What the hell is this FSR???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What the hell is this FSR???

Hello, I'm in the process of collecting every specialized FSR bike from the 1999 model year (FSR, FSR sport, FSR comp, FSR expert, FSR pro, FSR elite, and FSR DH). I thought I was familiar with all of the various trim levels until the bike it question was posted for stupid cheap so I picked it up. Its labeled as an FSR pro, however, I also own a 1999 FSR PRO frame and its completely different: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx
    So my question is what did I just buy? I'm fairly certain its a 1999 due to the style and use of stickers as the 1998 FSRs were painted, but the 1999 FSR pro is clearly a different bike? I doubt this is all original but the components include a Cook Bros Racing crank, Sram attack shifters, XT FD, and XTR for the rest. I'm aiming to collect the full range of 1999 FSR bikes and just want to know where this one fits in. I even emailed specialized about it. This was the response:
    "
    Thanks for reaching out. I've got to say you've stumped me. I've looked through our old dealer catalogs for 98,99,and 2000 to see if I could find that colorway. I was unable to find that exact combination paint/model anywhere. I tried running the serial # that you've provided as well. I'm curious if this was produced for another market (not US). I'm so sorry that I wasn't able to solve this one for you."
    This bike has me scratching me head in curiosity. If anyone out there is familiar with it and can solve this mystery I will be extremely thankful. I'm happy to take some more detailed pictures if necessary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What the hell is this FSR???-img_20190223_141756123.jpg  

What the hell is this FSR???-img_20190223_141926679.jpg  

What the hell is this FSR???-img_20190223_142056848.jpg  

Sneaker man
    You do realise someone has already put a hit on you for posting about a 1999 bike in this section...
    But anyhoo, what is the serial number, as I would bet it's a 1998 Ground control FSR that was a late yeah runout or warantee frame or something where they had stock but with slight updates for the next year, painted them, decaled them for 1999 and blew them out the door.
    ... or something else entirely .
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I'm not sure where else I could ask this and figured these old FSRs were considered retro by now. Anyways, thats an interesting theory you have however t serial # is PK799003. I'm not entirely sure how to read it but I imagine the in it 99 refers to the year.

No known cure
    I don't remember a red frame FSR in 98 besides the Elite model. The other lower priced models with the same frame you have were blue and Kawasaki Green. I almost bought the Elite that year and was actively test riding bikes.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Yeah, as far as I know there was never a standard (non max backbone) FSR produced in red for 98 or 99. The pro stickers make it even more confusing since it clearly isn't a pro. I'm at a loss.

Sneaker man
    yeah I'd imagine that its a 99 with that serial number.

just becasue it's not in any cataloges doesn't mean they didn't bring out that colour (obviously), usually what you see in the cat is what you get, but sometimes companies do mid year versions or, not special editions but special colours for some reason, maybe they did them in red to sell through stores, or liek I said they were old stock of frames they needed to unload.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    I just think its really weird that they would label it as "pro" when there was already a pro in the lineup, especially considering the differing shapes of the frames. The stickers on the max backbone frames like the pro are not the same shape as the stickers on the regular FSR frames, yet the pro sticker on mine is in the same shape as the standard FSR stickers. Also I've been unable to find another picture of this bike posted anywhere, and trust me I've looked, which leads me to believe it may be a one off prototype. I was hoping someone on here may have the answer but it looks like we may never know for sure.