Should I buy this litespeed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Should I buy this litespeed?

Hi All, A friend has an old litespeed that he mentioned was taking up space in his garage. It looks to be mostly original and in great shape, but the lack of disc mounts and the threaded headset makes me wonder how useful it would actually be? The brakes look interesting, are they Is there any modern fork that would fit this frame? Is it in the 1995 year range? What would be a fair offer?

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I buy this litespeed?-dsc00611a.jpg  

Should I buy this litespeed?-dsc00612a.jpg  

Should I buy this litespeed?-dsc00608a.jpg  

Should I buy this litespeed?-dsc00609a.jpg  

Should I buy this litespeed?-dsc00610a.jpg  

Mtn Biker Machinist

Don't bother

too much headache, just tell me where it is, and I will take it off his hands!

Seriously, it's a nice bike, and if the price is right for you, jump on it. Lack of disc mounts is seen as a requirement in this forum!

What's it worth is a sticky subject here, but checking finished eBay auctions is a good place to get an idea of what similar bikes have sold for.

frog

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    It's considered a no-no to ask for valuations in this forum. Ask your friend what he wants for the bike, if he's a good friend (and has no interest in further using the bike) I'm sure he'll give you a fair deal. The parts appear to be a mix from different years.

mtbr member
    That bike has a ton of nice parts.

Bird watcher
    $300-400 would be my guess but, would you really want a Litespeed?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki
    It's considered a no-no to ask for valuations in this forum.
    Why is this? I've never seen this in any other forum?

seems like an innocent enough question. why all the big secrets in this forum?

gobsmacked Moderator
    you should see our handshake.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielus
    Why is this? I've never seen this in any other forum?

seems like an innocent enough question. why all the big secrets in this forum?
    That goes back a loooong ways.

Check the sticky at the top of this forum and read through it..you'll get a bit of VRC history.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelon
    That bike has a ton of nice parts.

LX hubs, sweet!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    That goes back a loooong ways.

Check the sticky at the top of this forum and read through it..you'll get a bit of VRC history.

It certainly does. maybe too long. cant say I've seen that in any other forum. imagine going to a golf forum and asking someone what a vintage golf club might be worth and having the forums memebers try to hide that value. quite entertaining this place.

I guess it's just a few people just tryig to rob newcomers out of their bikes.

is it working?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    ...cant say I've seen that in any other forum.
    That's why we're unique!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgirlonbike
    you should see our handshake.

its a secret im sure

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    That's why we're unique!
    your part of the secret handshake club too?

artistic...
    It certainly does. maybe too long. cant say I've seen that in any other forum. imagine going to a golf forum and asking someone what a vintage golf club might be worth and having the forums memebers try to hide that value. quite entertaining this place.

is it working?

i want to rob your bike.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Would you like a powerbar wrapper?

I'm part of the no-outting, no value discussing because it just turns this place into a free classifieds section club.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    mhaskell

I'd say that bike is worth about 800.00 or so

I beleive those cranks sell for quite a bit on ebay. Probably close to what colker1 quoted you on the whole price of the bike. those brakes are somewhat expensive too. Its a nice bike

artistic...
    mhaskell

I'd say that bike is worth about 800.00 or so

I beleive those cranks sell for quite a bit on ebay. Probably close to what colker1 quoted you on the whole price of the bike. those brakes are somewhat expensive too. Its a nice bike
    i didn't quote anything to anyone. good luck on your crusade...
    litespeed sucks.. i hope you ride one yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm part of the no-outting, no value discussing because it just turns this place into a free classifieds section club.
    thats funny. why isnt it like that on any other forum? people ask valuations all the time. looks like people who are the ones down playing this are the ones sending messages and buying turning it into a classifieds section. there re two parts to a sales transaction. a seller and a buyer.sounds like there are more buyers here than sellers.

artistic...
    thats funny. why isnt it like that on any other forum? people ask valuations all the time. looks like people who are the ones down playing this are the ones sending messages and buying turning it into a classifieds section. there re two parts to a sales transaction. a seller and a buyer.sounds like there are more buyers here than sellers.
    ********. do you have any proof of what you are saying or just want to look like a knight in shinning armour?
    hey... feel free to post on those lovely sites you mention. bye.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    i didn't quote anything to anyone. good luck on your crusade...
    litespeed sucks.. i hope you ride one yourself.

I guess thats why you probably sent him a message wanting to buy his bike. I wonder if he's recieved any other messages. i bet he has. this place is so obvious. mhaskell have you recieved any messages from buyers? I'd say that bike is probably worth 1000 if you sold it.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Do I hear 1200?

artistic...
    I guess thats why you probably sent him a message wanting to buy his bike. I wonder if he's recieved any other messages. i bet he has. this place is so obvious. mhaskell have you recieved any messages from buyers? I'd say that bike is probably worth 1000 if you sold it.
    That's a lie. You either come up w/ that message, signed by me, or you will be known here as a liar.

VRC Illuminati

is it working?

You got part of it right. It is/was also a function of other forum members knowledge and help being taken advantage of.

Not the case here I don't think...but I would say this question would be better off in the WIW thread.
    -eric-

artistic...
    so? Gabrielus.. i am waiting for you to come up w/ that message i supposedly sent trying to rob that litespeed.

better check your head before typing or opening your mouth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I will take some better pictures once I get home tonight, also try and get the serial number to find the year.

mhaskell

I beleive those cranks sell for quite a bit on ebay.
    Not that much. $150 is the going rate.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    so? Gabrielus.. i am waiting for you to come up w/ that message i supposedly sent trying to rob that litespeed.

better check your head before typing or opening your mouth.
    I noticed this forum, you especially, love to argue. perhaps a deficiency of some sort
    see the probably part of my original response. in english that is 80% certainty which leave 20% open. you are a boring little boy. I have no more time to play with you.

