5-7 Day Epic in Northern WV- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

5-7 Day Epic in Northern WV

Hey all,

I've been riding for a little under a year now and am an avid up then down all-mountain rider. I was hoping to take a week spring (or summer) vacation to go mtb camping in West Virginia. Unfortunately, as a native Marylander, I have absolutely no clue where to start.

I'm looking for singletrack (though i'll endure some fire roads if necessary). I just want an overall FUN ride that'll last me 100 miles.

Has anyone done this before? If so, please help me out. And if this thread already exists and I haven't found it, please redirect me.

Thanks so much,
    swk

another bozo on the bus
    I have always wanted to do a camping trip along the North Fork. Far from a weeks worth, but it would be amazing to overnight up on those cliffs. Stokesville, Douthat, Stokesville (SDS) route in Va is around 150 miles roundtrip and sounds like the type of riding you are looking for. Do a search for it here as I know someone posted GPS tracks from last years ride.

spooge is gone!
    Not sure of dates yet. But your welcome to join in the Slatyfork Shuffle this year. A super fun group. Camping, beer and biking in Pocahontas County, WV. Just keep an eye for the posts in the coming weeks.
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That'd be awesome. I'll definitely keep a weather eye

Hermit
    My new mapping project is just about what you're describing - a Trans Monongahela NF mtb route.

I'm just getting info together, and will definitely need some road trip time down there this summer - but I do have a pretty good overview of what's available.

A lot of the distance can be done on singletrack or forest service roads, but there are places where you'd have to use some paved roads for short distances. Wilderness areas and private land also interrupts the continuity of the route.

But...

There's the Blackwater Canyon ride up north, with the Canaan Mountain trails just a bit south. The trails east of Davis can connect up with the Roaring Plains trails. I'm looking for a way south from the top of Mount Porte Crayon to hook up with the downhill end of the IMBA epic leading up Seneca Creek to Spruce Knob. There are connections leading further south, with some more great stuff along the way (Slatyfork etc) and there are possibilities of using a couple of railtrail sections to tie stuff together. I'm also curious as to how much of the Allegheny Trail is rideable (that's one of the main things to research this summer).

I don't have my outline map on this computer so I'm not really good on the specifics right now. But it really looks doable - with alternate routes that could be suitable for riders of different skill/fitness levels. I'm pretty psyched about the project and can hardly wait for the end of my current project so that I can work on getting this together.

It would be even cooler if it could continue on south, through the Washington & Jefferson NF, then maybe into N,C....

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Members who have read this thread: 0