Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The single consolidated official drop bar thread

303K views 719 replies 171 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 · (Edited)
Edited for clarity, I hope

There are some drop bar bikes that are set up really well and some that aren't. I'm hoping the ones that are set up really well predominate in this thread. I see some bikes posted in other forums that are really bad and it would be nice for folks to be able to find properly set up drop bar bikes in one place as a reference of sorts. VRCers seem to have the hang of setting up dirt drops. I know there are a few styles of offroad drop bars, and people have different preferences, but generally proper dirt drop bar setup fall in a pretty narrow range.

Enough people ask about this topic in this forum, and you see plenty of people using drops these days on new bikes, how about nice repository for properly set up bikes, vintage or otherwise, with drop bars. Let's include links to external resources like Shiggy's and Guitar Ted's, good photos of 'proper' setup, philosophy, anything that will help the newb when they decide to try drop bars offroad.

http://mtbtires.com/site2/features/37-bikes/85-why-i-ride-dropbars

http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/2008/10/drop-bar-for-mountain-biking-part-i.html

See less See more
#58 ·
The frame is a Specialized S-Works steel frame from '93/'94. I had it refinished so any rust would be treated the inside is treated with J.P. Weigles frame saver. The brakes are IRD (Interloc Racing Design) Widget's. I bought them back in the day ('94) directly from Rod after extensive emailing (!). They took for ever to come across the pond and came with catalogs, stickers and a Rocketboy inc T-shirt (Which i do not have anymore, wore it to pieces). They work perfectly and are very strong!
The stem is a bit flexy, but that makes for a very comfortable ride. The best i have ever had!

I use the bike around 3 times a week and is fitted now with Tom Slicks 26"x1" for road use. The chainring i use is the 40 teeth one.

Specs:
Frame: Specialized S-Works
Fork: NOS Tange from the beginning of the '90's
Headset: Specialized steel (!) just beautifull and solid
Stem: Nitto Dirt Drop
Handlebar: On One Midge (it just feels so right!) deannodized
Tape: Cinelli
Levers: Shimano Sora/Tiagra combo
Brakes: IRD Widget
Seatpost: Nitto Specialized S-Works
Seat: SDG Bell Air titanium
Seatbolt: Odyssey Svelte titanium
Cranks: Shimano Deore XT 180mm
Pedals: Crank Bros Candy SL
Bracket: Specialized titanium
Chainring: Surly stainless 34/36/38/40 depending on use
Chain: Shimano HG-70
Cassette: Shimano HG-70 8-speed
Hubset: White Industries Tracker
Skewers: Salsa titanium
Rims: Araya RM-14
Spokes: DT Competition DB
Nipples: DT brass
Tires: Panaracer Smoke and Dart

Gr. Allard

#59 ·
27 years of dirt drops

#7 cunningham, cinellis with superbe levers and suntour barcons. #C 'ham,same setup. both bars were flaired and spread. willits 29"er, salsa bell lap bars with shimano STI and interupters.

Attachments

#62 ·
den haag said:
i still have #7, although i'm restoring it to it's original glory, including the clampon bullmoose bars. they have downtube shifters brazed on top. and the willits was made custom for me, so it'll never go away. did you notice the dettos in the top pic?
Great action photo....
The mud buildup on the cams reminds me of some past wet days from around here......

#71 · (Edited)
Mr Pink57 said:
Where do you guys get the 1" threaded stems that large? Best I got was a Nashbar 130mm 70deg rise (I think) and that did not do much.
1. There are several lower end bikes from the threaded era that came with stems promoting upright handlebars.

2. Salsa P10, P7.

3. WTB, Cunningham, Potts, Ibis etc. LD Style stem.

4. Nitto Dirt drop

5. Custom stem builders.

To keep the price in check and acquire a vintage style stem, I would suggest checking Rivendell's site for a Nitto Dirt Drop, or Bens on the bay. If perfect fit is more important than price or vintage, go custom. If you want to hang out with the really cool people, plan on spending a year or two searching and dropping close to a half a grand for the whatever size is available when it finally comes up LD. I believe someone here on the forum sold a stylin Salsa P10 for a couple of bennies two weeks ago on the bay.

All the above is just my opinion and fun rambling. In all reality, owning an LD is not an invitation to hang out with the cool people. I am still here with the geeks.

Cheers,
T

#77 ·
Drop Bar Monstercross

Excellent thread. The Phelan shots I haven't seen on the net ever (Rock Shox drop bar competition bike)

Thought I'd add a few modern monstercross, stemming from John Tomac's Yeti drop bar thrasher with the Tioga rear disc to Cunningham's aluminum swan neck drop bar to Singular UK's do-it-all. I remember seeing the Peregrine a few years ago and thought - WOW! - that's how a drop bar monstercross bike is done. It helps that the guy that runs singular knows how to dress up a bike, too! :cool: Almost pulled the trigger but had a jones' for aerospace titanium. Below are some shots from the collection I amassed from MTBR forums over the years, the Amaro ti is an instant classic, and the Japanese-boutique lugged steel fixie with front hub brake on 2.3 Exiwolf's got me good. Enjoi.

#78 ·
Nice.
I really like the idea of a monstercross bike. With the popularity of rigid 29ers, I'm surprised so many are going for the suspension corrected mtb 29er frames and fugly suspension corrected rigid forks, rather than a much more elegant monstercross setup.