Tunturi Matrixx Minoic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tunturi Matrixx Minoic

Here is my (most likely 1996) Tunturi Matrixx Minoic MTB/ATB bike. Tunturi is/was an old finnish bicycle manufacturer which is nowadays owned by Accell Group and sells...well, mostly bulk. The parts are nothing special (mainly Shimano Alivio) and something from my parts bin but after an overhaul everything works well. The frame is rather nice though, it is plasma-welded and zinc-coated Rautaruukki chromoly.

Tunturi Matrixx Minoic-14733282.jpg

The build is mostly complete now, but I need another stem (a Tioga would match the headset), a silver-coloured seatpost and maybe a more period-correct saddle. And perhaps some purple bling
    Last edited by kyttyra; 08-16-2019 at 09:45 AM.

artistic...
    I like it and the Rautauruuki chromoly tubing (?) is now on my list to have...
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    I like it and the Rautauruuki chromoly tubing (?) is now on my list to have...
    Rautaruukki translates (roughly) to Iron mill. It was a Finnish steel factory that nowadays is a part of SSAB company. I'm not completely sure about the tubing, but if I send the frame number to Tunturi customer service, they should be able to tell me more. I've heard they are usually helpful with these kind of questions.

EDIT: unfortunately the customer service could not help as Tunturi factory had no longer information of that bike in their archives - and the persons who could have known more are already retired.

The project seems to be going to a period-correct direction as I found a 130 mm Tioga Alchemy stem which matches to (original) Tioga headset:

Tunturi Matrixx Minoic-14734230.jpg

Coming next: a 12-32 cassette (which will give this bike a rather nice 509% gear range even when compared with wide range 1x -drivetrains) and a new chain (the old has streched less than 0.75 per cent so I think there is no need to change the chainrings - and in any case those 67? BCS chainrings are hard to find). And maybe that silver-colored seatpost.

For the upcoming winter, I already have some Nokia Hakkapeliitta spike tyres which are correct in every way

EDIT my only woe is the frame's tire clearance: the rear tyre is 55 mm wide and there is about 5 mm space to both chain- and seatstays - so no fat 26" knobbies w/o crimping :/
    Last edited by kyttyra; 08-19-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 20