Positively negative
    Mar 2010

Updating a Klein Attitude

Last week my boss asked me to build him a hybrid so he can get back in shape after a knee replacement. I knew he had an old Attitude in the basement so I suggested we put on a rigid fork and 1x drivetrain and he loved the idea. Dug it out today to find a press fit bb and oversized steerer ( MC2 stem/bar I believe). I'm wondering if there are any easy (relatively inexpensive) way to install a rigid fork?

Sneaker man
    They used some wonky sized tapered fork, think the only way is to find an original fork (could be wrong though, klein experts will be in soon with real clues)

if it'smin good nick you could probably sell it and buy a nice hybrid from the cash... well depending on what year it is, Klein Kleins are $$$$$$ Trek Kleins are like $1.50
    All the gear and no idea.

What size fork does it use? I have a hard eddie carbon fork that's 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 that's corrected for suspension.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    What size fork does it use? I have a hard eddie carbon fork that's 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 that's corrected for suspension.
    1 5/16"

Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    1 5/16"
    Is thatthe diameter where the bearing race fist on the fork or the inside diameter of the steerer tube?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Is thatthe diameter where the bearing race fist on the fork or the inside diameter of the steerer tube?
    Where the stem clamps. I think these use a headset similar to Headshocks where the fork presses into the headset bearings. I'm not sure the diameter of that interface.

Sneaker man
    yeah its a wacky size, not compatable with new tapered stuff.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ebay currently has several 1 1/8 adapters for Kleins.
    Latitude 61

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Problem solvers makes one for $48 your local shop can order. Or go fancy with: https://www.kleinspainted.com/store/...apter_Set.html
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Looking for help identifying Klein Attitude, does anyone know how to identify from serial number, etc.? Would like to know what I have.

Sneaker man
    I think theres an "official klein thread" that has a bunch of that info.

He be a moose too.
    The serial number is on the BB shell. Post a picture here and people can let you know.

To put on a new fork isn't necessarily easy to do correctly. You're going to need the adapters and new bearings. This isn't cheap. If you want a rigid fork on it, it's probably easier to keep the current suspension fork and lock it out. Maybe someone here knows how to do it. I have one suspension fork that is so old that no matter how hard you push on it, it's essentially a rigid fork. Oh, if it's MC2, you need an MC2 spanner also or something jerry-rigged to get the stem/bar off.

There is a decent chance if you've not changed an MC2 setup, you won't do it right and it will be loose and creak, etc. With a standard headset, you can update the parts, the MC2 setup is one of the worst for doing that. It's part of it's appeal and part of it's weakness.

The ones on ebay (that I could find) are for MC1. The adapters that Red Mantra (been a long time Red!) posted may or may not work. I haven't heard from anyone, positive or negative, how they function and I wouldn't risk them not functioning well quite yet.

Post up some pictures and let's take a look, we aren't even sure if it's MC1 or MC2.