    Quote Originally Posted by God of Everything
    At any point during your conversation with the hunters did they tell you, "squeal like a pig boy!?"

No, but I didn't stick around to find out.

08 GF X-Cal

mtbr member
    I got all twisted around up there myself and ended up on Rt 93 myself. Thanks for posting your intersting tale and post up some pics!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My son at moonrocks last year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Those are great trails, the first time my we rode them we got caught in a bad thunderstorm just after crossing Hoodoo Rocks.
    With the wind blowing and thunder crashing it didn't take us long to drop down to the road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    was out there this thanksgiving. pedaling was rough going but it was fun. plus with all that snow is falling was well, not that big of a deal! tons of fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Great pics, you can keep the snow biking tho. I have not done that for a while.

mtbr member
    jmhills: Great pictures. I was up at Canaan this week myself. I even brought my "snow bike" - a singlespeed hardtail with homemade studded tires. Unfortunately, I never rallied for a ride! Spent the week building snow forts with my 7 year old, sledding, and skating. That was some snow though! Where are these pictures from - Loop Road area?

Repoman

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    it was some great snow indeed. drove down from romney to do some riding and ended up struggling and not doing too much riding but still pretty good stuff. these were taken with my cell phone and were out on the access road just past the little parking spot by the lindy overlook on the backside of blackwater. ive ridden this trail system many times but still dont know what the names of them are. ive got a few more pics i could put.

two good things about the riding in snow: 1. you fall and its really no big deal at all. i fell a few times and it actually felt nice 2. when youre done and went to take a rest, get off the bike and itll hold itself up. no need to lean it against something, thats what the snow is for.

i have a traditional day after thanksgiving ride every year. last year was cold and rainy/ snow. this year was the first one with crazy deep snow. going to be a good snowboarding season

mtbr member
    Last year I did a post-Thanksgiving day ride at Canaan. It was 6 degrees F with no wind. Coldest weather I've ever ridden in. My Camelbak froze but I was able to stay warm and dry otherwise thanks to my Lake winter boots and many layers. I did a little snow riding in NVA last year too that got me hooked.

Before we left for Canaan this trip, I studded out an old tire with sheet metal screws. I ended up bagging the bike and enjoyed all the great snow doing other winter activities with my non-riding family. I brought all my riding gear home from Canaan on Sunday - officially putting an end to my WV MTB season. Still, I'm eager to try my home-made studded tire if we get some decent snow here in Fairfax this winter.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Repo

mtbr member
    Never had much fun ridin' in the snow....looks like you did!

song of the saw-whet owl
    how bout one of these for snow riding?!

https://www.ktrakcycle.com/index.html
    just another piece of chaga

mtbr member

Biking and hunters

Not much biking news lately so I thought I'd post this.

I always try to stay out of the woods the first couple weeks of rifle season.
    Thought it would just be safer to stay at home.
    I guess I'll have to rethink that.
    Here's what I found laying in the tub two weeks ago:

Inside view of the Outside Wall:

Here's some more pics:
    https://wvbike.org/extras/tub/index.html

The house is just a couple blocks from downtown Morgantown.

Might just be safer in the woods.
    FrankNbike

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Where is there to hunt close to your home? I can't imagine there would be anywhere safe to shoot near there. I think with a little bit of looking around you could find out who fired that. People usually frequent the same hunting area, I would find out and have someone put in jail for that. There could have very easily been someone in the tub when that happened

mtbr member
    Actually there is nowhere close to the house where you can hunt. The trajectory was easy to plot using the outside hole and inside divot. It lines up with the street that passes by the house.
    Looks like some d*ckhead popped off a round as he was driving by. Police said it looked like a handgun round. Not a rifle round.
    And depending on the direction you were facing in the tub/shower it was right at nut level (or worse).
    FrankNbike

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    So who is it that don't like you?

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Damn, that's scary. Glad you're OK.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Looking like snow starting tomorrow. If not anyone want to ride the CVI trails next week?

mtbr member
    Funny, that's the first thing the cop asked.
    "Got any ex-girlfriends?"
    FrankNbike

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankNbike
    Funny, that's the first thing the cop asked.
    "Got any ex-girlfriends?"
    That was the first thing I thought of
    That or does your girlfriend have an ex-husband?

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankNbike
    Police said it looked like a handgun round. Not a rifle round.
    I wouldn't point to hunters for that one either. Agree with the Police on that
    one, that's definately a handgun bullet. The open bullet base tells that. Only
    a few handgun bullet designs have the open base like that one. The drive by
    sounds more like it. I'd be wondering along the same lines ??? Who ???
    We can only hope the gun blows up in that idiots face next time or he at least
    acidentally shoots his nuts off.

Sorry to see the damage to your house but thankful none of you were there to
    make it worse.

Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    Thanks.
    I did all the tile work myself so I have a few spares to fix it with.
    Funny thing is I can guarantee that when I was doing the work I never once thought
    "I should keep some spares tiles to fix THE BULLET HOLES!" ;-)
    FrankNbike

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG

Thank a Soldier Today
    Eh, sorry its taken so long to post pictures. Better late than never I suppose.

Mostly Moonrocks..

http://picasaweb.google.com/Gun5ling...eat=directlink

Does anyone know if CVI is going to be the location of the WVMBA #7 WV State Mountain Bike Championship?

08 GF X-Cal

Members who have read this thread: 0