mtbr member

vintage e-bay FS

just saw this on e-bay, I used to want one of these way back in the day, until I actually rode one, it was not fun......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...166311876&rd=1

i would rather have an old GP or muddy fox, or whiskeytown FS...... they all rode like crap, but are such art!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    God, I remember thinking how beefy those things looke in the pics in magazines back in the day. Looking at it now, it just looks ill-proportioned, with a massive swingarm and downtube and puny little seat struts and wimpy pivot. Suspension is one are where things have undeniably improved a lot.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    God, I remember thinking how beefy those things looke in the pics in magazines back in the day. Looking at it now, it just looks ill-proportioned, with a massive swingarm and downtube and puny little seat struts and wimpy pivot. Suspension is one are where things have undeniably improved a lot.
    Those things were way ahead of their time I think though. The downside was the lack of air spring technology. No negative springs. Too bad it doesnt have the original fork.

mwr
    brain donor
    I have a Sonoma on which I've replaced the original suspension with a WB SC90 and a Risse shock (yes I still have the originals) and it works very well. It is lighter and far stiffer than my Pro Floater which has half the travel. As FB pointed out the air suspension technology was a limiting factor and Crosstrac boldly but perhaps unwisely built theirs from scratch, but the chassis design is sound. It is most similar to the Mountain Cycle San Andreas which is either still being produced or was until recently, although the Crosstrac has a far more elegant seat arrangement with greater range of adjustment.
    Last edited by mwr; 06-29-2005 at 09:32 AM.