Abandoned bleachers, Little Creek Park, WV- Mtbr.com
    magaw country
    Nov 2007

Abandoned bleachers, Little Creek Park, WV

A buddy and I went riding at little creek park in South Charleston yesterday. On a section of trail, right after crossing the road at the top of the mountain. We noticed an old set of bleachers that had been built in the woods, over looking the hill side. The trail runs right in front of them and there is a concrete slab that you actualy pass over , while riding the trail. It just seemed strange to me, because they are in the middle of the woods and obviously havent been used in many years. Just wondering if anyone might know what they were used for, back in thier day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Not that I can help you, but I love finding stuff like that out in the woods. Old agricultural or mining equiptment, even pre 1950's cars. Because so much of the northeast is second growth forest, it is often hard to imaging how the stuff got where it is. Of course, 80 years ago alot of these places were totally clear cut.

magaw country
    Nov 2007
    Yea, I love finding things like that too. That same day we found what was left of an old volkswagon. And in this same park (Little Creek) there is supposed to be remenants of an old saw mill, but we did'nt make it that far. Another great place for stuff like that is Mount Wood park in Parkersburg Wv. There were all of these, what looked to be five foot diameter whiskey barrels, stationed throughout the trail. Probably twenty or so, that we seen. So we came upon some locals there riding and asked about them. They said that is was part of an oil drilling operation back in the late eighttenn hundreds, around the turn of the century. It was amazing how well the wood had been preserved. I guess, because of years and years of being soaked with oil.

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by magawcountry
    Yea, I love finding things like that too. Another great place for stuff like that is Mount Wood park in Parkersburg Wv. There were all of these, what looked to be five foot diameter whiskey barrels, stationed throughout the trail. Probably twenty or so, that we seen. So we came upon some locals there riding and asked about them. They said that is was part of an oil drilling operation back in the late eighttenn hundreds, around the turn of the century. It was amazing how well the wood had been preserved. I guess, because of years and years of being soaked with oil.
    Can't help with the bleachers either, however noticed your info about the old oil tanks in
    Mountwood. If you look in a few places in Mountwood you can still find the remains of
    the big wheels and cables that ran several wells at the same time by cable and pulley.
    Also, here is one of my favorite finds and it is at Mountwood Park, on Haystack Trail to
    say the least. Have a great new year !

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

Jun 2008
    The bleachers and concrete pad are from an old ampitheater. My family home is within a short walking distance of the park, and when I was a kid, we could hear music and singing from local acts that played up there.

TT

Jun 2008

Also in Little Creek Park

I was on a path in LCP last weekend that I hadn't been on in over 30 years. I came across an ancient shelter I had forgotten about. The shelter is a long way from the old parking area, right at the end of a ridge before it drops off to a steep trail. Way cool location, but a long way to carry picnic supplies!

TT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aug 2006
    where in s.charleston is little cr. park? I usually ride kanawha park but have only been a couple of times this year. are the trails as good as kanawha and how many miles is there ?Thanks Butch

Jun 2008
    I've never ridden Kanawha State Forest, so I'm not qualified to compare the two. As a casual biker, I can tell you that some of the trails at Little Creek are challenging for me, especially the canyon rim trails. I find the trails at the bottom of the canyon to be easier. All of the trails have wet spots, even in mid-summer. There are about 15 miles of trails.

To get to Little Creek, take the McCorkle Ave exit off I-64. From McCorkle Ave, turn onto Jefferson Road like you're going to Southridge (Corridor G). From Jefferson, turn right at the stoplight onto Kanawha Turnpike, go a mile, and turn left at the bus garage onto Spring Hill Avenue. The entrance to LCP is about 1/2 mile from there. Another thread has a picture of the park maps posted at the trailheads.

TT

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    LIttle creek is fun. The trails are more rolling with a lot less climbing than KSF. There are really no technical downhills like Black Bear or Tea Berry. Like Turley said there are about 15 miles of trails. Its a nice change from KSF and generally less trail traffic.

The trails have the normal WV rocks & roots, they can be pretty fast when they dry up.

mtbr member
    Did some body say Black Bear Mountain Bike Trail? Yum. Just rolled that two Fridays ago. My only regret is that it is to short. It is like a mini Snowshoe. I visit the Charleston are about twice a summer and try to hit KSF each time. I was wondering about Little Creek Park for next time.
    Life, liberty and the pursuit of singletrack.

Members who have read this thread: 0