70 degrees 12/27/08 - Had to ride (a few pics)- Mtbr.com
    Because I am !

70 degrees 12/27/08 - Had to ride (a few pics)

When we saw the weather forcast for today we couldn't contain the joy. Due to other
    interests and work it's been over a month since we've been able to get out on the trails
    so it was time to disappear for a while. Since the Mountwood Trails are still closed to
    deer hunting we drove just a little farther to North Bend State Park and enjoyed an
    awesome afternoon of riding.

To my surprise the trails were not very muddy except in a couple spots. However the
    rocks and roots were extremely slippery making it a day full of laughs and near crashes.

We began our ride down near the ampatheater, rode up to the cabins, made our way
    down past Castle Rocks, the lake overlook, across the spillway, Castle Rock spur
    Trail, used the access rd. below the dam as a connector to Railroad Grade. We took
    Railroad Grade to the campground and then up Hobbs Cemetary Trail for a ways then
    off to 10 Acre Trail, then back around and took the Nature Trail loop back to the truck.

Hope everyone got out on the trails on such and awesome December day.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the pics ODN. Glad to see your wheels are still rolling. Scotty looks pretty attached to the 29er. Are you going to get to ride it anymore?

It was nice here yesterday too. It felt good to get out in shorts and t-shirt..

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider
    Scotty looks pretty attached to the 29er. Are you going to get to ride it anymore?

Ooohh Yes ! He's just lucky his bike is in the shop for new cables and I felt generous

I didn't really care what bike I rode, just so I got out there !

ODN

spooge is gone!
    Trail looked like it was in great shape. Hope we have a few more of these days in the coming weeks. I was only able to get quick spin around neighborhood, had to watch Eers wipe out UNC and then blowout OSU.
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by spooge
    Trail looked like it was in great shape. Hope we have a few more of these days in the coming weeks.
    They were pretty good. The rocks, roots and sticks were extremely slippery and there
    were a couple sloppy spots where we took the road to avoid them but most of the ride
    was great. If you haven't ridden at North Bend you owe it to yourself to check it out.
    Next time we go over that way I'll give you a buzz. We'd be glad to show you around
    over there. However, after tomorrow, we can again ride at Mountwood anytime of the
    week since all the deer gun seasons are over .

Glad to see those 'ER's Get R done, but the riding was more enjoyable IMHO .

ODN

mtbr member
    WOW that place looks like a lot of fun...North Bend??? Where is that??? I live in Baltimore and do most of my riding at Patapsco, Gambrills (or it may be Gambrill) it's the one by Frederick Maryland (I have been confused)...then all points north too...would like to try that area...we were at Gambrill state park today, the rocks and roots there were pretty "snotty" too...heck last week with snow/ice was easier than today, but OH the temps were great....
    Ed

Not sure what to type?
    Glad you were able to get out and ride.
    I got out into the forest as well, however I was hiking instead of biking.
    Hiked Right Fork and Gauley Mtn. Trail on Christmas Eve and then Seneca Rocks on Saturday.
    Yeah Yeah, I know I should have been biking but the girlfriend doesn't have a bike yet.
    We'll get her one this spring.
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    WOW that place looks like a lot of fun...North Bend??? Where is that??? I live in Baltimore and do most of my riding at Patapsco, Gambrills (or it may be Gambrill) it's the one by Frederick Maryland (I have been confused)...then all points north too...would like to try that area...we were at Gambrill state park today, the rocks and roots there were pretty "snotty" too...heck last week with snow/ice was easier than today, but OH the temps were great....
    Ed
    Hey cableguy46, sorry I didn't mention the state when I mentioned the park. North Bend
    State Park is located about 25 miles east of Parkersburg, WV near the little town of
    Harrisville, WV. They do have some awesome singletrack that many people do not know
    about so it's like a hidden treasure. Usually all you hear about is their 75 mile long North
    Bend Rail Trail which is part of the park as well. I'm pretty sure there is about 20 or more
    miles of singletrack in the park and several loops can be made using some of the roads
    to connect them. If you ever get clear over here or are traveling through and want to get in
    a couple rides be sure to shoot me a PM. If available, I'd be glad to show you some of
    the trails there and at Mountwood Park, which is about 10 miles west of North Bend back
    toward Parkersburg. Mountwood is the most used and best trail system over in this area. Over 30 miles of trails there with most of them awesome, well maintained
    singletrack. May be worth a day or two in the area . There are other trail systems
    nearby as well like the Marietta OH city trails and Wayne National Forest both across
    the river from Parkersburg.

