Silver/chrome rear derailleur- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    35

    New question here. Silver/chrome rear derailleur

    Hi! I'm looking to convert my early 1991 Karakoram to a 1x10 setup. Will something like a 10 speed 11-42 cassette fit? It's on Deore LX the moment.

    I want the derailleur to be chrome, dull chrome or "raw alu", not interested in "painted" silver. Does a thing exist? The Microshift R10 derailleur shows the look I'm after (but it doesn't have the range needed): https://www.microshift.com/en/product/rd-r47-rd-r47s/

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iamkeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    836
    I think you could safely use that derailleur with a 36t cog if that was enough. Maybe get a longer B screw. Woolftooth makes an extender link that will allow you to go even bigger, but that sort of "shifts" your range rather than increases it.

    Remember that you'll need shimano road shifters (or bar ends on pods) rather than shimano mtb shifters. 10 speed is when the later switched to Dynasys which has a different cable pull. Also, shorter pulley cages tend to work better for 1x setups. Since you don't need to wrap as much chain, they don't slap around as much.

    Otherwise, I think you're SOL on finding a proper, silver finish unfortunately.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,456
    If that gt 7 or 8 speed? If it's 7 you'll need a new hub. Anything 9 speed is sure to work with 10 speed. 8 is compatible as well.

    If you're going 1x though you might as well get 10 speed Shimano slx or xt. No sense in running a half assed kit, looks are great but function is most important

    The derailleur you listed above doesn't have a clutch. That's one of the key features you'll want for a proper 1x setup. Clutch helps to keep the chain tight and aids in keeping the chain on the ring. Very important if you'll be hitting any bumpy trails. You might be able to get by without it but it's not something I'd consider as reliable or safe.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    88 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    35

    New question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    If that gt 7 or 8 speed? If it's 7 you'll need a new hub. Anything 9 speed is sure to work with 10 speed. 8 is compatible as well.
    It's a 7 speed Deore LX. New hub, duly noted. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    If you're going 1x though you might as well get 10 speed Shimano slx or xt. No sense in running a half assed kit, looks are great but function is most important
    I found the Sram X0. (Partially) true chrome. Seems like a good alternative?Silver/chrome rear derailleur-35374_.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    The derailleur you listed above doesn't have a clutch. That's one of the key features you'll want for a proper 1x setup. Clutch helps to keep the chain tight and aids in keeping the chain on the ring. Very important if you'll be hitting any bumpy trails. You might be able to get by without it but it's not something I'd consider as reliable or safe.
    Wont go for that one.

    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    Remember that you'll need shimano road shifters (or bar ends on pods) rather than shimano mtb shifters. 10 speed is when the later switched to Dynasys which has a different cable pull. Also, shorter pulley cages tend to work better for 1x setups. Since you don't need to wrap as much chain, they don't slap around as much.
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    Otherwise, I think you're SOL on finding a proper, silver finish unfortunately.
    See above picture.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,456
    Here's what I would do.

    That XO 10 speed rear deraileur (use anti seize when installing onto frame)

    X0 or X9 10 speed shifters (XO's are really nice)

    SRAM 10 speed chain

    Shimano XT or SLX 10 speed cassette

    Narrow wide ring in whatever size you want (In the correct BCD for your crank)

    New (or used) rear wheel with 9 speed+ hub (shimano style freehub, not SRAM Driver) FREE SHIP 48 STATES* MTB Wheelset PROMO SALE Vuelta ZeroLite Comp Aluminum Wheelset, Alloy Hub MTB Disc Brake Wheelsets
    83 Ritchey Everest
    88 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-09-2011, 06:27 PM
  2. Silver brazing on top of chrome?
    By Walt in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 08:01 AM
  3. rockshox recon silver tk silver question
    By bigturd in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 07:36 PM
  4. Rockshox Recon silver R or silver TK?
    By seano26 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 10:16 PM
  5. Salsa Semi 29 silver - Please specify silver!
    By megalow maniac in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 08:45 AM

Members who have read this thread: 33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.