Vintage MTB frames with high stack heights and short top tubes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Vintage MTB frames with high stack heights and short top tubes

So I attempted a 26in MTB to drop bar conversion on a 91 Schwinn High Plains that I closely matched my cyclocross bikes but the stack height was so low that I had to use a Soma High Rider threadless adapter and it looks like crap. I want to do a similar conversion again at some point but with a geo more suited to it. Any suggestions? A couple I have seen are the Spec Rockhopper, Bridgestone MB-1 and Raleigh Seneca
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (about town bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

Bikes in jeans
    Can you explain what you mean by stack height? Usually that's just the headset thickness plus any spacers you add to the steerer, or I guess the stem rise in the case of threaded.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Can you explain what you mean by stack height? Usually that's just the headset thickness plus any spacers you add to the steerer, or I guess the stem rise in the case of threaded.
    Vintage MTB frames with high stack heights and short top tubes-stack-reach-1_0.jpg

This.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (about town bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

Bikes in jeans
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stack-and-reach-1_0.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	1333299

This.
    Gotcha, was thinking the wrong stack...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Look for bikes by Paul Brodie and Kona. Their head tubes were fairly long for the time. Also Ibis SS and early Ibis Mojo steel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by whatisaidwas View Post
    Look for bikes by Paul Brodie and Kona. Their head tubes were fairly long for the time. Also Ibis SS and early Ibis Mojo steel.
    Roughly what years would those Konas be?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

artistic...
    Look for mid 80s bikes. MOst if not all of late 80s and 90s was long and low. The tallest, shortest top tube bikes i have seen are late 80s english brands.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    The geometry changed for most manufacturers in '87. Before that was slacker angles and longer wheelbases. High end production "classic" geometry bikes include Pre-'87 Rockhoppers/Stumpjumpers, Schwinn Cimarron, Schwinn High Plains, and the Diamondback Ridge Runner. Early 90s 700c hybrid might make a better platform for drop bar conversion. Schwinn Crosscut, Trek Multitrack, Gary Fisher Sphinx, Diamondback Overddrive and Miyata Triple Cross are some of the top ones.

artistic...
    Just get a stem that places the bars where you want them to be and get a bike that rides as you like. Stack means nothing when you are riding but wheelbase, chainstay length, front angle and tire clearance ... rule.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rbin9 View Post
    The geometry changed for most manufacturers in '87. Before that was slacker angles and longer wheelbases. High end production "classic" geometry bikes include Pre-'87 Rockhoppers/Stumpjumpers, Schwinn Cimarron, Schwinn High Plains, and the Diamondback Ridge Runner. Early 90s 700c hybrid might make a better platform for drop bar conversion. Schwinn Crosscut, Trek Multitrack, Gary Fisher Sphinx, Diamondback Overddrive and Miyata Triple Cross are some of the top ones.
    I want to run 26in tires.

High Plains or High Sierra? I thought the High Plains was a later model.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I want to run 26in tires. High Plains or High Sierra? I thought the High Plains was a later model.
    You're right, the High Sierra came first, doh. Need more sleep.

Bikes in jeans
    What about the early SC Chameleons? I thought they looked almost more like DJ frames. I think some of the late-90's Voodoo frames had similar short TT geometry for the frame size as well.

artistic...
    I want to run 26in tires.

High Plains or High Sierra? I thought the High Plains was a later model.
    A 1987/8 stumpjumper or the ellusive pink team stumpjumper from the era would be the ticket. But then you better build it period correct.

Early Ibis as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Roughly what years would those Konas be?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    Early '90's before front suspension. I sold some Konas around '91 that had tall head tubes, looked like how Paul Brodie makes them. Kona Explosiv, Fire Mountain, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    The tallest, shortest top tube bikes i have seen are late 80s english brands.
    Would that be Raleigh? Are there other English brands that this would apply to?