2011 Fair Hill Classic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

2011 Fair Hill Classic

All,

I rode the expert course last weekend and it clocked in at 26.1 miles of fast, flowing singletrack with just a short section or two of gravel road. Endurance racers get a bargain with 50 miles of fun + a tee shirt for your $30. All the good stuff is in there: Crackhead Bob, Drunken Sailor, South Park, Five Bridges, Horse Jump, Barney's Trail, Upchuck, Crappy Start + some new connectors and reroutes you are sure to enjoy.

If you do the Fair Hill 50, be sure to shout "Hey" as you pass me (I'm the old guy with a BikeLine jersey and plate #295 .)

The novice race is great for those who want a shorter race to get their feet wet and see what MTB racing is all about. No other MASS race has this category available, so come try it out.

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE !

The 2011 Edition of one of the best races in the Mid-Atlanic is fast approaching. All the info is below or within the links. Last year we had approximately 750 racers. Help us get over the 1,000 mark this year, have a lot of fun, and raise some money to maintain the wonderful trails at Fair Hill!

This Year's Fair Hill Classic will be held on July 10, 2011

To register: http://www.trailspinners.org/fhclassic11/2011FairHillClassicRaceCourseInformation.doc

The Fair Hill Classic is one of the most popular cross-country mountain bike races on the East Coast. The 16th Annual Fair Hill Classic is scheduled for Sunday, July 10 and will be part of the Mid-Atlantic Super Series (MASS). The 2011 course has no laps - just miles and miles of beautiful singletrack in the 5,600-acre Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area near Newark, Delaware.

We have categories for First Time Beginner, Advanced Beginner, Sport and Elite racers of all ages and genders, even single-speeders, as well as the ever-popular Kid’s Race. Even if you don’t participate in the race, come on out to watch the action. We will have lots of viewing areas to set up your easy chair and enjoy the excitement. We have it all! Great trails, fantastic prizes, plenty of excitement, lots of refreshmentsfun for the whole family. You don’t want to miss it!.

Registration opens at 7:00 and will close 30 minutes prior to the start of each race as follows:

Class Start Time
    Endurance (Fair Hill 50) 8:00am
    Sport Class 8:45am
    Elite/Expert 9:45am
    Beginner 11:00 (changed from 10:30)
    Novice (1st time racers) 11:50am (changed from 11:30)
    Kids Race (free) 1:00pm

Registration closes 30 minutes before start of each class.

RACE DETAILS

The 2011 Fair Hill Classic plans are nearly complete and once again we’ve included something for everyone.

The race course has a 3 mile prolog bringing all the racers back to the starting area for a viewing (and photo op) by the spectators. There is a nice balance of single track and double track in the first 5 miles to allow racers to “find their groove” before entering the miles of great single track Fair Hill has to offer. This event is put on entirely by volunteers from the Trail Spinners mountain bike advocacy club and their friends and families. 100% of the race proceeds go into building and maintaining the trail systems in Delaware, Northern Maryland and South East, Pennsylvania. Trail Spinners is an IMBA Chapter Club and, as such, works tirelessly with local land managers to open new, responsible trail systems for mountain bikers to enjoy. We would like to acknowledge the fine support from the Maryland Park district and especially the local park management and employees. Without this support the event could not take place and in fact the trails system would probably not be here and open to cycling. We also wish to thank the other park user groups who give us access to the multi-use trail system for this event and who utilize other parts of the park on race day.

Check us out:
    On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/event.ph...11382255572330
    On the Web: http://www.trailspinners.org
    Last edited by troutboy; 07-07-2011 at 06:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Early forecast looking very good....

Don't miss it!

TS

Smarter Than He Looks
    Final prep and details were hammered out at the Trail Spinners meeting last night. Everything's falling together nicely, guaranteeing another great Classic!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Change in Start Times

From the race director:

I’ve pushed back the start times for MASS Category “Beginner” from 10:30AM to11:00AM. Also changed is the start time for 1st Timer/Novice Category from 11:301AM to 11:50AM Please see the attached pdf for more details. These changes were necessary to avoid conflicts in the last few miles of the race course. Bob

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Prereg ends tonight

337 preregistered so far. They can't all be wrong.

Don't miss out on the cheaper entry - prereg ends tonight at 11:00 PM

TS

Never trust a fart
    See ya there. I'll be working Water Stop #3 with the ladies. WOO HOO!!!!!!

.RJ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Did the sport race today, fun course. Wish I'd known about the several miles of root piles in the middle of the race though, kinda beat me up with a rigid fork. Still had a great time - I'll be back next year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for a great race. The shower at zone 3 was a life saver.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, that was something new this year. We also had a garden hose right at the finish line to cool off with.

No heat-related issues this year, partly due to cooler weather but also due to frequent, well-staffed and well supplied water stops.

TS

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    killer race. have not raced in 4 years.....loved it. loved it. loved it! crowd was chill, course was SPECTACULAR, conditions were PERFECT. I did find it funny to see the XXX's over small obstacles but thats Delaware for you!

great job Trailspinners..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa View Post
    killer race. have not raced in 4 years.....loved it. loved it. loved it! crowd was chill, course was SPECTACULAR, conditions were PERFECT. I did find it funny to see the XXX's over small obstacles but thats Delaware for you!

great job Trailspinners..
    Except you were in Maryland

Glad you enjoyed it!

TS

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    DOH. Well- loved it nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by troutboy View Post
    Except you were in Maryland

Glad you enjoyed it!

TS

mtbr member
    Great event!

When can we expect results to be posted? I split right after my race because I was hungry and sunburnt.

W.M.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    Great event!

When can we expect results to be posted? I split right after my race because I was hungry and sunburnt.
    http://www.midatlantictiming.com/ind...d=167&Itemid=1

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Who were the photographers and can we have some links to their sites? I need a new facebook profile picture.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by carsonp View Post
    Who were the photographers and can we have some links to their sites? I need a new facebook profile picture.
    There might be more later, but this is the only one I know of with photos uploaded already:

http://www.pbase.com/dens/fair_hill_trailspinners

Dennis Smith (with some help from Linda during his race) took these.

TS

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    thanks those were great shots