mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Worth a rebuild?

Hey guys!

New to the forum and new again to the MTB world. I used to ride about 18 years ago 😬 3 times a week at a local park which is now considered the 2nd best park in Florida. I was given a bike which I believe is a 1993 Cannondale m800....all xt components and a manitou answer 3 fork. My kids ages 5 and 9 have started to really enjoy riding so I pulled out my bike for the first time in probably 10 years and took it to the local bike shop to see where I stand. I was told that I needed a new chain, rear cassette new front shock front wheel bearings and the back wheel needed to be straightened. They basically told me to buy a new bike. They recommended the giant talon 3 and the fathom 2. My question is...is my old bike worthless? Should ďiĒ rebuild the suspension and replace the cassette basically investing maybe $150-200 or buy an new bike for $500-$1200. Kids are expensive so the cash is not growing on trees so I figured if I could rebuild the bike to a like new condition is it worth it??

Thanks in advanced!

Here are some pics of the bike
    Worth a rebuild?-e995afd7-047d-4088-a38a-d1ed85554916.jpgWorth a rebuild?-34b4cd6d-cf2f-460f-acb6-a058b7094e17.jpg Worth a rebuild?-fceb01a5-47fa-4f79-84c9-237d688acd3f.jpg

Sneaker man
    Hardest thing to do will be rebuild the forks, not the rebuilding, thats easy, even I can do it, it getting the elastomers, but you should be able to get some, search on here for manitou elastomers, or suspensionforkparts.com.
    I'd say rebuild it, for general duties it'd be cool for punting around on.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I already found the elastomer kit. Itís about $65 with all of the parts to rebuild the shock. Iím just wondering if I should invest the couple hundred dollars into this one or save up and get a new or even a used bike that is a couple years old. I do plan on riding the trails I just donít know if a new bike is going to be that much better. Considering my bike is 25 years old and the components were just about top of the line when it was new.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yes. A new bike will be that much better...

slow
    Unless the bike has sentimental or collector value, I would opt to put the money toward something newer that didn't need a bunch of work. I don't know what the market in your area looks like, but we get some pretty good used bike options for decent prices in our area, so I always buy used.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    Yes. A new bike will be that much better...
    Thatís what I figured. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Iím in south Florida so the market is pretty good for a used bike. Mine doesnít have any real sentimental value nor do I believe that it is collectible. Thanks for the replies!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic0822 View Post
    I was told that I needed a new chain, rear cassette new front shock front wheel bearings and the back wheel needed to be straightened. They basically told me to buy a new bike.
    That's the way of the world. "Hey, the cable has dust on it, better buy a 1x12 carbon fibre 27.5 with overhead door handles and shaved cam shaft".

To get an old bike going, expect to replace the weary outy stuff, like chain and cassette and the middle chainring at least. Also spring for some new tyres, cables and cable outers, and sort out anything broke or bent. If you know what you're looking for, you can get a bike back on the road for not a lot of dollars.

That said, new bikes offer a lot of performance. Old bikes offer a lot of cool, while still offering performance in the right hands.

We used to ride old bikes on the same trails we ride the new bikes on so I don't see there is such a huge gap in performance.

Is it worthless?

Hell. No. The 'dale is cool. I'd buy a new ride but keep that and get it back on the road over time.

Bloody bike shop kids these days, no respect. I have medical issues older than them!

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Haha. Thanks grumps! I hear you about the kids and no respect! I already put a new front tire on it so Iím half way there with the tires. The chain and cassette have seen better days but they only skip on two gears under extreme spinning. At this point I really only need a bike to ride with my kids around the block and on a flat trail around the Everglades. I like cool and performance. Itís like asking me if I would rather drive my Ď72 chevelle that I fully restored about 10 years ago or a friends 2014 as Camaro thatís supercharged. Iíll tale the chevelle any day. 😂 Eventually I would like to get back on the trails. I think for now I may spend the $65 and rebuild the fork and go from there while waiting on a decent used bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Ok so hereís the million dollar question....should I rebuild the fork with new elastomers which after new washers and dust caps is going to be around $100 shipped or find a newer technology fork? Any recommendations on a new fork that will be a direct fit? 👍🏻😬

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    I like cool and performance. Itís like asking me if I would rather drive my Ď72 chevelle that I fully restored about 10 years ago or a friends 2014 as Camaro thatís supercharged. Iíll tale the chevelle any day. 😂
    I'm a Mopar guy. Sorry, I have a higher standard of cool and performance.

