mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wasatch Clamp brakes

When I was in high school, I remember lusting after the Wasatch Clamp linkage brakes, which were sort of similar to the old IRD Widget/ Paul Crosstop design. Unfortunately, they were never in the mainstream distributors' catalogs, and by the time I figured out where to get them, the company had gone under. Anyways, I came across one of them on the internet and bought it right away. However, the particular brake i had gotten was not in the best of shape, as the main pivots had a little more wobble than I had hoped for. Anyone out there know where a set may be laying around, one that is in decent condition?
    Anyhow, here is the link to some good pics of both the Wasatch Clamp brake, along with pics of my former old-school trials bike.
    http://www.geocities.com/pinchflatdotcom/gear.html

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Wasatch connection...possibly.

Try dropping a line to Lee, the owner of Bicycle Therapy in Philly, PA. Lee used to run Wasatch brakes. I don't know if he still has anything laying around or not. I don't remember his web address but a quick search should turn up the shop's information. Hope it helps!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey eastcoaster,
    i just gave lee a call. he said he had sold the things five years ago. sigh. will keep searching for a better set, or maybe try to fix the one i have up a little bit.
    tim
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

Hairshirt Rider

These might work for you

Take a close look at the springs. Which style do you have? If you have the one on the left, I think you'll need some internals that I don't have. I can't recall exactly the change they made, but IIRC somewhere along the line they changed the bushing style.

If you have the one on the right, then these'll be the ticket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i can't say definitively, but i think i have the one on the right. can't be sure, though, i am in germany, and my giant sack of old-school brakes is sitting at home in cincinnati.
    judging from the spring assembly i had, i suspected that the brakes were a later, cheaper version that had more plastic on them than a hypothetical earlier, all metal version.
    the problem with mine was that they just had a lot of play at the canti stud, i don't know if this is a common wasatch clamp problem, or whether i just got a bad or worn out set.
    loudpawlz, how well did yours work in practice? did you have the same play problems i did? mine would have been amazing had it not been for that one problem. any chance you might sell those things?
    one last question: in your pic, the short arm of the linkage has two holes in it, allowing you to vary the length of the short arm. your short arm is set up long. have you tried it both ways?
    tim
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

Hairshirt Rider

Play

There wasn't any more play on this set of brakes than what you typically encounter with a set of decent cantilevers or vees, so I would say the bushings are in good shape. I'll try and hook them up this weekend to get a better idea of how much play they have.

The brakes worked great once adjusted properly. I never did try them with v-specific levers though.

The short arm of the linkage is pinned and rivetted and it never occured to me to try the 2nd hole.

I'd be more than happy to sell them - we can work something out through PM

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Wasatch Brake

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Wasatch Brakes

The brakes above were the first generation of these and some of them did have a bit of play in the bushings. They were only sold for about a year. The re-designed version 2 improved the bushing fit, replaced the o-rings with custom molded rubber seals and had a completely redesigned linkage that was easily adjustable. I still have a few of these brakes both used and new as well as extra seals, bushings and other hardware if anyone is interested.
    Here are some pics of the brakes mounted on my '94 titanium HT.Wasatch Clamp brakes-clamp1.jpg
    Wasatch Clamp brakes-clamp2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thank you for the history lesson

I love this old school stuff. No made in China stickers here