4 day trip in Virginia- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

4 day trip in Virginia

I'll have 3-4 days to spend in Virginia (driving up from NC). I've heard great things about Roanoke so would like to check that out. I love some of the rock scramble hikes like Devil's Marble Yard. I also enjoy water sports - kayaking and SUP. Will be looking to camp most nights.

Any recommendations for places to go and things to do?

WillWorkForTrail
    Stokesville camp ground. 🤘🏻

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    For rock scramble hikes you cannot beat Old Rag in Shenandoah National Park without going out west or up into New England. It is truly unlike anything else in our area.

For riding, be sure to hit Carvin's Cove if you're in Roanoke.

As mentioned, Stokesville Campground is a great place to stay with tons of trails right out of camp. While in that area I'd recommend Massanutten's Western Slope as well.

Virginia is big and has A LOT to do in terms of outdoor activities... Keep us posted as to what areas you'll be in and we can recommend more specifics. If I had four days in VA I'd probably do two days in Roanoke (ride Carvin's and Dragon's Back, maybe head out to Smith Mountain Lake for some water stuff, check out the awesome food/beer downtown) and two days in Harrisonburg (too much riding to name, Shenandoah River nearby for floating, tons of hiking, decent downtown but nothing like Roanoke).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cool, thanks for the replies. I actually won't have the time off until summer, but figure I could start planning and getting stoked about a trip now.

I'm also considering a trip out West instead of VA. I love the Moab, OR, CA and I'm not sure how VA compares, but VA would be a lot easier and cheaper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    While in that area I'd recommend Massanutten's Western Slope as well.

... two days in Harrisonburg...
    Without wanting to thread-jack, any more specific info on riding around Massanutten or specific loops in western slope? Will be in Massanutten for 5 days over kids spring break and wife is actually encouraging me to bring my bike.

Plan to hit western slope and possibly the park if open. Any other areas not too far away I should look into? Want to maximize ride time.

Finally, info on good breweries w bottle or can sales would be greatly appreciated.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    Without wanting to thread-jack, any more specific info on riding around Massanutten or specific loops in western slope? Will be in Massanutten for 5 days over kids spring break and wife is actually encouraging me to bring my bike.

Plan to hit western slope and possibly the park if open. Any other areas not too far away I should look into? Want to maximize ride time.

Finally, info on good breweries w bottle or can sales would be greatly appreciated.
    Whatís your skill level? If itís high, reddish knob is ~40 minutes from massanutten. Lower, look towards Charlottesville. Preddy creek, maybe the blue ridge school trails.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ^ no worries about thread jacking. The more info the better. I've ridden tons in NC but hardly anything in VA so definitely want to explore more of the state this year.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post

I've only done the enduro race at Massanutten a few times, never gone just to ride. If I did get down there for a day of riding I'd be doing a bunch of climbs up the gravel to do all the descents (especially 1000 hours, which I'd probably do a bunch of runs on) plus a ride out the ridge to Kaylor's Knob and down that (amazing) descent.

~35 minutes will get you to Stokesville where you can take your pick of a ton of awesome loops. Narrowback is probably the easiest to put a solid loop on, though Lookout is probably my favorite trail there - you can link the two in a loop but it takes a good bit of gravel.

I only make a few trips there a year and usually stay in the woods so I'm not up on the beer scene too well. Best bet is to stop in Shenandoah Bicycle Co and talk to those guys, I'm sure they can give you intel (as well as sell you a map and pass for Western Slope) on all of that... Especially beer!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Whatís your skill level? If itís high, reddish knob is ~40 minutes from massanutten. Lower, look towards Charlottesville. Preddy creek, maybe the blue ridge school trails.
    Reddish is so overrated in my opinion. Dowell's, Braley's, Chestnut, Lookout, Buck, Wild Oak... There's a million better descents that don't include climbing up walls every five minutes or require hours of climbing (or over an hour shuffling cars). That said, the bottom of Wolf is super fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you get to the George Washington Nat'l Forest outside of Harrisonburg, the Lookout and Narrowback loops are pretty good. A variety of terrain. Plan on climbing but it is all possible. As for Massanutten, the 1K trail can be ridden uphill. It is technical but can be done. One word of caution, if you go in the middle of heat season, try to get out and ride early, as it gets brutal during the day high up.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thank you all. Not sure how many hours per day I'll be able to get out, so I'll probably hut the nearby stuff. Sounds like 2000 hours and the other western slope trails will be a good place to start. Like the description of it on mtb project!
    Will hit the shop up for a pass and the info on beer.

WillWorkForTrail
    Reddish is so overrated in my opinion. Dowell's, Braley's, Chestnut, Lookout, Buck, Wild Oak... There's a million better descents that don't include climbing up walls every five minutes or require hours of climbing (or over an hour shuffling cars). That said, the bottom of Wolf is super fun.
    No doubt there's a TON of stuff out there that's good. But having ridden a great deal of it, Reddish still sticks out in my mind. Maybe I just have a thing for pain....

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    No doubt there's a TON of stuff out there that's good. But having ridden a great deal of it, Reddish still sticks out in my mind. Maybe I just have a thing for pain....
    It has an 'epic' feel that is definitely cool. I think the lot at the start feeds the hype a lot... But the riding is a bit meh for me, at least until the last couple miles on Wolf.

WillWorkForTrail
    It has an 'epic' feel that is definitely cool. I think the lot at the start feeds the hype a lot... But the riding is a bit meh for me, at least until the last couple miles on Wolf.
    Yeah, fair enough. I suppose having grown up around there, then moved to middle TN where, for all intents and purposes it's flat and mostly non-technical, I like anything that reminds me of home a great deal. But yes, a LOT of trails in the GW will get you that dragging-both-ends-of-your-bar-in-laurel-at-high-speed buzz. There's nothing like it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Cool, thanks for the replies. I actually won't have the time off until summer, but figure I could start planning and getting stoked about a trip now.

I'm also considering a trip out West instead of VA. I love the Moab, OR, CA and I'm not sure how VA compares, but VA would be a lot easier and cheaper.
    In my opinion, VA compares well with the best in the country if you like backcountry singletrack. It is more about long, epic rides than flow/jump trails and rock features to session. Moab is special because of its obviously unique topography, but I like riding in the forested mountains of VA better. I haven't ridden Downieville, but from what I have heard, it sounds like a bigger mountain equivalent of VA. If I were headed west, I would look into that area. The VA suggestions above are all good options. I would also add Douthat State Park. It's a beautiful place with great climbs as well as great descents. Wonderful views too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks again for the info. The weather ended up limiting my riding to one session, but got out for a nice ride at massanutten western slope. Rode the yellow to pink loop up to the summit and down on 2k. Trails were a blast to ride, and I thank any of the Shenandoah mtb people on here for their work there. Am going to try to plan a bike trip w guys to the area to explore more.