Vintage Race Category- Mtbr.com
    Wanna ride bikes?

Vintage Race Category

If there was a V/R/C category at a local MTB race would you bring a vintage bike and race it?

I'm helping organize a race this summer and I'm temped to add a category for pre 2000 bikes. (Or even pre 1990?) I love the older MTB designs and think it would be really fun to see a collection of them at a local event. I'm just not sure anyone would show up.

Thoughts?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Sneaker man
    depending on the course, i would, but then same reason I will sometimes rock up to local races on my retro bike anyway.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Sure. What region of the country?

artistic...
    Sounds like fun.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Western NY. Pretty far from most epic MTB scenes.

There is one local guy I know that has a pretty sweet collection of classic mountain bikes though...
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Don't listen to this joker, he just likes going fast in circles, while ripping everyones legs off...

Well, you know my feelings on racing, but I'm sure it'd be something folks would enjoy, especially guys that are all into it, but have ridden for a long time.

Likely have a few moldy oldies, and would consider it a fun handicap for their everyday velvety plush, 22 lb, wagon wheeled, FS race rockets.

And no, all my oldsters are too small for you sir!

Edit: Simple sorting tactic instead of years? 26", and rim brake only. FS, HT, SS, rigid, all that's fine. Disc brakes are when things really become more or less as *modern* as they are, today.

My two cents, but I'm a little less strict about what's VRC than a lot of the old guard are.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Wanna ride bikes?
    Oh common, you could enter the Beginner category and just do one lap. That way instead of "riding in circles" you're just doing a Loop.

I like the idea of the rim brake category, that would make it pretty simple.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

hello pot? this is kettle
    I raced my '94 Bontrager Race as my primary race bike until 2010, then switched to my fully rigid singlespeed '90 Bontrager OR. Good enough to podium Cat 1, and even win the NYS championship one season, but eventually *EVERY* single person I was riding against had a 29er and I would struggle to mid-pack it. They really do make that much of a difference.

I would LOVE to see a wheel-size limit class, ok, rim brakes if you must ( and I do!) but there's really no advantage on a typical XC course- tire size and modern suspension are the real performance separators.

Sure, both stop you, discs do have a good bit of an edge in terms of last minute, still precise speed modulation over rim brakes though.

My bigger thought was just that it makes it easier, as a class definer, for a race promoter/director.

No "but my Titus Racer X 29 is 15 year old, and the company doesn't even exist anymore" drama.

As for doing beginner class? Nope, nope, nope. Racing and I shall never meet. Glad it brings you pleasure though, it's a lot healthier than all the hookers and blow back in the 80's....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    If there was a V/R/C category at a local MTB race would you bring a vintage bike and race it?

I'm helping organize a race this summer and I'm temped to add a category for pre 2000 bikes. (Or even pre 1990?) I love the older MTB designs and think it would be really fun to see a collection of them at a local event. I'm just not sure anyone would show up.

Thoughts?
    Yes, especially since it’s driving distance from me here in NJ.
    I have a few late 80s/early 90s mountain bikes.

Just keep in mind the Dirt Rag DirtFest if possible.
    Wouldn’t want two “local” venues drawing away VRC folk that might want to participate.

Vintage Race Category-bcf1259a-38a9-4195-ad1f-eaa0d80c4a00.jpg
    Last edited by CCMDoc; 3 Days Ago at 07:42 PM.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I like the idea, but I don't think the worlds of racing and vintage overlap enough to fill a race field. A year or two ago at a 'wed night worlds' they had a prize for the best vintage bike, I probably should have brought mine, just a few guys brought old bikes, it was neat but kind of just a novelty moment at the event.

There must be some event type to fit the old bikes, I'm not sure that outright competition is where it's at, racers tend to wear out the old bikes and move on, and aren't as much into preservation of the old bikes.
    Maybe a raffle ride or poker ride (with beer of course) and a category/prize/corral for the vintage bikes? My guess is you'll have a lot more people with neat old bikes who used to ride a lot, but maybe aren't quite in race shape, and would rather do a fun/social ride than something race pace.
    Could you have a raffle ride lap after all the racers have started that would include a vintage cat?, at a reduced price? I like that idea, you could include families on a race course at a non competitive pace. It would complicate the event by a lot, but in the long run some of the non-competitive lappers might think racing looks pretty fun, like an introduction without any real pressure.

Rim brakes and 26" wheels or smaller would cover it, -if it was just rim brakes you'd have guys showing up with bikes like my Sworks tri-cross.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    My bigger thought was just that it makes it easier, as a class definer, for a race promoter/director.

Racing and I shall never meet.
    Yeah, I like that it sets some boundaries but it's not overly restrictive. (rim brakes and 26" wheels)

I know, no worries, I'm just giving you a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post

Just keep in mind the Dirt Rag DirtFest if possible.
    Wouldn’t want two “local” venues drawing away VRC folk that might want to participate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCF1259A-38A9-4195-AD1F-EAA0D80C4A00.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	625.1 KB 
ID:	1242577
    Wow, I had no aspirations of drawing people from that far away, but that's awesome that you'd be down for a road trip and a fun event!! It's August 3rd this year, will be posted on Bikereg when the final details are sorted out. (Sweet Yeti!!)

Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    I like the idea, but I don't think the worlds of racing and vintage overlap enough to fill a race field. A year or two ago at a 'wed night worlds' they had a prize for the best vintage bike, I probably should have brought mine, just a few guys brought old bikes, it was neat but kind of just a novelty moment at the event.

There must be some event type to fit the old bikes, I'm not sure that outright competition is where it's at,

Maybe a raffle ride or poker ride (with beer of course) and a category/prize/corral for the vintage bikes? My guess is you'll have a lot more people with neat old bikes who used to ride a lot, but maybe aren't quite in race shape, and would rather do a fun/social ride than something race pace.
    I hear ya, many good points. I wouldn't expect a big turn out, especially the first year, but I'd be happy if we just had enough to fill the podium.

I also like the idea of a more social vibe. I'm sure that would bring out more riders as opposed to racers.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCF1259A-38A9-4195-AD1F-EAA0D80C4A00.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	625.1 KB 
ID:	1242577
    Yeah OK!

Wait, you have a c26 as well now, excellent.
    All the gear and no idea.

Thinking on what others added?

Might help with the vintage aspect if you gave a few handicap points (however that crap works) to the oldest say, 3 bikes.

Just 5 or 10 seconds off their times, or whatever.

Something to encourage them to not grab their last year before 29ers came out whip, and dig hard for that first bike that stole their heart.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you did the event after the race categories, you might be able to have a 'vintage race' within the vintage ride and the folks who already raced their modern bikes could do a race lap on their old bikes; one vintage grid, racers start at the front for times/placing (raffle prizes for all, bragging rights and recognition only for the top 3), fun-riders line up just behind the racers for a non-competitive lap. - just another thought. I wouldn't want to have to choose between racing my good bikes or my old bike, but if I could hang around for an after-event race-lap on my old bike, I would be tempted.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.