Worksman Wheelset Q and (hopefully) A- Mtbr.com
    illuminaughty

Worksman Wheelset Q and (hopefully) A

Has anyone used a wheelset from a Worksman bike on a Klunker? They are heavy but those oversize spokes are awesome. They would definately create a problem with brake options but for a pub bike way cool.
    :)

Harmonius Wrench
    Well, they are indeed heavy. VERY heavy. That and they bend like butter. Spoke tension is pretty much non-existent. The drum brakes on them are okay, but as for the rest of it, even for pub crawling, they have pretty neanderthal-like technology that won't be very durable.

I have several years worth of maintenance experience with those at John Deere Tractor Works here in my town. Both shop jobs I have had were contracted out to Deere to maintenance those abominations they call trikes. (shiver!) Blecch!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

illuminaughty
    wow! I didn't know that. I assumed by how they were built they would be bullitproof. The ones I'm looking at are standard hubs with a coaster brake. Has anyone else had experience with them like Teds?

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Yep, Gleason Works here in Rochester NY has a bunch, last shop I worked at sold them a bunch of solid rubber tires, and said, "sure we can put those on for you, no charge...." He's right. They are very solid for their intended purpose, but the spokes are used in a wagon wheel sense (kinda like the much maligned Mavic R-SYS of recent history) They rely on their bulk, not tension, to make them strong. In a multi load situation, they won't last long. Trikes are very stable, no side loading, twisting, power sliding etc.
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Worksman bikes is based out of NYC and their best selling bikes are delivery, and utility bikes. In New York deliveries are far more effective on bike than car, these beasts are built to withstand lots and lots of weight being bashed into countless mid-town potholes at speed. I have also come across bikes by them for special needs kids. They used to design and build everything in house.

illuminaughty
    so where was/is the weakness in your opinions? spokes? rim? hub? combinations? Is tension "non-adjustable"? Seems like they would be "bulletproof" with the heftiness involved.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV
    so where was/is the weakness in your opinions? spokes? rim? hub? combinations? Is tension "non-adjustable"? Seems like they would be "bulletproof" with the heftiness involved.
    The spokes are like any spokes you know, just huge, soft and the spoke nipples are a big size that you'll need a wrench to fit, since they won't be compatible with any commonly available spoke wrenches. (Park Tools used to make one, don't know if it still is available)

The wheels are basically department store quality in terms of bearings and races. Pretty basic, no sealing to speak of, and don't adjust up all that great. Dry conditions riding would be best.

The bead seats are sketchy. I wouldn't try anything over 40psi with a tire, and using a folding bead tire or some higher quality wire bead tires may not work too well, if at all. The bead seats on the rims are just rolled steel. Again, pretty crude.

The thing to keep in mind is that these wheels are designed to bend, and not break. Bend they do!

I don't know you well enough to say, but my guess is that if you ever hefted one of these Worksman wheels you would seriously reconsider based on weight alone! But that is purely speculation on my part.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Members who have read this thread: 0