What am I doing wrong (threaded headset)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

What am I doing wrong (threaded headset)?

I have a Tange Seiki headset on a 91 Schwinn High Plains that is a around town cruiser but I can't get the damn thing to stay tight. I have tighten it down with cone wrenches correctly but by the end of ride of any distance it is loose again. I have tried adding loctite too. WTF is going on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What am I doing wrong (threaded headset)?-20201007_154430.jpg  

Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (about town bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

EAT MORE GRIME
    review this, see if there are any tips you haven't tried

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

Adjustment (Threaded)

Adjustment is easiest if you use two wrenches. You may use large end wrenches, or special wrenches made to fit the wrench flats of the locknut and top race -- but in a pinch, you can get by with a single large adjustable wrench. There is some risk of stripping out the tab of the keyed washer or of its damaging the threads of the steerer if you use a single wrench.
    1. Leave the bicycle right-side-up with the front wheel resting on the floor.
    2. Loosen the locknut. Preferably, hold the top race from turning with one wrench while turning the locknut with another. If using one wrench and the top race starts to turn along with the locknut more than a tiny bit, go looking for a second wrench.
    3. (Skip this step if threads and washer are greased.) Unless the threads and keyed washer are already greased, remove the locknut and keyed washer. Do not unscrew the top race, unless you are going to go on to overhaul the headset -- loose bearing balls might fall out.
    4. (Skip this step if threads and washer are greased.) Grease the keyed washer and the threads of the steerer.
    5. (Skip this step if threads and washer are greased.) Replace the keyed washer, and screw the locknut down most of the way, leaving it loose..
    6. By hand, without using a wrench, screw down the upper head race until the bearings just begin to bind, then back it off about 1/8 turn. (Tightening the locknut will press down the upper head race, due to its slight looseness on the threads.)
    7. Tighten the locknut lightly and test the bearings for free rotation with no excess play. Unless the adjustment is perfect, loosen the locknut and readjust the bearings as necessary. When the adjustment is correct, tighten the locknut fully and check again.

Older French threaded headsets use a serrated or pinned keyed washer which mates with the upper head race. With these headsets, you must back off the locknut farther so that you can rotate the upper head race.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Yeah that is how I did it. We have one other threaded headset bike at the house and I have had zero issues after adjusting it the same way.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (about town bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Some ideas:
    - Are you using two wrenches in order to hold the upper race while you tighten the locknut?
    - Is the locknut actually tightening against the top of the steerer tube instead of the washers + upper race?
    - Are your other races solidly seated in the headtube and on the fork?
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

EAT MORE GRIME
    do the nuts get loose or stay tight ?
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    do the nuts get loose or stay tight ?
    The nuts seem to back off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Some ideas:
    - Are you using two wrenches in order to hold the upper race while you tighten the locknut?
    - Is the locknut actually tightening against the top of the steerer tube instead of the washers + upper race?
    - Are your other races solidly seated in the headtube and on the fork?
    Yes.
    That is a good question. I will double check.
    I am pretty sure but I will double check.

artistic...
    try adding another spacer.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    try adding another spacer.
    This. ^

Another spacer or a thicker spacer.

Sounds like the top lock nut is bottoming out on the steerer and not locking the bearing preload nut. Doesn't take long for the preload nut to work loose with a bit of steering and vibration. A bit more spacer should help, make sure you maintain enough thread for the lock nut to engage.

Grumps