You are wrong. We do not love to argue

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

artistic...
    I noticed this forum, you especially, love to argue. perhaps a deficiency of some sort
    see the probably part of my original response. in english that is 80% certainty which leave 20% open. you are a boring little boy. I have no more time to play with you.
    See, if you had made a mistake you would apologise.
    W/ this reply you proved YOU are ONE BIG LIAR. it wasn't a mistake. you just invented the whole thing to troll and lie away.

mtbr member
    Mhaskell is looking to buy not sell. Stop raising the price on the guy. Heck, I say offer $100. But then again, if you wan't disc brakes, better not offer anything. Suggest to your friend that Ebay would be the way to go, or have him buy a classified add on Mtbr and post the bike there.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

VRC Hound
    Hilarious. There are a couple Litespeeds I'd be interested in but not this one.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Mhaskell is looking to buy not sell. Stop raising the price on the guy. Heck, I say offer $100. But then again, if you wan't disc brakes, better not offer anything. Suggest to your friend that Ebay would be the way to go, or have him buy a classified add on Mtbr and post the bike there.

Haha! In his attempts to help, Gabrielus totally c-blocked the guy!
    -eric-

artistic...
    hell is paved w/ good intentions.

mtbr member
    It is a decent bike, and the guy sounds like he is trying to make his friend a decent offer for it. Parted out it could be worth more, but if he is going to ride it as is and use it, I'd say offer him $500. There aren't many new bikes as nice you can buy for that, and it is a nice bit of change for your friend. Less than that would be your call, but not beyond the pale.

The brakes, frame, and cranks are quite nice. The components higher end and functional. The only issue might be the fork needing a rebuild. Other than that, it should have a lot of good miles left.

If I were the friend and you offered me $500, I'd knock a bit off that in order to pass along a bike I like to a person I like, but YMMV.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Can you say ****tard on here?

****tard

Nope, guess not

Certified Bike Junkie
    sounds like there are more buyers here than sellers.
    Um, duh. Collectors by their very nature tend to be more often buyers than sellers.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook
    Not that much. $150 is the going rate.

Thats about right.

Only the NOS parts get the big bucks.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Gabrielus took a great thread and made it outstanding. Props.

mtbr member
    LX hubs, sweet!

You kill me!

illuminaughty
    I think up to around $600 would be fair...maybe a bit more, hopefully a bit less..
    :)

mtbr member
    The judy fork is crap elastomer 60mm travel.
    The frame is nice titanium but depends on geometry. Probably steep, which may be ok for you. Be sure it has a long enough top tube and feels right.
    Parts are only nice if you have some affinity for old school historical stuff. Lots of people do, but new stuff is usually better een in lower price ranges.
    Unless you are into collectable stuff, you can get a way better bike for 1k. People with bikes like that sometimes think they are super great, just because they used to be 15 years ago.
    I would say 500 tops, if it rides like a dream.
    Oh the fork. I have one like that and its 1 1/8 which means you can easily find a good replacement.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Can you say ****tard on here?

****tard

Nope, guess not
    Coulda sworn someone got away with a$$hat once......

How did I miss this? Musta been asleep at the wheel.

For the record, let me state, forums are made up of communities of members. These are made more interesting and valuable, through the intangible things they offer. In our case, a passionate group of folks who vastly prefer riding old fart bikes, and selling cool bits to each other. As such groups often become kinda tight knit, unusual traditions and rules develop over time. As long a the rules those communities set up don't prevent anyone from saying their piece, prevent participation, insult, or demean individuals I personally see no issues with whatever rules are put out there. They are what make things comfortable, and unique.

Go to McDonalds and ask for a beer, sorry, their rules prevent it. You don't like it? I'm sure there's a half dozen pubs around that'll give you a better burger, and a nice cold one to wash it down with.
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Go to McDonalds and ask for a beer, sorry, their rules prevent it. You don't like it? I'm sure there's a half dozen pubs around that'll give you a better burger, and a nice cold one to wash it down with.
    I must admit that I've cursed this particulat forums "rule" a few times, bejng a prospective buyer of a nice, old frame (I've broken and thrown away all my first bikes - 6 of them between '88 and '96, some pretty unique in hindsight). So here I am keeping a watch on local ads and such.
    Now and again something interesting surfaces, but in most cases I haven't got a clue nor can find out what the street value is.

Ebay isn't god, nor does McDo have a straight set of rules http://eurokulture.missouri.edu/?p=2493.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco
    I haven't got a clue nor can find out what the street value is.[/url].
    Street value is irrelevant, as it doesn't exist with odd, old stuff. If you find it, have been looking for a long time, over a broad array of marketplaces, and, or, you just plain want it, what you're willing to pay is all that counts.

It's well documented on eBay in terms of most production stuff. Beyond that, it's a function of how much you're willing to pay for something that really gives you wood, that most "normal" people would look at you cross-eyed for spending just about anything on. It's just an old bike fer cryin' out loud.

If you pay $1000 for an old POS with no historical significance or provenance, and have no research to back up said price, then you either have too much money, or too little power of reason.....
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Value is what the market will pay. On this forum, the market is tough because you have a bunch of people who know and appreciate old and obscure products.
    However, I'm sure that somewhere, there is a garage sale going on with an old handmade Breezer or Ritchey frame going for $20. If the seller thinks that's all that its worth, and the potential customers at the garage sale are not likely to see it as any more valuable than that, then the value in that "micro-market" is $20.

Members who have read this thread: 0