SunTour Group Hierarchy- Mtbr.com
    CS2
    mtbr member

SunTour Group Hierarchy

What was the hierarchy for SunTour MTB groups circa 1985 - 1986? Did SunTour use Dia-Compe brake levers or SunTour branded?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I remember XC and then XC Sport although I am not 100% sure as that was long ago.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

slow
    I remember Dia-compe brakes and brake levers being standard equipment with my early Suntour drivetrain equipped bikes and those we sold in the shops at which I worked. I think the Suntour Roller Cam equipped bikes also came with Dia-Compe brake levers.
    Seems like the first Suntour brake levers I can remember were in about 1988 when the XC9000 and XCD groups came out.

I can't remember the heirarchy well, but I think this is close:
    Superbe Tech
    Le Tech
    Mountech
    AG Tech
    AR

1986:
    XC
    XC Sport
    Mountech
    AG Tech
    AR

1987:
    XC9000
    XC7000

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    I remember Dia-compe brakes and brake levers being standard equipment with my early Suntour drivetrain equipped bikes and those we sold in the shops at which I worked. I think the Suntour Roller Cam equipped bikes also came with Dia-Compe brake levers.
    Seems like the first Suntour brake levers I can remember were in about 1988 when the XC9000 and XCD groups came out.

I can't remember the heirarchy well, but I think this is close:
    Superbe Tech
    Le Tech
    Mountech
    AG Tech
    AR

1986:
    XC
    XC Sport
    Mountech
    AG Tech
    AR

1987:
    XC9000
    XC7000
    I had a 1987 GT Avalanche with XC 9010 derailleurs. They were custom painted white along with XCD 6000 white shifters. The brakes were Dia Compe roller cams with DC levers. I found that one on CL in 2007 for $40 and later sold it to another MTBR vintage poster.

Back then though, I was on a Schwinn High Sierra with a XCD 6000 group with DC levers and a roller cam out back and cantis up front. Eventually, I ran a Superbe Pro RD and ran road RDs up until the first gen XTR came out. Mostly for quicker shifting and clearance for racing DH. This was well before suspension.

I remember the look on my high school baseball coaches face when I told him I wasn't playing ball the next year because of mountain bike racing. I'm not sure he knew what it was in 1986. Anyways...

ETA This may help Date of Manufacture of Bicycle Components can be used to date a bike: component dating
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I had a 1987 GT Avalanche with XC 9010 derailleurs. They were custom painted white along with XCD 6000 white shifters. The brakes were Dia Compe roller cams with DC levers. I found that one on CL in 2007 for $40 and later sold it to another MTBR vintage poster.

Back then though, I was on a Schwinn High Sierra with a XCD 6000 group with DC levers and a roller cam out back and cantis up front. Eventually, I ran a Superbe Pro RD and ran road RDs up until the first gen XTR came out. Mostly for quicker shifting and clearance for racing DH. This was well before suspension.
    I remember those Avalanches. We sold a couple of those, but the Karakoram was our biggest seller that year.

I ran a Shimano 105 short cage on a XT rear derailleur on my Bridgestone MB-1s for the quicker shifting and because I was running a 12-26 cassette that didn't require a long cage. On my last MB-1 I also ran a Campagnolo Chorus road front derailleur for faster shifts between chainrings. It required more careful trimming of the front derailler with the thumbshifter, but was worth it.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    I remember those Avalanches. We sold a couple of those, but the Karakoram was our biggest seller that year.

I ran a Shimano 105 short cage on a XT rear derailleur on my Bridgestone MB-1s for the quicker shifting and because I was running a 12-26 cassette that didn't require a long cage. On my last MB-1 I also ran a Campagnolo Chorus road front derailleur for faster shifts between chainrings. It required more careful trimming of the front derailler with the thumbshifter, but was worth it.
    I loved the ride of my MB2. That one was a freak bike with a XTR RD with a XC Pro rear shifter. I had no FD. Just a 38T Shimano tandem timing ring. I might have to hunt down a late MB.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post

I remember the look on my high school baseball coaches face when I told him I wasn't playing ball the next year because of mountain bike racing. I'm not sure he knew what it was in 1986. Anyways...

ETA This may help Date of Manufacture of Bicycle Components can be used to date a bike: component dating
    I had a 1990 GT karakoram w/ suntour X1, dia compe brakes but can´t remember what crank was there. The X1 shifters were clunky... but everything lasted. It was a mix of X1, dia compe and something else suntour. Much nicer than shimano 400 on same price point bikes. I took a lot of pride on that suntour group.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I set up my 10th Anniv Fat with XC Pro all around except hubs, bb and casette. And pedals. Was there a seatpost and headset? Thise i also did “aftermarket”
    Oh sorry thats after the time period specified

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    I set up my 10th Anniv Fat with XC Pro all around except hubs, bb and casette. And pedals. Was there a seatpost and headset? Thise i also did “aftermarket”
    Not sure on the post but there definitely was a headset made. Broke the pedal spindle on the GG version once.

Back to levers, why do I keep thinking there were ST br levers even in '86? We're all aware of the DC version but I could swear there was/is a Suntour one.

As for RD's, am still using a 600EX on my '89 Stumpie Team with 11-36 9s in the back and 24-34-44 up front with XT fd. Hard to go back to a long cage after running shorts for decades. Just picked up a -92 Stumpie Comp at this years Charmurian (Lemurian) in Redding two weeks ago. I need another 600EX to replace the XT rd long cage and DD fork too to take off the Futureshock somebody added after the fact.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Oh sorry thats after the time period specified
    I have a the xc seatpost and i know there was an xc pro though both look absolutely the same. Otoh it´s not the post you want on a fat 10th. It´s max. diameter was 27.2 and length was a conservative 300mm. It was heavy when compared to a Syncros for example BUT functionally it may well be the best mtb seatpost ever made. Nice setback,micro adjustability and a firm secure clamp. Cons: clamp allen bolts strip very easily and they are proprietary.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.