ODN

mtbr member
    Sounds very nice...have to add that to my list of trails for this spring/summer...thanks much and I'll keep ya posted.

Ed

Nostralpicas
    Glad to see you guys are happy healthy and riding,I hope the new year brings you more of the same.The weather up this way has been very rider friendly also.
    All work and no play makes "and all no work play"

song of the saw-whet owl
    if you woulda come to davis/canaan you coulda rode in some freshly thawed mud! riding temps for sure... just not rider friendly after 70" of snow followed by 4" of rain to flood everything then thawing. turns back to winter in a day or so tho.

altho you missed the Tucker County Trails benefit at hellbender burritos!! raised almost a grand i think for takin care of your favorite CVI/Vandalia and state park trails up in davis
    just another piece of chaga

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnoob
    if you woulda come to davis/canaan you coulda rode in some freshly thawed mud! riding temps for sure... just not rider friendly after 70" of snow followed by 4" of rain to flood everything then thawing. turns back to winter in a day or so tho.

altho you missed the Tucker County Trails benefit at hellbender burritos!! raised almost a grand i think for takin care of your favorite CVI/Vandalia and state park trails up in davis
    Dude ! I missed out on some fresh Blackwater Mud ?

Oh well, I was quite happy on the trails we were on. They were slick enough and not
    once did I have to dismount my bike in axle deep mud..

Now as for missing the benefit, that is bad... Find out to whom donations may be made
    and I'll be sure to get a few more funds that way. Malibu (peeler) and I plan on making
    our way up there to help with some trail work also. I advised Roger and Matt to be sure
    and post something on the WVMBA forums when they plan a work day or two. A
    weekend would be great. That would give me a good reason to stay the night.

Hope to see ya soon good friend. Have a safe and happy New Year. See ya soon.

ODN

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecklerboy
    Glad you were able to get out and ride.
    I got out into the forest as well, however I was hiking instead of biking.
    Hiked Right Fork and Gauley Mtn. Trail on Christmas Eve and then Seneca Rocks on Saturday.
    Awesome, nothing wrong with hiking. Did alot of that the last month or so (hunting) of
    course. Are you ready to take a hike with a couple chain saws and tools out Kennison
    Mtn.? We need to do that as soon as the weather has settled a bit up there.

but the girlfriend doesn't have a bike yet. We'll get her one this
    spring.
    Just plain AWESOME HB.. You'll have to bring her down this way and let her start
    out on some of the best training trails in the state ( Mountwood Park ). What did she
    think of Right Fork / Gauley, etc.? I'm sure you let her know you like to ride those...

ODN

Not sure what to type?
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoornut
    Awesome, nothing wrong with hiking. Did alot of that the last month or so (hunting) of
    course. Are you ready to take a hike with a couple chain saws and tools out Kennison
    Mtn.? We need to do that as soon as the weather has settled a bit up there.

Just plain AWESOME HB.. You'll have to bring her down this way and let her start
    out on some of the best training trails in the state ( Mountwood Park ). What did she
    think of Right Fork / Gauley, etc.? I'm sure you let her know you like to ride those...

ODN
    Just say when and we'll hike back into Kennison and clear some trees. I love that trails and would love to ride the whole thing again.

The GF liked Right Fork and Gauley Mtn. Said she would give anything a try after she hones her skill alittle. I think I'll start her off on Cow Pasture then move up to Props Run.
    If you know anyone that has a bike for sale around $300 let me know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Damn, I thought North Bend was a Rails-Trails system. A couple of those pics, I would've almost thought were taken in Kanawha!

My Grandparents use to live in Harrisville. Small little town. My grandpa had to come and get me from the local sherrif for underage drinking way back when!

Great Pics! I just might have to make a trip there sometime.

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    A couple of those pics, I would've almost thought were taken in Kanawha! Great Pics! I just might have to make a trip there sometime.
    Yea C&B, the singletrack there is pretty sweet. In that place where Malibu is riding under
    the overhang you actually have to ride through a cave like section (Hole in the rock). See
    this older picture of him going into it and another older pic of some friends coming out of
    it. A couple more older pics show some neat areas. Nice camping there as well. You
    could camp there and ride there, Mountwood, Marietta trails, etc. We could keep you
    riding for a few days without much travel.

There are a couple places with some awesome fast downhill singletrack as well. Of
    course any time you got downhill you gotta climb up there

ODN

the unvarnished nonsense
    If you know anyone that has a bike for sale around $300 let me know.
    Size?
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Not sure what to type?
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    Size?
    She's 5"-8" so a medium (18") should fit.

Members who have read this thread: 0