Kidding, the 72 Chevelle is a classic - more so because it's got your blood, sweat and knuckles in it.

As for the fork, depends on the head tube. If its 1 1/8" then theres options like a second hander with 80mm travel. Most likely need a new headset and stem as well. Given the purpose of the bike, I'd stick with the Manitous and a rebuild kit.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Iíd rebuild the old Cannondale and install a rigid fork to replace the dead Manitou. You can do everything yourself and save a few bucks. Go for it. If you spend $200, youíre investing short cash on your health and well-being and quality time with your kids. Yeah, new bikes are better, but more expensive. Youíll no doubt have a fun time on the old bike.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Unless the sus fork is something you really want to keep, sell it to some old bike geek who NEEDS it for a project, and use the proceeds to pay for a rigid fork, and half the other pile of stuff you need.

Putting a newer fork on it isn't worth it. Anything that's 1" steerer, and set up for cantilever brakes, is going to be at the very bottom end of the spectrum, and won't work much if at all, better than the Manitou anyway.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Unless the sus fork is something you really want to keep, .
    Yeah I would like to keep some sort of suspension on the front. For now I will be riding on a gravel trail so to spend the time to switch out the other parts itís probably easier to just rebuild the manitou.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    I'm a Mopar guy. Sorry, I have a higher standard of cool and performance.

Grumps
    Mopar. Nahhhh. Haha. 

Worth a rebuild?-ee3a37aa-ca20-484a-96ae-225425514f0f.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ok so hereís the million dollar question....should I rebuild the fork with new elastomers which after new washers and dust caps is going to be around $100 shipped or find a newer technology fork? Any recommendations on a new fork that will be a direct fit? 👍🏻😬
    Rigid fork and the fattest tire you can fit - way better option than that junky Manitou....IMHO.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE3A37AA-CA20-484A-96AE-225425514F0F.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	352.5 KB 
ID:	1234916
    That is beautiful! Tough cars presented in a condition like that tend to make me weak at the knees.

You can't drive that and own a Talon like the bike shop suggested. Get the Cannondale up and running!

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Yeah. The more I think about it the more I want to rebuild it just out of principle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yeah. The more I think about it the more I want to rebuild it just out of principle.
    Cool.

Not that it really matters, but it looks more 1991ish and it's not an SM800. SM800 (or Beast of the East) had a sloping top tube and your's looks level.

Have fun with the rebuild... it's nice to have a back-up bike anyway when one is down for maintenance or for riding to the pub or whatever.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Cool.

Not that it really matters, but it looks more 1991ish and it's not an SM800. SM800 (or Beast of the East) had a sloping top tube and your's looks level.

Have fun with the rebuild... it's nice to have a back-up bike anyway when one is down for maintenance or for riding to the pub or whatever.
    Actually you are correct. I did some digging around and it is actually a 1990 sm2000. This was her original state.

Name:  3DEE6523-3D40-4425-A944-D38EF8FFDDC9.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  33.4 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Worth a rebuild?-25be05b4-b445-46e1-853f-6a01853f9145.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Iím going to pull the fork apart today and see how it looks inside. Iíll update with pics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    How did it go? I'm curious because I just picked up a Stumpjumper with a Manitou SXTI that needs a rebuild. I sorta took it apart to free up some action the elastomers were melted and there is a heck of a mess in there. I since found a manual online but spending my bike money on elastomers only to find other unobtainable parts need replacing is holding my back.
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Worth a rebuild?

My elastomers were completely shot. Luckily all I need to do is replace them and the wiper seals which are both available.