Vintage e-stay bikes- Mtbr.com
    dirtbag

Vintage e-stay bikes

Searching for a thread on elevated stay bikes in VRC resulted in... not much. So, here it is!

I've always been fascinated by elevated stay mountain bikes ever since I saw my first Alpinestars mountain bike in the long gone bike shop on Norfolk Ave in Virginia Beach in the early 90s. It wasn't until much later that I finally got a hold of one, a tired aged '94 Alpinestars D900 frame off a chap in England.

The grey paint on the aluminum frame was looking a bit weary with the clear coat worn, chipped and a bit oxidized. The replaceable derailleur hanger was corroded and the mounting bolt was a bit rusted. It had obviously been stored a couple years outdoors.

Despite those issues, I decided keep the frame as is and to build it up mostly from stuff in my parts bin and some fleabay bits. I did splurge a bit and picked up a NOS Noleen fork - a funky frame needed an equally funky fork. Yeah, it aint a faithful VRC-approved reproduction, but that wasn't my goal. I wanted a bike I could hop on and have fun riding. Goal achieved.

The pics,

Who else has a e-stay bike from the 90s? Yeti Ultimate? Why no love for the e-stay frame design? It seems to have only lasted a couple years.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There was an ESTAY thread on another forum last year and I counted about 25 different brands of bikes on it. Haro started the trend, I think, in about 1990 or 1991. Just like the fashion industry, it seems everyone jumped on the band wagon and produced an ESTAY frameset. The fad only lasted a couple of years, as the frames tended to be a little heavier than a diamond frame-one advantage I found was that you could remove the chain without breaking it! Here's a shot of my '91 FUNK, now my road bike of sorts, with slicks...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage e-stay bikes-j1058x660-25078.jpg  

VRC Hound
    The E Stay trend started in the mainstream by the Nishiki Alien. The design for that bike came from Richard Cunningham of Mantis and his Valkryie. At the same time Ken Beach at Gecko was making the very nice and still underappreciated Gecko Genesis. MBA helped birth the Yeti Ultimate through their Ultimate project.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Yeah, my search skills suck... thanks Fred! The exact thread I was looking for. Great stuff!
    Amolan

xc'er
    Dec 2010
    I'm a big fan of the elevated stays, if only for uniqueness and personal aesthetic. I have a few in my collection at the moment.... Both a steel haro extreme and an aluminum team extreme, a Nishiki FS-2, a Mantis pro floater, and a Kestrel MXZ. Love them all.
    Both of your bikes are cool as hell

mtbr member
    Craig Mitchell...This guy did some out of the box stuff and may have done one of the first elevated chain stay bikes.
    Another of the early Repack bombing brethren....RIP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage e-stay bikes-craigmitchell_2.jpg  

Vintage e-stay bikes-art_craigmitchell.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Craig was one of my closest friends-we built the first two recumbents in Marin in the early '70's. That bike, built for the Art of The Mountain Bike Show in SF, was the only Estay he built. I still miss him RIP...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I WAS riding this after I rebuilt it. It's in storage right now. I made the mistake of riding it in a fairly technical and long trail. It felt each and every rock on the climb was working against me. Launched it off a few good ledges, landing in melon sized rocks. My kidney and joints hurt for 3 days Really tempted to put a 1 inch Specialized front shock on it. I will bring it out in the summer. It's a 1989, hand cut drops and no serial number Made of 4130 and Nissan steel tubes.

Last edited by bing!; 12-02-2012 at 01:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairfaxPat View Post
    Craig was one of my closest friends-we built the first two recumbents in Marin in the early '70's. That bike, built for the Art of The Mountain Bike Show in SF, was the only Estay he built. I still miss him RIP...
    I believe one of his early road bike modified for off-road is is at one of the local shops here in fax. He welded in a BB shell above the existing one.
    FP would you happen to know the year he built it?
    I'll get a pic in the next couple of days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That bike is hanging in Fairfax Cyclery. I think he built it in about '76.

mtbr member
    Early Craig Mitchell build....Looks like a "Mountainbike" to me.
    THX FP!
    See you on the Hill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage e-stay bikes-imag1024.jpg  

I'm just messing with you
    My wife brought this one home last night, it was at the curb for trash pickup on her way home.

I've never heard of the brand but it looks to be a $300-500 bike from the Shimano 200 level parts on it.

I'm going to single speed it and ride the wheels off it it if fits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage e-stay bikes-clipboard02.jpg  

Vintage e-stay bikes-clipboard01.jpg  

Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    "long gone bike shop on Norfolk Ave in Virginia Beach in the early 90s."

Oceanfront Bikes, I lived in ShadowLawn at the time. Picked up a nice Nishiki Pacific crusier from Kemp. Rode it last night. There's now a brewery in the old WRV.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift

Stokeless Asshat
    I just noticed the sticker on there. My self and that bike might be the only two things that escaped the black hole of Stockton Ca. I don't remember that manufacture though.
    Last edited by jeff; 08-02-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    I just noticed the sticker on there. My self and that bike might be the only two things that escaped the black hole of Stockton Ca. I don't remember tat manufacture though.
    One other thing you might have in common with that bike is your weight. I've run out of parts to remove and it's still as heavy as a whole bike
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Stokeless Asshat
    That's a heavy a$$ bike Bob.
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    One other thing you might have in common with that bike is your weight. I've run out of parts to remove and it's still as heavy as a whole bike

Want:

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    In the built up right now (waiting for stems to be powder coated). 1991 Merlin

Vintage e-stay bikes-1648591-rcuf0pvev8fm-foto-large.jpg

Stokeless Asshat
    That's gonna be nice.

Want:

J3s
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Re: Vintage e-stay bikes

My '91 Bike beat Revolution by Ellison. Looking for some parts to complete buildup..

whoa
    Jan 2005
    Ti-Mega

whoa
    Jan 2005
    Al-Mega XT

GT
    Oct 2009
    Here's a couple of shots of my Savage Terminator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage e-stay bikes-image.jpg  

Vintage e-stay bikes-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    This one's way too small for me (about 16") so it's ridden by the girlfriend but it's a 91/92 Gary Fisher Montare with a full XC Pro group (now wearing XT and lower end Suntour).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member

The last Gecko Genesis

This was my last Genesis I made in 98? I sold the frame only, unpainted with the last sticker set I had. He did a awesome job of painting and assembling and had a local builder make the fork. The stem he got for a song from a guy who could not somehow figure out a bar to fit.?????????
    Thanks Felix for a job well done, I couldn't have done it better!Vintage e-stay bikes-20190610_152658_resized.jpgVintage e-stay bikes-20190610_152821_resized.jpgVintage e-stay bikes-20190610_152756_resized.jpgVintage e-stay bikes-last-one.jpg
    Last edited by geckocycles; 06-10-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.geckocycles.com[/SIGPIC]

There is but one rule in life. "First one to the finish line wins!"
    VVA

mtbr member

Cook Designs Mt. Palomar

Super rare Craig Cook frame from Cook Bros. Racing fame. One of only about 4 or 5 with the half elevated e-stay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage e-stay bikes-cdesignspalomar.jpg  

84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by YakimaDeathYaks View Post
    Super rare Craig Cook frame from Cook Bros. Racing fame. One of only about 4 or 5 with the half elevated e-stay.
    No surprise that I haven't seen one before! Love the brace across the back of the BB shell. Cool details to burn on that thing!

What year, approximately?

Grumps

mtbr member
    Seems I always find something looking for something else.Vintage e-stay bikes-gecko-brosuresm.jpg
    [SIGPIC]http://www.geckocycles.com[/SIGPIC]

There is but one rule in life. "First one to the finish line wins!"
    VVA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    No surprise that I haven't seen one before! Love the brace across the back of the BB shell. Cool details to burn on that thing!

What year, approximately?

Grumps
    This one is from 88-89ish, Craig made 40-50 Cook Design frames and had a racing team. I guess all the team frames are regular frames and only a few were Elevated stays that were never sold.
    84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geckocycles View Post
    This was my last Genesis I made in 98? I sold the frame only, unpainted with the last sticker set I had. He did a awesome job of painting and assembling and had a local builder make the fork. The stem he got for a song from a guy who could not somehow figure out a bar to fit.?????????
    Thanks Felix for a job well done, I couldn't have done it better!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190610_152658_resized.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	354.1 KB 
ID:	1256593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190610_152821_resized.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	352.9 KB 
ID:	1256597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190610_152756_resized.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	1256599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	last one.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	1256601
    My pleasure, Ken. The ser # says 1995. Thx for selling that gem to me.
    purveyor of leftfield brands

Pablo Picasso: "Good taste is the enemy of creativity"

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Horny Toad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage e-stay bikes-horny-toad-2-007.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Mantis Flying V

That Horny Toad is quite the find! Here is a picture of my Mantis Flying V
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage e-stay bikes-19e7373d-3aee-4326-b170-37963d649b9d.jpeg  

Retro-grouchiest
    This Haro Extreme is one I recently missed out on. Thanks to this thread I might reach out to the seller again...

Not exactly my definition of retro, but still pretty cool!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage e-stay bikes-haro-extreme.jpg  

I want something good to die for
    To make it beautiful to live
    I want a new mistake, lose is more than hesitate

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LosAlamos View Post
    Here is a picture of my Mantis Flying V
    That is beyond sexy.

Grumps

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.